CrazyBoards.org

The doctor I went to a while back to go back on my meds has what I thought was a psychologists in her office. She is the one who has been telling the doc what meds to put me on. When I go in I talk to her for a few minutes but she has no history or anything about me. Can she do this? I mean is she qualified to tell the doc what I should be on?? Is that even legal??

Unfortunately, that's not such an unusual price tag. If I didn't have insurance, my combo of Adderall XR, Abilify, lithium, and Effexor wouldn't be far from it. Though, I'm surprised the meds the op listed would be quite so expensive, as all but abilify are available as generics.

A couple of those medications can be filled at Costco for super cheap- even without a Costco membership.

One of my therapists is a MSW [social Worker], and frequently makes medication *suggestions* to my pdoc. The decision is ultimately the pdocs, but input from your therapist can be incredibly helpful at identifying which symptoms are the most distressing and need addressing.

I'm not a psychiatrist, but I play one in the county jail. I do make recommendations about meds, even dosages, to the doc who prescribes. The formulary is pretty limited and I extensively research all the known cautions and contraindications. Still, it scares me a bit that I am trusted to such a degree.

Archived