CrazyBoards.org

I think I need to take Seroquel for insomnia but am already morbidly obese. Is there a safe dose I can start at that is perhaps not well known for causing the weight gain? I mean the lowest possible dose that would also make me sleep peacefully. I am truly hoping there is such a dose.

If the problem is insomnia, with minimal psychiatric symptoms (e.g. symptoms of depression, mania, psychosis)... well then you can try other things besides seroquel.

1) Melatonin

2) 5-htp (my preference, as I find melatonin to be unbalancing for me in a way that 5-htp is not)

3) Sleep hygiene (waking up at the same time every day, bright light in the morning, little light before bed, no caffeine a few hours before bed, stuff like that)

4) lunesta, ambien

5) For sleeping, benadryl offers similar benefits as low dose seroquel (histamine blocking). Benadryl also causes weight gain, but it is less intense than seroquel.

6) Making sure to be active during the day so that you wind down at night, a bit of mild exercise can help.

There are lots of options besides seroquel... and if you are using seroquel only as a sleeping pill, that's a really expensive sleeping pill, hehe.

I think I need to take Seroquel for insomnia but am already morbidly obese. Is there a safe dose I can start at that is perhaps not well known for causing the weight gain? I mean the lowest possible dose that would also make me sleep peacefully. I am truly hoping there is such a dose.

Why do you have your heart set on taking Seroquel?

Have you ever tried anything else for your insomnia? Anything from changes in your routine, over the counter medications, etc?

hmm.. everybody replied to my question with more questions...?

ughh. My pdoc knows what i should and shouldn't be on. I think the only part she objects to with the seroquel is the weight gain.

I really, really need to know if weight gain is dose-dependent. Can somebody plz answer this for me? PLZZZZZ. Thank you.

Guest Vapourware

I agree with the others that you should try other alternatives before trying Seroquel, especially if you are concerned with your weight gain. OW has put up a good list for starters.

Archived