CrazyBoards.org

How do I start....

Ok, I am training for a 1/2 ironman that is July 18, 2010; for those of you who are wondering, this a race that is 1.2 mile open water swim; 56 mile bike and 13 mile run.

I'm confident on the swim and I've biked 56 miles before but the longest i've run in a race is 9.3 miles (and it was a running race only, no swim or bike first)

First week of December indoor biking begins for my club

Since the First week of December my weekly program has included but certainly not limited to the following

Sunday 6-9am indoor bike

off day - no workouts

Tues 5:15-6:30 swim

Wed 5-6:30am bike

Since the first week of December, by the time Wednesday rolls around, I am beat, dead tired, literally drowsy driving home, crawl into bed, stay there most of the day fatigued, depressed, ready to quit life, please pass me a bottle of pills.

I would snap out of it around dinner time and then be OK and then the remainder of the week, my workouts went fine.

So that was the 1st 4 weeks - i was about to drop that wed bike class

week 5, I noticed that around 3pm i was feeling better

week 6 I noticed that again, early afternoon i was coming out of my sluggish depressed slump

week 7 I was good to go by 10:30

week 8 - this would be TODAY

NO fatigue, wide awake, energized ;)

NO sleepy driving

NO depressive, kill me now intrusive thoughts

My point is this: you can't wish away the depression, you can't take some meds and think they will work like magic, everyone has energy - it's just a matter of tapping into it!

Most of all... when you try something new to feel better and it doesn't work or have long lasting effects right out of the gate, you have to try and try and try again

I am so happy that I am not depressed today I had to share

I know that next week may not be this great - but maybe it will

but if it isn't i know that maybe the following week it will

This is a topic I harp at to my husband, who is very sedentary and has all but given up on trying to make his right side function better... I hope to not offend anyone here, he gets mad at me for leaning on him to improve himself.

PS hubby has his MRI friday to see if any tumor has sprouted

wow! it's great that you've gotten to a place where you feel great.

"My point is this: you can't wish away the depression, you can't take some meds and think they will work like magic, everyone has energy - it's just a matter of tapping into it!

Most of all... when you try something new to feel better and it doesn't work or have long lasting effects right out of the gate, you have to try and try and try again"

i agree. i just need to get myself motivated to tap into my energy.

Giving it 5 + weeks, like you would any new "med" seems like sound advice.

However, I'm like your h. I have all sorts of excuses and no answers for how to get myself any exercise. I even own a wii, with EA sports Active (which is ok, circuit-type game/exercise routine) but it's the DOING that has me stopped.

Because you opened my flood gates, here it comes!

I want to have a consistent plan, but when any little hiccup comes up, I drop the plan all together. I hope tonight to sit down w/dh and see if we can figure out some contingency plans and an overall plan for me. I need his help because we have 3 kids, and NO, I am NOT going to include them in my exercise. They have plenty of outdoor playground time (while I walk around the playground a bit before sitting and knitting) and they have their own gymnastics and dance classes. I need some more ME time in my life, and exercise sounds like a good way to get it. Plus, if you've ever tried to herd a 3, 6 and 9 year old together to go for a walk (2 older on bikes, little one in stroller, me walking)...omg, you know that at the end, it is more an exercise in frustration than any real exercise. I may do that again when the weather is warm in ADDITION to some me time exercise, but not now. As for getting up "earlier" - yeah bite me. On my good days I get up between 5:30-6am. Dh leaves shortly after because he bike commutes (why yes I am jealous that he gets extended alone time and combines exercise into his daily routine!!). I am not a morning person. I spend the first 90 minutes I'm up slowly drinking coffee, having something to eat....I am not getting up at 3am, to be ready to walk by 4:30am, so that I'm home by 5:30 before dh leaves for work. I'm just not. The kids are up by 7 or earlier, and on my worst days, I sleep in until they get up. I have no plans to change my long morning routine. I'm sure you're :) at me, and all my excuses by now, but WAIT, there's MORE! ;) I *could* exercise at the rec centers the kids take their classes at...but I have THREE children, and on a good day, only 2 are in class at the same time. So I need childcare for one. And even though it's inexpensive, it feels like one too many expenses. maybe tonight I'll try. Tonight, while the 6 year old is dancing, I can put the 3 year old in child care, but their limit is 8 years, so the 9 year old has to sit outside the workout area (there are couches) and read (I think he might). So maybe I have a solution for one day. Unless the 3 year old freaks out at drop off care.

If you care to live my life and tell me when I'm exercising, I'm all ears...but I'm sure I have more excuses too, so forewarned and all that :)

Lilac,

my whole life up until last spring was centered around taking one kid to gymnastics, and the other to skating; each 3-4 times a week. My older one went thru the whole dancing thing too (trunk full of old dance recital outfits in basement). Add in that for the last 2 1/2 years dh couldn't drive (due to his cancer). I lived in my car most days. I feel your pain ;)

so now my older one is on the highschool gymnastics team - she stays there after school and my younger one quit skating (both -total bank and time drainers of sports)

hubby just started driving again - he now owes me 2 years of running errands haha

I'm going to share with you what my trainer told me

think of an airplane, and the instructions we all get each and every time... "in the event of oxygen loss, place the mask over YOUR OWN face before your children"

we have to care for ourselves first if we are to be any good for anyone else

your 3 yr old will survive childcare :) I still have this one memory of the gymanstics teacher pulling my little one from my arms screaming, Nooooooooooooo... and ya know what? the teacher told me that she was happy as a clam as soon as i left lol

best of luck and let me know how it goes

How do I start....

My point is this: you can't wish away the depression, you can't take some meds and think they will work like magic, everyone has energy - it's just a matter of tapping into it!

Most of all... when you try something new to feel better and it doesn't work or have long lasting effects right out of the gate, you have to try and try and try again

I am so happy that I am not depressed today I had to share

I know that next week may not be this great - but maybe it will

but if it isn't i know that maybe the following week it will

How do I start.... (yes, that does seem a good place.)

Good for you. Genuinely good for you. No irony or bitterness intended.

But while I consider seriously what you have said, it largely doesn't seem to fit me, or where I am, (though that does include being seriously unfit.)

One size does not fit all, and what has worked for you may not work for others.

If I have untapped resouces of energy, I have not found how to tap into them.

I am beyond un-energetic, beyond tired: I am weary.

Weary from exactly fighting week after week after week, when each day is a first step, no flow or bouncing stride developing to give one "flow"

Try and try again is my last 20 years... after so many weeks of "maybe it will" (and that is a fair and positive outlook, I agree)

the objective value of the odds is difficult to overlook.

"OK, what haven't we tried?"... Which is why I'm being referred to the consultant in charge of the local ECT suite.

I've been depressed fit as well as not fit: it's not an obvious way out *for me*. If anything the leverage is the other way round: when I am less depressed I become more active, and my fitness improves, but trying to force that by reverse influence and exercising first doesn't seem to work.

(once upon a time, 21 miles in a morning, cross-country, with a 30lb pack, but I got to that sort of state by accident, as a side-effect, not by planning).

Largely it hurts and it gives me far too much time to think. Dangerous, for me, currently.

Good luck for your mood, your training and your iron-man. Excellent news.

But it is your answer, I suggest, not an "everyone..." one.

Archived