CrazyBoards.org

Hi.

I am ALWAYS hungry since I started lithium.

So I eat and eat and eat.

But have not gained weight, despite consuming almost 3000 calories a day and being a bum.

Is there a med to control hunger?

I'm seeing my pdoc on tuesday, and I need suggestions of what I can tell him.

Thanks

Is there a med to control hunger?

Not legally, and I don't think you're going to get your doc to prescribe anything for that purpose.

You're probably not eating as much as you think. How long has this been going on?

Yes, I think I drink a gallon and a half of water a day, because I read that with lithium, you have to increase water intake. I'm in the Philippines, and rice here is a staple diet, and I eat a lot of wheat bread too. So I think I'm getting enough fiber too..

rather than change how much you eat, perhaps just think about what you are eating?

i often eat when bored, sad, and did the same on other meds. Eating stuff like carrots and celery and crackers with low fat dip and fruit... satisfies the need to put stuff in mouth, but better than donuts (not that i'm assuming you eat them) etc.

Update: my pdoc prescribed me 10mg of Sibutramine (Reductil or Meridia) a day. This has a major drug-drug interaction with lithium (risk of Serotonin Syndrome), so we're being cautious.

I start it tomorrow morning, and if anybody can give me anecdotes about sibutramine, that would be great.

Thank you.

Update: I took my second dose of sibutramine this morning. My appetite is curbed. I find food repulsive already. Not sure if this is a good thing, though. I don't want to have anorexia (which is different from anorexia nervosa).

I'm getting cold sweats and I'm palpitating.

I can live with that.

Archived