CrazyBoards.org

Hey everyone, I'm new here.

The other night I saw on the news about a lady who died in her sleep from Corbon monoxide poisoning. I got started to get worried, "what if my house is filling up with gas right now and I don't know!" I was going to sleep with my window open so if there was gas it would go out the window, (keep in mind that it's the middle of winter). But if I did that someone could come through my window. I got scared and started to cry, I started getting a headache from "The gas", That made it worse.

I went out to the kitchen to make sure all of the pilot lights were lit and went back to my room, "What if I blew out the fire when I checked them!" so I went and checked them again, by now I'm getting lightheaded, I almost called my father to come get me.

I thought about taking something to help me sleep but If I did I wouldn't be able to wake up and get out of the house if I needed to! I got my self so worn out that I fell asleep (After checking the pilot lights Two more times)

Well it's safe to say that I woke up the next day.

Now that I look back it was silly of me to think that just because I saw it on tv that it was going to happen that night. but at the time the fear and the gas were real.

I need to get control of this, I can't keep staying up till all hours of the night for imaginary fears, night time is the worse time for me.

Any tips?

Sleepless in PA.

Hey everyone, I'm new here.

The other night I saw on the news about a lady who died in her sleep from Corbon monoxide poisoning. I got started to get worried, "what if my house is filling up with gas right now and I don't know!" I was going to sleep with my window open so if there was gas it would go out the window, (keep in mind that it's the middle of winter). But if I did that someone could come through my window. I got scared and started to cry, I started getting a headache from "The gas", That made it worse.

I went out to the kitchen to make sure all of the pilot lights were lit and went back to my room, "What if I blew out the fire when I checked them!" so I went and checked them again, by now I'm getting lightheaded, I almost called my father to come get me.

I thought about taking something to help me sleep but If I did I wouldn't be able to wake up and get out of the house if I needed to! I got my self so worn out that I fell asleep (After checking the pilot lights Two more times)

Well it's safe to say that I woke up the next day.

Now that I look back it was silly of me to think that just because I saw it on tv that it was going to happen that night. but at the time the fear and the gas were real.

I need to get control of this, I can't keep staying up till all hours of the night for imaginary fears, night time is the worse time for me.

Any tips?

Sleepless in PA.

Hi sweetpea83,

Welcome to CrazyBoards, I wish I could help but I don't have OCD and can't offer any tips on dealing with it, but others here might be able to, so check back and see if you've gotten some other replies by then. I totally understand seeing something bad on tv and getting afraid it might somehow affect your life though. Do you have a pdoc and are you on any meds for the OCD? Is this a regular occurance for you? I mean are you frequently triggered by tv? I hope you feel better today, and again, welcome to CB! ;)

• 1 year later...

I understand. When I see something that scares me on tv or read about it in the news I think of it happening to me. It keeps me awake at night (it is worse at night when I don't have anything to occupy my brain). I tend to play awful scenarios in my head while trying to sleep. I took Abilify to help which it did but I was asleep all the time! I recently stopped the Abilify and am taking Effexor.

Archived