CrazyBoards.org

Anyone out there with food allergies?

: (

Is anyone aware of themselves having any food allergies/sensitivities? I have been diagnosed as allergic to many common foods (wheat, dairy, soy, peanut, beef) and my sensitivities do not cause hives or anaphylactic shock or anything but rather make me exhausted, depressed, angry, itchy, gassy, sick feeling. Anyway, so I seem to always crave these foods when I am down/want to binge and almost can't get rid of the binge urge even with a lot of food until I have eaten something with a lot of one of these ingredients. Then I feel spacey, like i'm in a daze, calm almost like i took some sort of drug. Then the above mentioned symptoms come and last for a long time. So my point is, I am concerned because I know these foods are hurting me in addition to my ED hurting me. Sometimes I wonder if I should not bother trying to avoid purging bc keeping the food in me is also damaging... which is worse? Has anyone else had sensitivity related cravings?

-Amanda

I have food allergies. Symptoms range from upsetting my stomach to headaches to making it difficult to breathe. In a couple instances, a lot of the food would cause anaphalactic shock. Mostly I find that when I crave one of these foods, I can eat it without symptoms or with only minor symptoms. It's like my body needs some nutrient or something. I don't ever crave some of the foods. The ones I do, it's not often.

Desiring foods even when it will make you ill sounds like self-harm. It may be part of the ED.

Are you working with a therapist?

I have food allergies. Symptoms range from upsetting my stomach to headaches to making it difficult to breathe. In a couple instances, a lot of the food would cause anaphalactic shock. Mostly I find that when I crave one of these foods, I can eat it without symptoms or with only minor symptoms. It's like my body needs some nutrient or something. I don't ever crave some of the foods. The ones I do, it's not often.

Desiring foods even when it will make you ill sounds like self-harm. It may be part of the ED.

Are you working with a therapist?

Not working with a therapist right now, just an ADD coach. I have no money and no health insurance for a therapist. Mom and dad are paying for the counselor out of pocket, which i feel guilty about. But at least it is def helpful. cant ask them to pay out of pocket for a therapist too.

May be self harm. Not sure. I eat these foods to put me in a daze, which i guess if I analyze my avg binge episodes is often in response to big anxiety moments. Maybe I just need an as-needed anti anxiety med. Course that will be pretty hard to get as well with no health insurance.

I do have an appt Friday with a psychiatrist (again, paying out of pocket ;) ) to get a prescription for antidepressant bc have been on no meds for months and having a real hard time. Probably going to ask for Zoloft bc that is the only one i know of that might be affordable w out health care.

Anyone know of an affordable as-needed anti anxiety med? (affordable even w out insurance that is)

I'm partially lactose intolerant, though I don't think that counts as an allergy (rather as not being able to digest certain enzymes).

Well, it's more a matter of not being able to digest certain sugars because you can't produce enough lactase.

Also, it can hurt a hell of a lot more.

I'm partially lactose intolerant, though I don't think that counts as an allergy (rather as not being able to digest certain enzymes).

Well, it's more a matter of not being able to digest certain sugars because you can't produce enough lactase.

Also, it can hurt a hell of a lot more.

I worded that wrong. I meant to say that it's not being able to digest properly due to a lack of certain enzymes (in this case, lactase).

Is anyone aware of themselves having any food allergies/sensitivities? I have been diagnosed as allergic to many common foods (wheat, dairy, soy, peanut, beef) and my sensitivities do not cause hives or anaphylactic shock or anything but rather make me exhausted, depressed, angry, itchy, gassy, sick feeling. Anyway, so I seem to always crave these foods when I am down/want to binge and almost can't get rid of the binge urge even with a lot of food until I have eaten something with a lot of one of these ingredients. Then I feel spacey, like i'm in a daze, calm almost like i took some sort of drug. Then the above mentioned symptoms come and last for a long time. So my point is, I am concerned because I know these foods are hurting me in addition to my ED hurting me. Sometimes I wonder if I should not bother trying to avoid purging bc keeping the food in me is also damaging... which is worse? Has anyone else had sensitivity related cravings?

-Amanda

Is it possible you can stock your house with food you are not allergic to? I've found the best way to deal with cravings for food you shouldn't eat, is to eat something that is very similar but will not cause the problem that the craved food will. I have a problem with high carbohydrate, so if I want "chinese fried rice" I'll shred up cauliflower, and stir fry it in a nice bit of bacon fat, egg, soy sauce, sprouts, and chop up some nice fatty pork. It totally does the trick and I no longer much want chinese rice, and the finished product is a lot healthier too.

If I want, say, brownies with walnuts, I'll make brownies using a fine quality ghiridelli chocolate, lots of walnuts, butter, eggs... but I'll use almond meal and coconut flour and various other very low starch ingredients for the bread component. I'll replicate the effect of sugar by using splenda, erythritol, and polydextrose. THe finished product is delicious, healthier than store bought brownies, and does not aggravate my blood sugar.

SInce you are allergic to dairy and wheat, I would recommend keeping your pantry stocked with rice/nut/seed/other non-wheat based bread and starch products.

If you want peanut butter, almond nut butter is available in many health stores, or you can make your own nut butters by grinding pecans, macadmias, etc (often taste better than peanut for a double bonus).

Replacing dairy is a bit of a trick, since most dairy replacements are made of soy... but they do sell almond milk products, which may help. A dairy allergy sounds tough, my sympathies with that one. Coconut oil can replace butter/cream in a lot of applications and if you get a proper one (nutiva) it tastes very delicious.

You are allergic to so many pleasant foods, it seems only natural that you would be driven to binge after having to deprive yourself all the time. Most people will feel spaced out after a binge, eating a lot is sedative. If you spend a bit of time learning how to change your diet so that you feel less deprived this might help with the binge urges. Just an idea.

Find foods that you enjoy and tolerate well and you may find yourself less driven to binge on the foods you can't tolerate.

-Amanda

Is it possible you can stock your house with food you are not allergic to? I've found the best way to deal with cravings for food you shouldn't eat, is to eat something that is very similar but will not cause the problem that the craved food will. I have a problem with high carbohydrate, so if I want "chinese fried rice" I'll shred up cauliflower, and stir fry it in a nice bit of bacon fat, egg, soy sauce, sprouts, and chop up some nice fatty pork. It totally does the trick and I no longer much want chinese rice, and the finished product is a lot healthier too.

If I want, say, brownies with walnuts, I'll make brownies using a fine quality ghiridelli chocolate, lots of walnuts, butter, eggs... but I'll use almond meal and coconut flour and various other very low starch ingredients for the bread component. I'll replicate the effect of sugar by using splenda, erythritol, and polydextrose. THe finished product is delicious, healthier than store bought brownies, and does not aggravate my blood sugar.

SInce you are allergic to dairy and wheat, I would recommend keeping your pantry stocked with rice/nut/seed/other non-wheat based bread and starch products.

If you want peanut butter, almond nut butter is available in many health stores, or you can make your own nut butters by grinding pecans, macadmias, etc (often taste better than peanut for a double bonus).

Replacing dairy is a bit of a trick, since most dairy replacements are made of soy... but they do sell almond milk products, which may help. A dairy allergy sounds tough, my sympathies with that one. Coconut oil can replace butter/cream in a lot of applications and if you get a proper one (nutiva) it tastes very delicious.

You are allergic to so many pleasant foods, it seems only natural that you would be driven to binge after having to deprive yourself all the time. Most people will feel spaced out after a binge, eating a lot is sedative. If you spend a bit of time learning how to change your diet so that you feel less deprived this might help with the binge urges. Just an idea.

Find foods that you enjoy and tolerate well and you may find yourself less driven to binge on the foods you can't tolerate.

I like these thoughts and ideas O.W. ;) Thank you. I do deprive myself I guess with food in general, beyond staying away from allergy foods, I just have a really weird diet in general. It might help to be a bit less strict with my diet. Like I am either eating tons of veggies and fruit and that's it or I am eating really fatty/sugary food and a lot of it and sometimes those foods to which I have reactions... maybe there is too much restriction. Thank you again for the ideas :) Glad you've found a good way to compromise with yourself

-Amanda

Archived