CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
mudpuppy

Can you help me think of some good suicide prevention slogans?

I'm currently designing sucide prevention posters/banners to distribute throughout our units.

I need some effective, short slogans to stick on said flyers.

Anyone have any ideas?

[also, yes, I'm shameless.]

I'm currently designing sucide prevention posters/banners to distribute throughout our units.

I need some effective, short slogans to stick on said flyers.

Anyone have any ideas?

[also, yes, I'm shameless.]

something in the past that stopped me in my tracks was along the lines of "how do you know you'll have relief from problems if you commit suicide" or "don't suicide, it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem" and one of my favs "stop, you're killing the wrong person" - but that can totally be taken the wrong way and make it sound like you want them to commit homicide ...

these sound dorky but...wanted to chime in

Your post reminded me of these lines from a poem I read last night by Mary Oliver.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

With your one wild and precious life?

The two that help keep me going.

"I can always kill myself.... tomorrow." (let's try someing else, today.)

"What else haven't I tried? I'd better try that first. You can't, afterwards."

A more complex strand woud be to lok at people regarded as successful, who had had to fight mental illness..

"I don't like standing near the edge of a platform when an express train is passing through. I like to stand right back and if possible get a pillar between me and the train. I don't like to stand by the side of a ship and look down into the water. A second's action would end everything. A few drops of desperation." - Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Or a scattering of such names, and "Depression and mental illness need not mean failure."

Those you love would rather be with you hurting than not be with you at all. Really. Just ask the family of anyone who suicided.

I would emphasize that you don't have to suffer on your own, like, "If you need help, ask for help." Except I am no good at crafting slogans.

I know that not everyone reacts like me, so there is probably merit to your plan.

For me, if I'm having 'suicidal ideations' (NO serious attempts. I wouldn't be here if I had.) I can't think of any appeal - emotional or rational - that would make me see things differently. I wouldn't call a crisis hotline. I wouldn't click on "If you're suicidal and we suck..."

Honestly, "slogans" for almost anything tend to irritate me. I feel like I'm being manipulated. (That's what slogans DO!)

I can say that one thing I've always held in mind is that I shouldn't die before my parents. Clearly that thought might not hold for others.

And my dad is now dead and mom is 96.

I guess my way of looking at it would be appeals to others who might be close to depressed people to "watch for signs" and "be available" etc.

I don't know. I'm not being much help, I guess.

I like the stop, youre killing the wrong person thingy. I see how it could be misconstrued tho. I also really, really like what Stacia said. I'm dealing right now with a suicidal (sometimes) teenage daughter and I totally understand that statement.

One thing I would like to say though, having been extremely suicidal at times and also having numerous attempts:

The it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem always bugged the hell out of me. I got told that a lot. And I know it's true and I know they really were trying to help, but I felt like it didn't acknowledge my pain.

Having been there, I think the acknowledgement of the pain was most helpful while suicidal.

I also was not helpful in providing slogans. Sorry.

Edited by Caillech

The person who completes suicide dies once.

Those left behind die a thousand deaths,

trying to relive those terrible moments

and understand....Why?

and understand....Why?

Very nice

and understand....Why?

Agreed. A very powerful statement to the testament that suicide is very, very, very damaging to yourself as well as those who know and love you.

another one i'm stealing to share with my daughter. She thinks I'm crazy. Oh, wait.....

You can tell this was written by a survivor, which is a fucked up way of saying someone who has survived someone else's suicide. I think the language is totally fucked. But it's all I have.

and understand....Why?

I don't know. I understand the intent, the reasoning, the feeling.

But I also hear the other voice: "So I'm supposed to keep going and suffer for other people's comfort? Here, have another ladle-full of guilt for even thinking of being so selfish."

I also suggest posters and sayings too positive and optimistic can look simply unrealistic and false to those wrestling with really serious depression.

Almost in the "Pull yourself together" class.

Perhaps try for finding a chink of light. A fingertip ledge...

"Play with a kitten.

If you commit suicide, you'll never do that again."

Only my perspective, offered with respect.

and understand....Why?

But I also hear the other voice: "So I'm supposed to keep going and suffer for other people's comfort? Here, have another ladle-full of guilt for even thinking of being so selfish."

I also suggest posters and sayings too positive and optimistic can look simply unrealistic and false to those wrestling with really serious depression.

"Play with a kitten.

the guilt thing made me laugh! i agree.

and understand....Why?

"Play with a kitten.

I first read the guilt as the other way - just about the guilt of failing someone. That is a brutal guilt. BUT, I can see the other twist now that you mention it. Staying in pain to spare someone else pain always seemed like such a selfish demand to me. It pissed me off, actually. Not such a good slogan, after all. Totally agree.

I think the point is missed here.

And while I see your point and understand and have been there (lived it, breathed it, was it), I am more than grateful that I never actually succeeded in committing suicide. The legacy of pain i would have left my children would have brought them just as much, if not more pain than I experienced on a daily basis. So yes, it was derived by a selfish desire of my children to want mom to stick around. I finally just came to understand that it was my responsibility to work though the pain. It doesn't mean I don't ever experience pain anymore now. I just look at it differently.

And this goes for people who don't have children as well.

Edited by Caillech

Razors pain you, Rivers are damp

Acids stain you, And drugs cause cramp

Guns aren't lawful, And nooses give

Gas smalls awful, You might as well live.

--Dorothy Parker--

...I am more than grateful that I never actually succeeded in committing suicide. The legacy of pain i would have left my children would have brought them just as much, if not more pain than I experienced on a daily basis...."

Agreed. I'm just not sure whether the true sentiment about the distress of those left behind would get through to someone really in the dark though,

or might be taken as an extra demand or load. Blackmail, at worst.

As you said:

<"it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem" always bugged the hell out of me.>

Yes it would me as well, with good reason, even if viewed from the *outside* it too is a pretty valid assessment.

(Though I've been fighting my depression, lull and onslaught, for 25+ years. That's a long temporary.)

Regards, Chris.