CrazyBoards.org

The Newer MAOI's. Do they only come in patch form?

MAOI's.

I hear they have a new variety that don't cause as many food no-no's as the original.

Are these newer one only available through patches?

Patches scare me becuz I once did the BirthControl patch and it kept falling off- every single day no matter what. So silly me kept putting on a brand-new one each time. One morning I awoke with the full understanding of my actions becuz of the amount of blood lost. iCK.

Anyways I am under the impression that patches do not take to my skin very well and are utterly worthless.

I will be seeing pdoc tomorrow to discuss our action plan and my stymptoms together. Not even sure if MAOI's will be an option btu if they are, I'd like to know if the newer version comes in a pill from or if there is a pill form or an injectable version that also has less side-affect with certain foods. Right now its like I'm "window shopping" for meds byt of course I am not a doctor or scientist so I am just doin a lil research here and there.

There is one MAOI in the US available in patch form. It's called Emsam. It delivers the medication selegiline when applied transdermally. It comes in three strengths 6mg/24hrs, 9mg/24hrs & 12mg/24hrs.

The 6mg/24hrs strength does not require following the MAOI diet during it's use.

The 9mg/24hrs & 12mg/24hrs do require following the MAOI diet while on the medication. All other restrictions of being on an MAOI (drug interactions) still apply at all doses.

I don't think that any reversible MAOI's currently available in the United States. Moclobemide is not approved for use in the US.

Mayteana

Actually, it looks like manerix does have some food restrictions, though the warnings I'm seeing are less intense than those for some other MAOI's.

Linda, I'm kind of baffled as to why you're even looking into this. From what you've said about your symptoms, it doesn't sound like you're depressed. You recently went off all your meds, if I understand correctly, because that just seemed like a good idea to you, or something. Now you're checking out antidepressants no pdoc is going to prescribe for anyone who isn't severely depressed, and hasn't failed a whole bunch of antidepressants already. It's just quite confusing.

ETA: Moving this thread to the AD forum, where it makes more sense.

Actually, it looks like manerix does have some food restrictions, though the warnings I'm seeing are less intense than those for some other MAOI's.

Linda, I'm kind of baffled as to why you're even looking into this. From what you've said about your symptoms, it doesn't sound like you're depressed. You recently went off all your meds, if I understand correctly, because that just seemed like a good idea to you, or something. Now you're checking out antidepressants no pdoc is going to prescribe for anyone who isn't severely depressed, and hasn't failed a whole bunch of antidepressants already. It's just quite confusing.

ETA: Moving this thread to the AD forum, where it makes more sense.

Thats alright.

Sasha, I am aware of the fact that maoi's r not prescribed unless u r severely depressed and most othe AD's have failed. Look at my profile. Read the list of meds I've been on. Sadly, I only decided to include such info in my profile the day be4 yesterday so I realize people havn't caught up yet.

The other thing is that I *might* be depressed but becuz I have the subjective experience of having no emotions and not exisitng, its very hard for me to know if there might be an underground current of emtion that I always am supressing. My doctor and I will discuss this at length.

One more thing. I never stopped taking trazodone 50mg every night. i still take that.

FWIW, Linda, it sounds like what you're doing is dissociation, not depression.

Looking at your profile list, it seems you've tried and failed three ad's. Wellbutrin, prozac, and effexor. That's not the kind of list that gets you to an MAOI. That's the kind of list that gets you to augmentation, and other AD's.

Although I disagree with Tom that TCAs are less scary than MAOIs (heart problems and fatal overdoses), they are some serious drugs and should not be taken lightly. As May said, even EMSAM requires you be able to stick to the diet except at the lowest doses.

Linda, just by looking looking at your list I can easily come up with better ideas for you: Remeron, Lamictal, lithium, Cytomel, etc.

MAOIs require serious lifestyle changes. Last night my aunt and uncle brought over Chinese food. I didn't have any because it would have been too difficult to ensure there was no soy sauce in my dish. And since my relatives are nosey, they wanted to know why. I realize food and eating are major problems for you, so this is something to consider. If you screw up, at best you will be in excruiating pain and at worst, you could have a stroke.

Archived