CrazyBoards.org

Do you escalate?

I'm still in the very early stages of getting help (I've seen my GP, a psychiatric doctor once, and have now been referred for CBT), and I get the feeling that everything's happening at a pretty laid-back pace, largely because I get the impression that the doctor doesn't think I'm seriously depressed. Which, yeah, I'm not seriously depressed. I'm not in a very unserious situation either, but ya know. Cutting, but not needing stitches or to go to hospital. Wanting to die, but not really planning to do anything about it.

It's just that I've noticed that the cutting is escalating. I mean, it is still pretty benign, but it's an extra worry. Every time the cut is a little bit bigger and/or deeper. I'm not feeling worse than I did a few months ago - it's about the same, except I think I'm more used to it. But the cutting is worse.

Is this normal? Something to worry about? Just thought I'd ask where people might know..

I think that is to be expected.

I used to cut just one tiny cut in grade school.... by high school, I was carving names into my skin.

By college, I punch the wall until my knuckles turn people and bleed. I was not satisfied with just one cut. I had to make dozens to achieve the same effect.

I read somewhere that cutting releases endorphins (because as cutters, we conditioned ourselves that way), which is why, over time, you need more cuts to get the same effect.

I guess you ARE escalating.

Better try to get help now, before you mar your skin with so many scars, like me.

It does sound like you're escalating. And for some people it can happen very fast. It's good that you're going to get therapy. You don't want it to become an addiction nor do you want to get to the point where cutting seems like your only coping tool. You are doing the right thing by seeking help. I wish you all the best.

When I was self-injuring a lot, I found that, over time, I needed to cut more or deeper to satisfy the urge, so I can understand where you're coming from. Really, therapy is very helpful when it comes to this. My current therapist has been amazingly helpful, coaching me through getting rid of my blades and trying to stop.

Archived