CrazyBoards.org

Son Just Switched to Vyvanse

gizmo

I know we are not a third party site, but I wanted information from someone who knew, and this is the most knowledgeable group of people I know. If you can help, I appreciate it. If not, I'm sorry I bothered y'all.

My son (12, 100 lbs) was just switched from Adderall XR 25 mg to vyvanse 30 mg because the Adderall wasn't covering his behavior the full school day... by sixth period, he was totally inattentive and distracted and unable to focus. In addition, we are having extreme difficulties completing his homework (we start homework at 3:30 pm) because of his behavior and attention issues.

What should I expect from the vyvanse? Do you feel that it lasts longer than Adderall XR? Is a 9-10 hour effective period too much to ask? Does it have any stomachache issues that you have experienced? (The reason we had to stop Concerta, the medication he was on before Adderall XR) Does it make it any harder to fall asleep at night than Adderall XR?

Thanks again for your input.

Considering this shit runs in families I think we need to be a bit more open about the 3rd party site stuff. A lot of times understanding MI in siblings and offspring helps us understand ourselves.

It's the "My kid is fucked up and broken! How do I fix him?" posts that we want to discourage.

I've been on damn near every stimulant out there in every formulation. I've never found one that lasts more than 6-8 hours.

The sustained release formulations are designed to get kids through the schoolday so they don't have to leave the classroom to take another dose, or so they can take their meds in the AM without ever telling the teacher they are on them. They leave kids high and dry for homework, after school activities, social activities, etc.

I don't know about Vyvanse, but the best you can hope for with all the ones I've been on is enough to make it through the school day and then take another dose after school. Once upon a time I was taking Dexidrine spansules twice a day and then short acting dexidrine at the end of the day just to get me through a 14 hour day of school plus work.

Vyvanse is supposed to last longer and not have as harsh a dropoff, but I doubt you'll get 12 hours of coverage out of it. IMHO it is reasonable for a person with ADD to expect that their brain function properly 12 hours out of a 24 hour day. Don't sell your kid short by letting a doc tell you that 8 hours a day is enough. ADD effects everything you do, from schoolwork, to family activities, to socializing with peers, to personal hygiene. Stimulants help with all of that. You need a couple hours for it to wear off before bed but there's no reason not to have coverage the rest of the time if you can time the doses right.

Twice daily dosing with one of the existing SR/XL formulations is the way to go, IMHO.

If you can't get a doc to give him 12 hours coverage, drop the stims and go for 24 hour coverage with strattera. It's not as good, but it doesn't leave you stupid just when you reach the point in the day that you finally have some free time.

Twice daily dosing with one of the existing SR/XL formulations is the way to go, IMHO.

If you can't get a doc to give him 12 hours coverage, drop the stims and go for 24 hour coverage with strattera. It's not as good, but it doesn't leave you stupid just when you reach the point in the day that you finally have some free time.

I know my POS HMO won't cover 2/day on any SR/XL psych med, and rubber-stamps rejections on 3/day regular-release stimulants regardless of what the PI/approval documents actually say.

The catch with even a tweaked amphetamine like Vyvanse is that once it's in the bloodstream the kidneys start pulling it out. However, if Strattera or Wellbutrin for 18- to 24-hour coverage doesn't quite work, *maybe* adding back a 2/day stimulant at a low dose could work.

Does it make it any harder to fall asleep at night than Adderall XR?

What's helped screw up my sleep cycle more is staying up after the Adderall wears off - and THAT makes it harder to get to bed at a reasonable time. (Rotten sense of passing time, too many web pages to click on, etc.)

If the kid was older and bigger, a warm cup of mocha would help kick the brain just enough into gear to shut itself down for the night gracefully. Too much caffeine, on the other hand, could just keep the poor guy awake.

I know my POS HMO won't cover 2/day on any SR/XL psych med, and rubber-stamps rejections on 3/day regular-release stimulants regardless of what the PI/approval documents actually say.

In that case I'd just take generic MPH 4-5 times a day and pay out of pocket. It's pretty cheap.

I say 16 hours. Or else it might be really hard to fall asleep, or perhaps just to go to bed at the right time! Also, any sleeplessness may be rebound instead of the medication itself. Hard to know.

Schools are funny about meds. But sometimes they'll hold the mid day dose and let kids go and get it.

My stims are in individual tablets and I just take them when I need them, which turns out to be two or three times a day. I don't have a hard crash off the stuff, so sometimes I don't notice them wearing off. As happened a little while ago and now I'm up past 3AM!

If the kid was older and bigger, a warm cup of mocha would help kick the brain just enough into gear to shut itself down for the night gracefully. Too much caffeine, on the other hand, could just keep the poor guy awake.

FWIW - I use that one a lot. Works well.

~ May

Archived