CrazyBoards.org

bipolar spectrum.... discuss?

In general, we really discourage people from self diagnosing. What you're describing doesn't necessarily sound that much like bipolar to me, but I'm not a doctor, and neither are you.

If you want to explore the possibility of additional diagnoses, you really need to get yourself a pdoc, and go from there.

You don't have to have manic episodes to be on the Bipolar Spectrum - there are forms which only experience hypomania, and forms which have more depressive episodes than manic/hypomanic ones.

Don't let it discourage you from seeing a professional. They'll give you the tools to find out the truth. (And don't let your friends convince you that nothing's wrong - I have a friend who works in psychology, and she insists I'm perfectly fine...because she doesn't see the whole of it. She's my friend, not my doctor.)

I agree with SashaSue. The reason we laypeople on CB don't dabble in diagnosis is because if we said "I believe you have bipolar," then you shut yourself out to look for the other conditions that might fit you better. There are lots of psychiatric conditions that are very similar to BP, but are not. Only a professional is the best person to tell you what you have - and even then, it can take several sessions for them to determine what they think you have.

So to put that pressure on a bunch of crazies here on the board is a bit much.

i guess everyone missed that i should be seeing someone next week. im NOT trying to self diagnose...... cause i don't really see the point of that..... i can't therap-ize myself. i'm just wondering if there is more than black and white BP. just WONDERIN. like if i get a rash i might WONDER if i had chicken pox. obviously only a doc could say for sure but i might suspect.

that's all.

i don't need crazy people to diagnose me.

i'm notorious for ambiguous questions that get misinterpreted.

To answer your question... yes, there are different forms and flavors of BP and they're not always black and white. Often a doc will make a "tentative" diagnosis, then either re-evaluate it or confirm it after working with you over time. Since you've had depression throughout your life, I suggest you maintain regular follow up with a pdoc... don't expect him/her to already know the answers for you after the first visit. There's a good website for tracking your moods and some docs will find it very helpful if you print it out and bring with you each time: www.moodtracker.com

Archived