CrazyBoards.org

Want to help family member with panic attacks

I'm sorry to say, but most of the "helpful" people in my life who have offered suggestions to me to breathe, to talk it out, that tell me it's not all that bad, etc., do nothing more that to add to my misery that I am completely misunderstood by my family and friends. If you really want to help, offer to help find a doctor that specialized in panic disorder (that your friend's insurance covers.) Ask them what they are feeling and actually listen without making a single remark that you might deem helpful. Point your friend to this site.

Most importantly, never think that you can cure your friend. Your friend has a psychiatric condition that positive attitude and pep talks won't cure. It's important for your friend to know you care and that you will stand with them through thick or thin - but leave the rest to the professionals.

Thank you. They have started (within last few weeks) to get psychiatric treatment, so it has started and will continue. I know the search for the right medication combination can take a while. I am actually listening.

Actually, it is that person who suggested that I put this message here and see what kind of helpful suggestions I might get from people who have "gone through" the process with a family member. That person finds this board helpful.

Archived