CrazyBoards.org

Best benzo for social anxiety

For all of you who have tried a few for social anxiety, which has been most effective?

I ask because I'm taking an ssri and valium right now, and since beginning the ssri the valium has become overly sedating. It's nice for sleep but worthless for social anxiety, when you're glued to the bed it's rather hard to be social. On the ssri alone though I get far to anxious to be social.

You're better off with therapy, to be honest. SSRIs help, as do benzos, but they don't seem to address the core issue.

I've been looking for a good therapy option for some time. The only DBT groups in the area are perpetually full, and the handful of CBT one on one tdocs I've met with I haven't felt comfortable with. In any case, therapy is in the works, hopefully soon.

In the meantime, I need a stop-gap. So any thoughts on the topic question would be appreciated.

Yeah, therapy is helpful, like di said, I totally agree with that. This one IS hard to get over though.

I take klonopin a few times a day every day and since I've been on that, even OTHER people notice how much better I seem socially. Take me off it though? I don't know what would happen. I tried Ativan for a time, and it just didn't agree with me.

If your problem is that you are TOO sedated, then maybe you need a SMALLER dose of valium instead of a different benzo? Just a thought.

Klonopin, well, same same as above ^ Other people noticed how much more sociable I became, but I do not like being addicted :-/ I was put on it during what my pdoc called a 'crisis' situation, and now I'm too scared to get off it. I'm in therapy, so hopefully I can deal with the causes of my anxiety, before going off the benzo. Temporary fix.

Therapy helped me some but Klonopin was the miracle in lifting the social anxiety. It was like night and day. The bad thing is the addiction part. 2mg used to do the job and now i need usually 4 a day, sometimes 6...I'd still rather not be on anything at all so am working on my issues as much as I can...That said, without the Klonopin it'd be next to impossible to try to work on things in therapy.

Yeah, I dislike very much the fact that I am dependant on this drug. It wouldn't be such an issue if there was no such thing as tolerance, there's only so many mg per day you're allowed to take for panic attacks, I'm on 3mg per day right now, well, that's what I'm RX'd, however, I try and take as little as possible to keep the anxiety at a tolerable level, so I usually only take 1.5-2mg per day.

That being said, I'm dreading the day I have to go off them, I AM incredibly dependant on them at the moment and as much as I hate that fact, they are helping me deal with life better. I wish one of the other drugs I've tried would have helped as much as the klonopin, but only a few of them HARDLY touched my anxiety at all. Blah.

Yup, so, I'm working on it in therapty.

T-doc thinks the best way to deal with social anxiety is exposure, and I have been doing that when I can (that might be a lie, I'm not sure, I try anyway, I really really do) it's kind of scary, but I think I might be getting a teeny bit better. I've only been working on it since fucking JUNE. Arg.

I wish I'd been born normal.

T-doc thinks the best way to deal with social anxiety is exposure, and I have been doing that when I can (that might be a lie, I'm not sure, I try anyway, I really really do) it's kind of scary, but I think I might be getting a teeny bit better. I've only been working on it since fucking JUNE. Arg.

I've been trying to do exposure therapy on my own, volunteering a couple times a month and going to a community center yoga class. Honestly though, I still just feel disconnected and anxious as hell around people. I know that it's healthier than only leaving the house for groceries and solitary hikes, I just don't seem to be getting any more adept at social situations by forcing myself into them. Keepin' at it though.

So it seems the consensus is klonopin for social anxiety. I did take that for a few weeks many years ago and don't remember any effect, but back then I was on such a serious cocktail I wouldn't have noticed a 2x4 to the head.

I did a little reading on it, and it seems that it doesn't help much for sleep and that as a benzo, is cross-tolerant with the valium. Has anyone ever taken klonopin for daytime anxiety and valium at night for sleep, or am I right in thinking that taking the valium at all will raise the tolerance for klonopin beyond usefulness? FWIW, at this point if I had to choose I'd take the insomnia over this social anxiety.

I've been trying to do exposure therapy on my own, volunteering a couple times a month and going to a community center yoga class. Honestly though, I still just feel disconnected and anxious as hell around people. I know that it's healthier than only leaving the house for groceries and solitary hikes, I just don't seem to be getting any more adept at social situations by forcing myself into them. Keepin' at it though.

So it seems the consensus is klonopin for social anxiety. I did take that for a few weeks many years ago and don't remember any effect, but back then I was on such a serious cocktail I wouldn't have noticed a 2x4 to the head.

I did a little reading on it, and it seems that it doesn't help much for sleep and that as a benzo, is cross-tolerant with the valium. Has anyone ever taken klonopin for daytime anxiety and valium at night for sleep, or am I right in thinking that taking the valium at all will raise the tolerance for klonopin beyond usefulness? FWIW, at this point if I had to choose I'd take the insomnia over this social anxiety.

Yeah, I feel the same way about the exposure. I DO the shit and am around the people, but I still get that disconnected, fuzzy feeling and panic a bit, okaay, but at least I'm there? What's the fucking point? I keep going too.

klonopin has been very good for my social anxiety, though I've never taken valium. I've thought about it a couple of times, to bring it up to p-doc, but never have. Anyhow, the klonopin seems to help me sleep. The problem with me is that I have racing thoughts before falling asleep and sometimes panic, but not always. Anyway, I take the klonopin a little bit before bed time and it slows down my thoughts enough so that I can sleep quickly. So I think it helps sleep, but really it seems to only help it a lot in the beginning or while initiating a doseage increase.

There's a lot of folks on these boards that are on bezos for sleep, I'm not one of them. It just helps my sleeping, I wouldn't say I've suffered from full blown insomnia, just sleeping troubles. Some people take a long acting benzo like clonazepam or diazepam during the day and then a dose of a shorter acting benzo like xanax before bed to help with sleep. Hopefully you figure out something that works for you. Maybe the klonopin will, you could give it a try by itself or just talk to your p-doc about the concerns you have.

I tried Klonipin,but it made me tired and moody all the time. Then Ativan and that pretty much only worked for about three weeks. Now,I am on Xanax and it works pretty good for me. I can only speak for myself, but I have been in therapy forever now;nothing I take away from therapy helps me with my panic attacks. I have tried so many techniques and nothing has worked so far. If it wasn't for the xanax,I wouldn't even be able to leave my house to go to therapy.

I take Clonazepam morn and night, but only .5 mg each. I find that it does help with sleep, but I often get very anxious and tense before sleep too, so I take Ativan at those times to make sure I sleep. My problem is waking up and not being able to get back to sleep for hours while worrying and fretting and feeling guilty etc.

I don't know how well the Clonazepam works for my social anxiety. ( If it's really bad I take Ativan for the short fix.) I probably need to up to doseage for a better result but am really afraid of the tolerance issue. So for the most part I hide. Funny thing is, once I AM out and about, I tend to be a little hyper and appear socially comfortable but I come home from that exhausted and loathing myself.

My therapy is important I guess. She keeps re-affirming that I have value and should hang onto my performing abilities. I do love performing, which seems odd combined with social anxiety, but I feel like someone else when I perform.

BTW, aren't Clonazepam and Klonopin the same drug, Klonopin being the brand name?

A couple mg of lorazepam and i'm as chatty as can be, and everyone is my best friend. Alcohol in a pill.

But I agree with the others, you really don't want to be on a benzo on a daily basis if you can avoid it. Maybe if you're going to a party, or something. But definitely *not* popping them every day.

Eh, I dunno, I'm popping klonopin three times a day every day and the only problem I've had so far is memory loss. As far as my quality of life goes? WAAAAAY better than it was before. I CAN socialize with people, I can say whatever the hell I want. I can play with my daughter at the park, I can spend time with her that ISN'T me staring off into space freking out. I can calmly speak with my SO, I MIGHT be able to go to school. I've tried a lot of things out there and NOTHING has made me feel better than the klonopin.

That being said, while I love what it has done for me, I hate the fact that nothing else can help me and I must be dependant on an addictive substance to get me through the day. I am perfectly clearheaded(minus the foggy memory) and function much better than before. I've tried a lot of other things, I'm probably going to try more, I'm probably going to try some again, but hey, if klonopin works for me, and I don't develop a tolerance that makes it so it DOESN'T work for me, I'm gonna keep taking it. I WILL NOT and never have abused it and trust myself with them, so if there's other people out there, like me, that nothing does the trick for but a benzo, so what? Let's not try and entirely discourage the daily use of them to maintain functioning at a normal level.

That's all.

Archived