CrazyBoards.org

shizophrenic/psychotic states of mind

before i start let me say that i've been smoking weed on/off since the age of 15.

my problems started when i was the age of 18 and i decided to take an antidepressant for feeling down/depressed and also feeling nervous about leaving home and going off to college. my doctor prescribed me with zoloft. i took it for 3 days and went completely schizophrenic/psychotic and wound up in a psych ward for a month. the doctors told my parents i would be schizophrenic forever, but i proved them wrong and i slowly got better day by day. after about 4 weeks in the psych ward i was released. i eventually started going to a university and making ok grades...

while at the university i started smoking weed again and i wound up in a psychotic state AGAIN shortly after smoking the weed. at this point my psych told me i had schizoaffective disorder. so for about 4 months i've been on risperdal 2mg and feeling really weird with all the side effects. i started losing the psychoticness and slowly began to get better (similar to the first episode i mentioned). i slowly weaned off the risperdal. now ive been off risperdal for about 2 weeks and i dont have any psychoticness or schizophrenia. i do have problems sleeping though. i can get around 10 hrs of sleep, but when i wake up i dont feel like doing anything, i feel completely lazy to the point where i dont even feel like eating food when my stomach is begging for it.

i am very very worried that the marijuana i smoked in my teenage years (im 20 now) has affected my brain. i've been reading on schizophrenia.com that teenage smoking accounts for a large percent of schizophrenia cases. in particular, they say that those who experience "people calling their names" while high should avoid marijuana like the plague. i actually did experience that "name calling." yet i continued to smoke all the time.

please someone give me some advice. i was a very bright student when i was in elementary school and i feel like all of that has been destroyed due to my smoking.

Hey Blahman.

I feel really bad for you. Sounds like you should avoid the green stuff at all costs (even while on meds.). I'm sure you are well-aware of that though. The antipsychotic risperdal can cause some of the lack of motivation and tiredness you speak of BUT those symptoms are also present in schizophrenia and sometimes in people who smoke pot all the time- or a lot more than they should. Plz address your concerns with a doctor and try using google as a tool- docs are better though.

i haven't smoked in about 6 months+

i will ask my psych about the unmotivatedness... is it possible that im still schizo-something even though im not having any symptoms besides laziness? i was looking at risperdal withdrawal symptoms and loss of appetite is there... no "laziness" though.;)

I agree with her, ask your doctor. There probably are people here who can speak from experience or provide you with research or something, but asking a doctor is safest. Your brain may also be wondering where the Risperdal is, and that may be making you sluggish. Maybe you need a more activating drug than Risperdal, or just an antidepressant. I'm sorry for what you're going through, I know what it's like to make mistakes that can wreck stuff in the future. Seriously, ask a professional about this.

You need to seek the care of a psychiatrist.

If you are schizophrenic or schizoaffective it does not go away.  It is a permanent condition.

It requires ongoing treatment with medication, just like diabetes.  While some of the symptoms can go into remission for a time, treatment is continued to help prevent their recurrence.  Psychotic symptoms are not the only symptoms of schizophrenia- there are also symptoms such as disordered thought and flattened emotions.

What is your question?

Psychotic disorders such as schizoaffective are usually episodic, as you describe. "Negative" symptoms such as lack of motivation, as described, are common. I don't know about the influence of your weed-smoking, and it may not have been the best thing for you, but I seriously doubt that that was the sole cause of your illness. That's not really how illnesses like this work.

PS I deleted your other, identical topic. Posting once on one board is sufficient.

I agree 100% with mudpuppy. Remission periods can happen in those with psychotic disorders (though, it can also be continuous). It is never a good idea to go off your medications (trust me; I have poor medicine compliance and relapsed 3 out of 4 times I went off them within a few weeks).

While we do not know the exact cause of schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder, we have been able to notice degeneration of gray matter in areas of the cerebral cortex, and other lobes in the brain (frontal, parietal, occipital). We also notice other abnormalities of the brain. It is not "simply" a mental illness, but a full-on brain disorder that needs treatment.

Good, stay off the pot, it's no good. Smoked it for about the same duration as you, and it does push me closer to psychotic episodes. Also, if you get on an anti-depressant, serotonin syndrome might become a problem. Smoking weed on my meds reduces me instantly to a shivering, paranoid, shaky wreck, with a heart rate from hell and many other things.

Like everyone else says, stay on the meds, like an AIDS patient has to take their ARVs.

I gave myself permanent schizoaffective disorder from smoking weed from I was 15 til I was 25. 6 years later I am on the equivalent of 6mg of risperdal a day and still psychotic. It never went away after I stopped smoking weed. Stay the heck away from it

blackbird x

Guest randome

before i start let me say that i've been smoking weed on/off since the age of 15.

my problems started when i was the age of 18 and i decided to take an antidepressant for feeling down/depressed and also feeling nervous about leaving home and going off to college. my doctor prescribed me with zoloft. i took it for 3 days and went completely schizophrenic/psychotic and wound up in a psych ward for a month. the doctors told my parents i would be schizophrenic forever, but i proved them wrong and i slowly got better day by day. after about 4 weeks in the psych ward i was released. i eventually started going to a university and making ok grades...

while at the university i started smoking weed again and i wound up in a psychotic state AGAIN shortly after smoking the weed. at this point my psych told me i had schizoaffective disorder. so for about 4 months i've been on risperdal 2mg and feeling really weird with all the side effects. i started losing the psychoticness and slowly began to get better (similar to the first episode i mentioned). i slowly weaned off the risperdal. now ive been off risperdal for about 2 weeks and i dont have any psychoticness or schizophrenia. i do have problems sleeping though. i can get around 10 hrs of sleep, but when i wake up i dont feel like doing anything, i feel completely lazy to the point where i dont even feel like eating food when my stomach is begging for it.

i am very very worried that the marijuana i smoked in my teenage years (im 20 now) has affected my brain. i've been reading on schizophrenia.com that teenage smoking accounts for a large percent of schizophrenia cases. in particular, they say that those who experience "people calling their names" while high should avoid marijuana like the plague. i actually did experience that "name calling." yet i continued to smoke all the time.

please someone give me some advice. i was a very bright student when i was in elementary school and i feel like all of that has been destroyed due to my smoking.

First thing is obviously if the Marijuana is making you crazy then you need to give it up.

It's possible your sleep problems are a symptom of Risperdal withdrawal. Probably not a popular thing to suggest but you might want to try some Lithium Orotate supplement, easy to get if you live in the USA and if you only take a couple of tabs a day it's not going to kill you. I only make this suggestion if you are against going down the traditional psychiatric route. Even if you do end up needing an antipsychotic you might not need to take one all the time or at a very big dose.

I'm not a doctor nor do I know how severe your symtoms really are i'm just thorwing it out there.

First thing is obviously if the Marijuana is making you crazy then you need to give it up.

It's possible your sleep problems are a symptom of Risperdal withdrawal. Probably not a popular thing to suggest but you might want to try some Lithium Orotate supplement, easy to get if you live in the USA and if you only take a couple of tabs a day it's not going to kill you. I only make this suggestion if you are against going down the traditional psychiatric route. Even if you do end up needing an antipsychotic you might not need to take one all the time or at a very big dose.

I'm not a doctor nor do I know how severe your symtoms really are i'm just thorwing it out there.

Please provide links to credible sources for this claim.

Lithium orotate is an OTC supplement, unregulated, and without scientific backing that it performs as Lithium carbonate, the prescribed med. Neither are antipsychotics. Why you would suggest it here is not at all clear.

Archived