CrazyBoards.org

'Internet addiction' linked to depression, says study

Guest Vapourware

I'm not surprised by what they reported - that is, people who are depressed are probably more likely to spend their time online - but it also seems like they are making a stat which isn't that significant into something bigger than it is. I mean, 18 people out of 1319? That's just a really small proportion of the respondents.

Now that's hardly surprising.

And I don't see it as a causative link, of anything like a necessity*.

For many of us it's the best and nearest we can get to activity and therapy.

I find going for a long walk far more depressing: too much time to think.

edit:

The article is clear it doesn't conclude which way the link may go, but look how the Australian headline spins it:

"Internet use leads to depression, report finds "

http://www.watoday.c...00202-nayx.html

It's that sort of sloppy observing and thinking that depresses me about the human race.

Amongst other things.

I know right? HOW can people live in front of their televisions and yet those of us who do the sam ein front of computers are treated like addicts?? I didn't care for this article but felt it worth sharing here, glad I wasn't the only one who felt slighted by it. ;) (well not really, I kinda just laughed...) laugh.gif

for me it's a vicious cycle. i feel like shit so i go to the net to read useless crap to avoid feeling and thinking. i spend too much time on the net avoiding things that need to be taken care so i feel like shit... and so on.

That's exactly how i feel about it too. I spend time online because it doesn't require me to think all that much. It distracts me from the other things that are bothering me. And the part that sucks is that my actual job requires me to be online, so its very easy for me to be distracted from work when I am stressed. And then I waste all day and then feel more stressed.

Meaningless media sensationalism. Certainly doesn't apply to me, I was already depressed when pushbutton phones were the rage. If a study was done about people who use sites like this, I'm pretty sure the results would be overwhelmingly reversed - we're already depressed and probably isolated so online socialization is very good for us.

I wonder if this article was from a Rupert Murdoch publication. I'm paranoid about this stuff so here's what I think is real - stories like this can be used to people like murdoch to grab the net for themselves. Newspapers and magazines are failing everywhere. The net is a threat to the kings of wealth who own the US. Too much information, not enough control. The people also own the airwaves and look what happened. They want it and they will get it.

From article... "... found 1.2% of people surveyed "

Shock, Horror! Eating Chocolate Linked to Depression!

LMAO! Gotta love that!

I'm with VE. I don't think you can be addicted to social interaction and learning, which besides brainless activities (which you can also do with friends IRL - and, hello, TV) is really what the internet boils down to. Addiction also implies something negative.. it's not interchangeable with "something you like to do alot of."

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anthony

When my depression is REALLY high (like now) I find myself spending hour upon hours on the internet. Most times from sun up to sun down (only leaving my apartment for food - take out of course). It's so crappy.

I read this and almost linked it to here and then thought to myself...

I grew up reading in libraries because it caught me up in life (I missed out on a lot of normal stuff)

the internet is a one stop shopping for me - I stay connected with people, I read all kinds of fascinating stuff from news to psych to family to cooking and many many "how to" vids and it's entertaining - comedy on youtube is great!

I use it to do online banking, do school work, check the latest products and much much more...

So I spend less time in libraries and all and I still learn

I'm a learning junkie

and because I forget things

I re-read them

lol

hence more time spent on the good old www

What was the question??

Archived