CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone else have these types of stupid habits?

I have this ritual where I run my fingers down my nose, then rub my cheeks, then touch under my chin (looking for grease, which there would be none since I have clear skin but my fingers probably make it worse). Then I have to go in the bathroom and wash my face (with just water). Then I do the same ritual again, only then am satisfied that my face feels dry and grease-less. I also have to touch my armpits and smell my fingers that touched them (just like in Superstar only not as dramatic). Then I sniff my right forearm. Then I'm done. It seems like nothing at the time but as I've written it out now I see how awfully ridiculous it is. I want to stop doing it but I doubt I can. I mean I could, but I'd feel somehow "wrong"

you should watch mtv's true life- I have OCD on MTV.com

Doesn't really sound like obsessive compulsive disorder though becuz usually ocd is very very pronounced an interferes with normal functioning. Sounds like you've just got comforting habbits or something. I've got some of those too everybody does. you'd be surprised.,

Linda, we're not doctors here and we don't diagnose people.

Koali, if you are concerned about these behaviors, you need to talk to a therapist or psychiatrist about them. We're not really qualified to tell you whether or not you have OCD.

olga

*sorry* should've said "in my opinion" cuz thats all that was meant.

Also i gave her the suggestion to watch a show about ocd cuz i thought that if she *did* have it she might recognize herself in the people in the documentary. so wether i thought she had it or not i was giving her a chance to compare herself to real people with the disorder. just trying to be helpful wasn't playing doctor.

Linda, it'd be best if you refrained from giving your opinion on people's diagnoses. Instead, refer them to the pinned threads that describe the illness and recommend they see a doctor. It is impossible to know what someone has or doesn't have based on a few lines of text. There always is much more to the story. A doctor or therapist can discuss symptoms and life with the person. They have lots of training. They can do what we cannot. Okay?

I know it's strange but I was wanting to see if anyone had similar problems. It wasn't because I felt I was the only one, but I'm interested in other people's types of rituals. I haven't heard of that show but it sounds like something I might find interesting. I appreciate the replies anyway though, from everyone. I suppose any diagnosis can have some issues, but I'm pretty sure I believe I have OCD. Just not like how it's portrayed in Monk or anything, thankfully.

Not diagnosed OCD, but I do the thing with the "checking" for grease if that's what you're referring to. I do that alot. If no face wash is available, I wipe the grease off my face with a tissue or paper towel. I'm REALLY weird about my ears being greasy, so if I'm out, I might wipe them our several times, and my neck.

I'm really weird about other things. Like I just dyed my hair and I'm constantly checking to see if it's faded. It was like two days ago and I always look to see if it's fading. I don't knwo why the idea of it fading bothers me so much because I could just dye it again, but I check that all the time. And when I get a new hair cut? Yeah, that's RIDICULOUS. If I LIKE the hair cut, I'll check every five minutes to make sure it hasn't grown out in some funky way. This will usually only last the first few days. But yeah, I do weird shit like that a lot.

I used to worry about my armpits stinking up the place all the time, but that went away. In highschool, if I realized I'd forgotten to put on deodorant for the day, I'd go home sick or skip school if the school nurse didn't believe my feigned illness.

Sorry if that was stupid or not what you were talking about, but I do embarassing things too. What you said didn't even sound ridiculous to me, it seems rational because it's something I would do.

THE EMPEROR: No, yours weren't stupid or anything, I'm glad you posted this. Some of that sounds a lot like me. Even though I'm sorry that you have to deal with that, I feel good knowing I could hear from someone who deals with the same thing as me. I've done the haircut thing too lol. So you're not so ridiculous at all, unless I'm ridiculous...then we both are.

Thanks! To other people this seems like odd behavior, I'm sure. I was just explaining some of this shit to my friend yesterday and she says "thank god I was born normal" which was actually kinda nice. Anyway, to me, these things are totally normal because I've lived with them my whole life. Ha, some of that shit I hadn't even told my therapist!

lol I guess it's normal in an abnormal way. Therefore, other abnormal people see it as normal. You probably could have said a lot weirder stuff and I probably wouldn't have thought it was that weird. Like the person in one of the boards was saying they bite their skin and eat it and I was like, "Hm...that's REALLY not that weird" lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's a few weeks late, but I do a lot of those same things. If I touch any "gross" part of my body, I smell my hands. I also do the face thing, mostly for acne. If I know I have acne, I'll feel my face for it constantly, even though I know it hasn't changed from one minute to the next, I keep checking it.

In general, I've found compulsions MUCH more difficult than obsessions to deal with. For me, it seems like if I can control one compulsion, another one pops up. Then, I suppress that one, and another.

I also have a compulsion to squeeze my eyes closed real tight, or open them real wide, or otherwise contort my face muscles. Also, fingers I have to squeeze close together, or far apart. Sometimes I take Clonidine, and it helps with this since it falls into a tic-like category, but it's still a trouble!

Archived