CrazyBoards.org

Body modification instead of SI

I'm thinking of getting my eyebrow or nose pierced as kind of an SI substitute. I also plan on getting a couple of tattoos, partially for that reason. (The tattoos I want have a lot of meaning to me, too.)

Does anyone else do this? Is it still maladaptive, since I'd be getting someone else to inflict the pain on me instead of doing it to myself?

Strangely I find that I will not cut on the areas where I have tattoos. I love the artwork too much to mess it up just because I had a momentary attack of the crazies. So maybe it might be a better solution for you. They certainly look nicer than the scars when you show your friends.

I do body mods as a substitute for SI. My old doc just blew off my realization of this so I found a new one. I had my tongue and nipples pierced and have about 15 or 16 tattoos. I got them all where I could cover them up when I feel ashamed of why I got them, but like you they all have a deep personal meaning to me and sort of tell my life story. Just do your research on the shop you go to and don't be afraid to shop around and always look at a portfolio.

Archived