CrazyBoards.org

Does your diet affect depression?

Okay, this is "Parade" magazine (which comes free with the Sunday papers), but the study they are quoting was done by the British Journal of Psychiatry. Here's the link:

http://www.parade.com/health/2010/01/31-can-diet-affect-depression.html

I guess it's yet another reason to eat your fruits and vegetables. Not that we need any more....

olga

That was astoundingly reasonable and non-nonsensical for something science-related in Parade. Their science articles are usually embarrassingly bad (like, "you're just as likely to get an intelligent scientific discussion in the comments on YouTube or Yahoo Answers" bad, not just the normal kind of mainstream science reporting bad, heh), even when written by someone who should know better and based on a real study, but that was pretty to-the-point and without extraneous crap. Woo.

I think it totally does for me! My diet changed drastically in the last year because of my move. I was a complete junk food junkie--pizza, subs, chips, candy, anything processed and tasty. And I thought I was getting away with it because I ran a lot and stayed mostly slim. But now that my diet has shifted and I eat tons on freah fruit and veggies, 4 or 5 seafood meals a week and steamed rice, my depression is better, my thoughts are clearer and my anxiety is easier to manage.

Plus, one of the biggest pluses for me personally, the hair that l lost while taking Lamictal is all coming back in.

I still have occasional junk food binges, my favorites being fried fish and chip platters and a good late night pizza after some beers, but all in moderation.

I'm so sorry that I gave a good diet an arrogant poo-poo attitude in the past, I could have had the benefits of it so much earlier.

Archived