CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
mudpuppy

Can you help me think of some good suicide prevention slogans?

I don't know. I understand the intent, the reasoning, the feeling.

But I also hear the other voice: "So I'm supposed to keep going and suffer for other people's comfort? Here, have another ladle-full of guilt for even thinking of being so selfish."

I think the point is missed here.

And while I see your point and understand and have been there (lived it, breathed it, was it), I am more than grateful that I never actually succeeded in committing suicide. The legacy of pain i would have left my children would have brought them just as much, if not more pain than I experienced on a daily basis. So yes, it was derived by a selfish desire of my children to want mom to stick around. I finally just came to understand that it was my responsibility to work though the pain. It doesn't mean I don't ever experience pain anymore now. I just look at it differently.

And this goes for people who don't have children as well.

Hi. Yes, sorry. I jumped to my tangental interpretation and read your meaning wrong. It's my first cup of coffee. Meager excuse, I know.

I don't want to derail the thread further, but I'll first make the observation that anything poetic might be prone to too many interpretations to make for a good slogan. Idk. Just seems that way at the moment.

Taking into account what Stacia said about further derailing the thread,I will shut up after this. Since I really have no slogans myself. and honestly, slogans would have done jack at the time I was seriously contemplating suicide or actually acting on it. But that's not the point of the thread).

Emettman:

I see your point. I have been there. People begging me not to kill myself and me thinking, how selfish are you? Don't you see that I am in serious mental and emotional pain here? and u are asking me to consider your request? Pffftttt. But, and there is a huge but here, it was actually a song written by a guy who's father commited suicide that slowly started to change my perception of it. It's selfish on both sides. I want to die. People who love me want me to live. But the pain that this song talks about, IDK, it just...I told myself this is what my kids would be asking themselves. Except i would be dead and they wouldn't be able to get their answers. So even tho I am in so much pain that I actually want to die, which here really is the greater of the two evils. Do I sacrifice my own comfort for that of my children. I finally decided that yes, I would do that. That decision FORCED me to find another way of dealing with the pain. I turned it into something that had meaning for me and didn't seem pointless and that made a huge difference. I make huge leaps and bounds everyday.

And no need to apologize. I haven't even had my coffee yet.

Ones I've actually used:

"there's nothing more humiliating than waking up in the ER spitting up charcoal"

"suicide: It's too goddamn much work"

"suicide never works, the human body is a tough bastard"

and on more angsty days:

"you get to day once in your life. save it until you can make it mean something."

I read a blog recently about suicide ideation. In the blog was this statement: "for those of us who do think about it, it is not something we choose to think about. It's a compulsion: Ideation. I have the ideation, not the intent."

I thought of two somewhat lame slogans:

Talk about suicide

Just don't do it.

Share your pain and

Keep both feet on the earth

There aren't any answers

Only choices

Edited by water

"Life isn't a game, so getting help doesn't mean you lose"

"Life is like riding a bicycle. Sometimes the effort can be too much, but at least you'll get to where you are going instead of staying still"

I dunno. I think they should be positive statements. Like what's been said before in this thread, guilting someone about suicide will only make them feel worse.

But anything that puts life in perspective can help. Makes you see outside the tunnelvision depression gives you.

The one thought that's helped me more than any other I found on the metanoia.org website, which someone else also mentioned:

You can't feel the relief you seek if you're dead.

It doesn't play on guilt, and doesn't have that sacchariny, Hallmark card feel, so might have more appeal to a soldier. When I've been suicidal it's the only thing that kept me hanging on. What I wanted the most was relief from pain, and if suicide wasn't going to let me feel better, than what's the point?

The "permanent solution to a temporary problem" always pissed me off. At the times I was suicidal, I wasn't trying to escape from a problem, other then unbearable psychic pain. I know that I can solve other problems about money, etc, that some people seem to think are the reason that people commit suicide. I actually got so pissed off when someone said about someone who had commited suicide, "They took the easy way out", that I had to get up in the middle of a restaurant meal and leave.

Also, someone here used to have in their signature something to the effect of: "Why not try to get through today? You can always kill yourself tomorrow." But that may be misconstrued by some so as a slogan it's probably not a great idea.

"surely you don't want to die when the world is still full of pie.....mmmmmmmmm.....pie"

My dad basically would say to me "If you kill yourself, you will never get better." Kind of lame, but I knew what he meant, and it kept me going.

there is no closure with suicide..

it's not an escape, it's life without love.

your breath keeps their souls alive..

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that you're military, so you'd be distributing these to army types?

If so, then I reckon (and I'm only guessing really) that some people would be a bit reluctant to come forward about depression, because of the risk of it affecting their career. So maybe the "slogan" needs to be reassuring people that they can see their doctor and get help without losing their jobs? Assuming that's true of course, I don't know how things work in America.

I was convinced that I wouldn't be allowed to graduate if I was diagnosed with depression, so I put it off for a long long time. I was finally persuaded to see a doctor when I was making plans to end my life - a friend of mine (who lives abroad and doesn't know my other friends, so it's easier to open up to her - even if I'd told her what the plan was, she wouldn't have been able to intervene) told me that OK, maybe I wouldn't get to be a doctor if I got treatment, but if I killed myself, I definitely wouldn't qualify - and I also would never travel the world, never have babies, never see my brother graduate. Admittedly she also called the doctor without asking me first, asked a lot of questions about confidentiality, then pretended to be me and made me an appointment, which helped!

Um, protracted ramble there and I haven't actually come up with any slogans. D'oh.

Nothing is lost, only changed.

edited to add:

Thinking of snuffing it? Put it off till the next day .......it saved my life.

Edited by water

A picture of a kitten with a caption that reads: She'll miss you. A puppy could also work.

When I was in that boat what helped me was that statistic (that I can't find, but you're smart, you'll find it) about how many people regret their choice while they're dying. I just knew that with my luck I'd be one of those people - a fuck-up to the end, I guess.

Or that if it failed everyone would find out and make fun of me like "hey, Rosie can't even kill themselves properly! Sheesh" kinda concept. Not sure if that would make a very good slogan, though.

if you are going through hell ... keep going. (winston churchill i think said this)

[one of the only advices my dad has given me that i sort of agree with.]

[all the other ones i can think of are too stupid/funny to post]

[also i just realized this thread is old]

Edited by allgetlost