CrazyBoards.org

I am currently in limbo with meds but am off all antidepressants and I gotta tell you, I don't wanna get out of bed, take care of my kids, shower, clean, cook, work, nothing. It hurts to move. I took every once of energy I had to go to the grocery store today because we literally had nothing to eat in the house-- I wait until the last minute because I hate to go so bad. My motivation is none. I hate my job. I'm paying off debts and am broke all the time. Life seems so inescapable. Even my psychiatrist is expensive. $25 everytime I go and $35 for namebrand prescriptions. Do you know how many visits and drugs I've tried? What a waste of money. Then my psychiatrist tells me today that I call too much, I'm unstable, I have no choice but to come in on Thursday. Of course, they get the copay. Makes me feel like they are doing underhanded things with that money.

Anyway does anyone have tips on how to deal with depression when it hurts to breathe? I was on Prozac, now going to start Paxil I think (the default drug) if I can't think of anything else that may work. I thought of Remeron. I'm also on Zyprexa and Depakote.

All I can tell you is what I was told when I was in severe mind numbing depressions - keep moving. I forced myself into showers first thing outta bed and made my bed on the way to the shower so I couldn't crawl back into bed when I was done.

"Depression can't hit a moving target" they said - and I had just enough energy to believe them and want to feel better that I did everything I was told. Lamictal saved my life I think. Meds do so much, but then I had to do the rest.

Hope you feel better soon...when I was reading your post I could visualize this commercial they use for some AAP or AD to treat depression... ugh it sucks

Aww I'm sorry you're so depressed right now leadinglady. That's just terrible about the copay being that much for your drugs and your pdoc appt's. Man I am really sory it's so hard to make ends meet in this day and age. But you're not alone in that respect. I posted in your thread in the ED forum, I shared some stuff about what we do for food, and where I get it the cheapest. I hope you start to feel better, I haven't been quite as bad off depressionwise as you're feeling right now, but I have WANTED to stay in bed, NOT take care of other people in the house (have a 13 year-old son) and felt like going two weeks without a shower. BUT I force myself to do all those things I hated. I am on wellbutrin for depression and trazadone for sleep help. However I don't feel stable yet, I think I need a dose reduction on my abilify, and I just went up on wellbutrin, got very agitated, and reduced it-called pdoc and now have an appt with pdoc tomorrow....a week after my last appt where we went up on wellbutrin. So I really feel for you having the trouble you're having...;)

FWIW I still feel this way. The copays went up to $50 and I got started on Zyprexa and Lexapro. It came to $101 for two prescriptions. I called my pdoc and told her I can't do that. I can't pay for those. So we are talking risperdal/paxil because they come generic. If that's the best I'm gonna feel, then that's the best I'm gonna feel but I have to work and provide for my daughters, too. I wish disability paid more because I'd just go on disability, but with 2 kids, I can't afford to.

Thanks for the tip on showering when I wake up. I think I'll try that. I wish someone could inject me with No-Doz in the morning. LOL

Although I haven't been where it hurts to breath, except perhaps for a very short while after my mother died, I guess I have one or two ideas. One is light. If you can take five minutes and go outside in daylight near the beginning of the day, that might help some. Or, if you have a big window facing the sun, sitting next to it might help, though not as much. Vigorous physical activity, too, like exercise or taking a walk. But of course I realize those will only be incremental improvements even if they work, and the depression may make them pretty hard to do. I think they're likely to help at least a little, though.

I wish I could advise something that didn't take much energy, but I don't know what it is.

-----------------

if you do accumulate a bit of energy:

I don't know what kind of cooking you are doing, but depending on where you are starting from, there may be ways to make it cheaper. My bread costs me less than $1 per pound because I got a bread machine at a yard sale for $10. Or maybe it was from Craigslist. Only takes me 5 minutes to load it and two minutes to wash it. Other things that take a bit more work but also save money are making your own baked beans and brown rice and stuff like that. I use a $3 yard sale crock pot for the beans. I make large batches of rice and do things like throw it in the pan after the turkey burger is done. Also, I sometimes make my own granola for maybe $1.50 to $2.00 per lb sometimes, which is a lot less than cereal, and healthier too. If you get to the point where you have energy for that, you can PM me for a recipe, though I'm not always checking this list. I realize that these take energy. I don't always have enough energy, or, in my case, organization, to do these things. Sorry to mention this if you're already making most of your food from scratch.

-----------

Anyway, you are brave to continue to function even though you feel like this. Please give yourself a pat on the back!

Archived