CrazyBoards.org

I always look up "drug/vitamin interactions" for my medications, and I haven't found anything about caffeine. However, I've been reading up on actual posts from people, and they're saying it's bad. Is it? For example, I just enjoyed a nice can of Coca Cola Zero (my favorite). It has only 34 mg of caffeine. Is that okay? I can buy caffeine free soda, I have no problem with that. But in the future, like if I'm out and want Starbucks or something. What's wrong with drinking caffeine on Risperdal, or other antipsychotics? Will it make it not work for me? Cause that makes me feel sick just thinking about it...

I don't think the issue with caffeine is that there is a drug interaction. The issue is how individual people are affected by caffeine. It doesn't make the medicines less effective, but it may cause additional symptoms that need to be treated. It is a stimulant and can stimulate some people a little (or a lot!) too much.

I personally have to cut back on caffeine when I'm feeling anxious or starting to feel on the manic side. It compounds my problems. I have to take an ativan if I drink too much coffee because I get so anxious and paranoid, I will have a panic attack. It is not a problem for me when I am feeling well. I can drink plenty of coffee and not get anxious. The exception for me is consuming caffeine in the afternoon or later. it doesn't matter if I'm well or sick, if I have caffeine after 2 pm, I will not be able to sleep.

What does caffeine do to you? Do you get the jitters? Do you become overly anxious, paranoid, racing thoughts? Does it cause insomnia? If not, caffeine may not be a problem for you. You just have to find your acceptable level because it is different for everyone.

i'm on 3mg risperdal a day and a 1/2 kilo of coffee a week.

tea and cola are apparently different though, but i think it's just in reference to chasing risperdal with those... if there's a time gap, i'm petty sure it's OK, i drink cola

To answer your question, I get paranoid and anxious when I drink too much of it, and it leaves my stomach hurting like it's hungry. I'm feeling that way now. I'd forgotten how it felt and I regret drinking the caffeine now. I just wanted the taste... So I'm definitely gonna buy caffeine free stuff now. I'm glad to hear there are no direct drug interactions at least, but I could see Risperdal being less effective like you said, because now I feel on edge. Luckily I know it'll go away, plus we're having some class party in one of my classes, so I'll be able to eat to soak up the soda lol.

Do you have any chamomile tea handy? That can help to counteract the caffeine.

I really need to switch to decaf. I love coffee so much. I can handle one cup, but I tend to drink more because I love the taste. I always regret it because I get so crazy later.

I always look up "drug/vitamin interactions" for my medications, and I haven't found anything about caffeine. However, I've been reading up on actual posts from people, and they're saying it's bad. Is it?

Even though caffeine is NOT a stimulant, some people are much more sensitive to the physical effects of it than the general population.

It does interact with some medications, which is why it's sometimes added to increase their effects (aspirin and theophylline come to mind,) but it does not interact with all meds.

What's wrong with drinking caffeine on Risperdal, or other antipsychotics? Will it make it not work for me?

Nothing at all wrong with drinking it in moderation, because they work in entirely different ways through different neurotransmitters. The problems would be if you're taking an AP in order to get some sleep (caffeine does promote wakefulness) or to control severe anxiety (it increases heart rate and blood pressure a bit, which can't be comforting during a panic attack.)

Just make a deal with yourself to swap out one or two sodas or cups of coffee a day with a glass of water or an herbal tea (preferably not sweetened)

Thank you for all the replies. I do love tea, and if I want something cold, I could have iced tea. Plus there's caffeine free tea. I wish caffeine affected me positively like it does some people...some people are like "I need my coffee and I do great!" All that happens to me is I feel unrest.

I totally understand that. When I used to be on 240 mg Geodon, I was too snowed and stupid from it to think of coffee. I couldn't concentrate on a thing. Then one day my mom said, "JUST TRY SOME COFFEE!" And so I did. It was a miracle lol. I could actually move around and play video games (I hadn't even been able to do that). I kept drinking coffee till I went off. But it seems that if I'm not sedated, it's bad for me and I freak out.

Archived