CrazyBoards.org

Are brain scans typically done on those diagnosed as schizophrenic? I am curious because I was diagnosed three years ago and I have never had one. In addition, I think my psychotic episodes are triggered from traumatic memories and not disease. I will continue taking the meds as ordered because they are working but I am curious whether I have a proper diagnosis.

Unless there's reason to suspect tumors or other problems brain scans are not used as a diagnostic tool for mental illness. Insurance would never cover. Using it to rule out other conditions when there is reason to suspect them is not the same as using them do make a positive diagnosis.

Sometimes an fmri is done to see which parts of the brain are being used. Whether there are overactive parts. Which is common in certain disorders like schizophrenia. Also sometimes seeing the brain structure can tell the psychiatrist some things. Also CAT scans are one to rule out tumors or other things that may be causing the psychosis. Especially if they don't see thought disorder they will check for these things. Schizophrenia is rarely diagnosed without thought disorder.

Are brain scans typically done on those diagnosed as schizophrenic? I am curious because I was diagnosed three years ago and I have never had one. In addition, I think my psychotic episodes are triggered from traumatic memories and not disease. I will continue taking the meds as ordered because they are working but I am curious whether I have a proper diagnosis.

I've never had a brain scan. My doc based it on my symptoms. My dx is schizoaffective disorder. I had a psychotic break when I was 39 that led to my diagnosis.

I'm glad the meds are working for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived