CrazyBoards.org

Teeth depressing the heck out of me.

*sigh*

So I looked at the back of this tooth, next to the eye tooth and front one on the left side and it's back is crumbling slowly. I just HATE that meds and bad oral hygiene have left me with seven soon to be eight teeth gone. Every night I eat dinner it's hard to NOT think about it because I only have two teeth on either side to chew with, it takes me ages to chew and sometimes it's painful. :)

I had such a deep sadness the other night after looking at this tooth. I just HATE it. I know I am not the only one to have this problem, but that's little comfort when you know another extraction is coming soon. :) I know I should try to do better and takegood care of them, and I try but I can't floss, the crevices between my teeth )the top ones and some on the bottom, NOT the front ones thank God) have decay in between them. It's just freaking depressing. I am so sad about it, but able to not cry about it now, not like I did the other night, MAN I was crying HARD!

*sigh*

Thanks for listening guys. ;)

Thanks tryp, I am trying to just get through it, but man I tell ya what, getting older is no picnic! Thank you for replying so fast, I am getting ready for bed and I didnt expect any responses tonight. But With how sad this teeth stuff has made me I really needed to start another thread on it.

I hear ya on the tooth thing. I was given tetracycline when I was a baby so my teeth are darkened - my top teeth are almost all caps or bridges and my bottom teeth are still small and dark. I try to talk and just show my top teeth.

Vicodin and all the pain pills screwed my teeth up, didn't occur til I came here that the psych meds could cause dry mouth/tooth rot

I'm due for another bridge - dental is expensive.

And yet, besides how they feel (hurt, broken blah blah) it's what people judge us on...

When are you going to get it extracted? Or can you put a crown on it?

I wish I could afford a crown but I just can't. And THAT is the reason I feel so deeply saddened, like I KNOW it's going to be somehing that makes people frown upon me. ;) I am going to make the appt soon, but it will still be two months away. *sigh* I am just grateful an oral surgeon here in my area TAKES medicaid/medicare for me and is willing to extract the painful teeth I can no longer use. :)

Sorry to hear you are so down HD. Did you look in to catholic charities or other programs? some of them will do things like crowns for cheap or free, my sister had the same issue and had all of her teeth crowned and didnt pay a penny (the dentist did it pro bono)

Maybe you can find some help out there.

Do you have medical?

if it is hard for you to eat there are ways to get the health insurance to pay for it, if it is medically necessary, you just need your dentist to state and prove that it is needed.

Hope this is of some help/reassurance.

Medicaid covers emergency extractions only, so I am able to get that covered but NO restorative denistry is covered which is really STUPID because our teeth are so interconnected with our overall health. ;) I will see if I can find some help Sweetpeas, Good call on looking to the cahtolic charities, maybe one here can point me in the right direction for a crown...

I'm depressed about my teeth, but for a different reason. Almost a year ago, my bite changed (over the course of about a month) so that I can only bite down on the two back teeth on my left side. I can no longer bite down or chew food on the front or right side of my jaw. To make matters worse, I have a poorly filled cavity on one of the two teeth I can bite down on, so chewing can be painful sometimes.

Do you know how hard it is to bite down on thin foods like sandwiches and the like when there is a huge gap in your front teeth?

I see the dentist tomorrow, but I doubt there is anything he can do, and worst case scenario, my insurance doesn't cover braces - and my daughter will need them in two years a lot more than I do.

SO I'm depressed about that.

Thanks Persephone! I will see if I can find one, I think the nearest one is two hours away though....

I'm really sorry to hear that gizmo, as if you don't have enough going on right? Man that's got to be horrible. I hope the dentist can maybe give you veneers for the front ones. THat might help the front, but the bite? I don't know...Good luck with it, How was your appt?

Thanks Persephone! I will see if I can find one, I think the nearest one is two hours away though....

I'm really sorry to hear that gizmo, as if you don't have enough going on right? Man that's got to be horrible. I hope the dentist can maybe give you veneers for the front ones. THat might help the front, but the bite? I don't know...Good luck with it, How was your appt?

Bottom line, I have to go see the orthodontist and likely get braces. Which makes me feel like shit, because my 10 year old daughter need braces when she gets older. I feel selfish, like I'm putting my concerns in front of her.

PLus the fact that my dental insurance doesn't cover orthodontia, means it will cost me $200/month to get it fixed. Where am I going to get that money? But I'm tired of not being able to eat pasta and sandwiches and thin stuff because of my bite. So what am I to do?

Aw gizmo, that really stinks....;) I wish braces weren't so darn expensive. I know they were about that much when I had them at 13 back in the 80's. You'd think they would not go up so much, but it sounds like they have. We've gotten lucky with my son, his teeth won't need braces thank Goodness! I'm really sorry it's been a rough year for you...:) I hope you're able to find the $$$ somehow to get you and your daughter BOTH covered for orthodontic care...It's so worth it in the end. :)

It makes me so sad that the option is there for crowns and keeping your teeth, but not being able to afford it means losing your teeth! In this day in age that is just ridiculous.

I went nearly 10 years (age 19-29) without going to the dentist at all because I had no coverage and I was lucky when I finally got coverage this year through my husbands job, it covered 80% of everything. However, I had to get 2 root canals done and I have about 6 other tiny cavities that still need to be done. I keep thinking, you know, if I hadn't gotten the coverage when I did, I would have lost those teeth all because I couldn't afford it.

I really don't understand why dental is so difficult to get- I mean, we all know the connection between teeth and overall health!

I am in Canada so we get free healthcare (thank god-- I don't know how you Americans manage. It's terrifying to me to think something could happen and me not be able to pay for it, especially in my son's case) but dental is not covered here and I don't see why not given the connections.

You can get a broken bone fixed for free, but you break a tooth with no dental and you are just $h*t out of luck. Ridiculous.

I agree, but on our fixed income I can't afford dental coverage and the copays and reduced fees would be enough to make it so we couldn't eat or get gas for a month just for one tooth, so not gonna happen....*sigh* so unfair for people to have to have extractions when crowns are available...

I hate teeth. What the hell was god thinking? He could have at least given us 3 sets of them. Then teeth have special doctors, separated from the other doctors, who overcharge like crazy... I have a similar problem to yours in that I don't have many left and chewing is a real problem. I am lucky like you that the front ones are all there but I figure that before long I'll have to go to full dentures. I'm so depressed already that things like this don't even bother me any more.

wow... I fel kind of lucky living in the UK now... We don't have free dental care as we do medical, but we do get NHS dentists which are GREATLY reduced prices...

My teeth are in an awful state in part thanks to my eating disorder, and in part do to damage caused by an abuser... One of my front teeth is broken in half and has been for years as I'm too scared to get it fixed... it's being done next week though as I finally got up the courage, on;y costing me £60 too for that and and a check up

Thank you both for replying, I am feeling better but only because I still have the tooth, the paranoia I feel over losing it is still there but just not as heavily. I don't think I can save it though, I will see when the oral surgeon looks at it, if he says it's possible to fill it I will do my best to get into a regular dentist to fill it, if he thinks its got to come out, then out it comes that day. And it's not until April that I get to see him. *Sigh*

But anyway, I wish I could stop worrying about it....brooding.gif

Guest ldo not signed in

I used to have a lot of dry mouth problems, and I noticed my teeth started to have a lot of cavities. I started using a lot of sugarless gum and rinsing a lot, and I think it helped.

My dentist says using an electric toothbrush works better than just using a normal one.

Archived