CrazyBoards.org

Fish oil supplements 'beat psychotic mental illness'

Just taking a group of people and waiting to see who develops psychosis isn't of any scientific merit, specifically since psychosis can develop at different ages for different people in different circumstances. And not all people with a predisposition for it necessarily have the same risk as someone else who also has a predisposition for it.

Hmm, I'm not too sure about the BBC's reporting of it, but as far as I know there is a reasonable body of evidence to suggest that omega 3 fish oils do help symptom management in people with mental health problems. I've only really read about it in any sort of depth in relation to depression.

I've been taking a high-strength omega 3 supplement for about 4-5 months now and I do think that it has made a difference to me...but I'm aware that just my personal experience does not constitute good evidence. Also, I wouldn't rule out the possiblity that it might be other factors within that time period that have helped me to feel better. Still, personally I wouldn't knock it - if several studies suggest that it might or seems to help, with very little associated risk or side-effects (none, so far as I can tell...and it might even be good for your cardiovascular health too) then I'm willing to give it a go.

This is also if you're at risk of having an episode it says nothing about people in the middle of an episode or who have already had an episode.

That people should ditch their meds in favor of fish oil is absolutely the wrong conclusion to draw from this. That said, I take fish oil and recommend the the same for anyone else with brain cooties.

We had a similar article in the local newspaper (west Australian). It also did not hold much scientific evidence, mind you it was very small and brief.

I take fish oil everyday just because i heard its good for your overall health, if it is helping with my MI then its a bonus.

Archived