CrazyBoards.org

meds and tooth decay

When I was on Tegretol, it did a number on my gums and made my teeth super sensitive. It didn't give me dry mouth. My dentist recommended I use the toothpaste Sensodyne. It helped. What helped the most of course, was getting off of Tegretol.

Several anticonvulsant meds are known to erode tooth enamel. If one of these is in your cocktail... If enamel is the problem, I've heard of some promising results with products containing Xylitol (sp?).

xylitol is a good suggestion too. i think you can even buy it in packets (like sugar packets). i bought some gum on the net once that had a lot of xylitol in it and they sent me a bunch of free packets.... i'll have to look it up.

well, i'm not sure what it was but i know you can buy all sorts of stuff with xylitol in it at the healthfood store. i think that mouthwash that i listed above even has xylitol in it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest randome

I think one thing to look out for on drugs that cause weight gain (e.g Zyprexa) is your blood sugar because it's not going to be good for your teeth if your levels get too messed up.

Archived