CrazyBoards.org

Appointment with the ladydoctor finally came around but my hopes of any easy fix didn't happen. She said it's a tricky case so she said she would consult with pdoc, sent me away with a few options and instructions to call in a week and tell her what I decide. Also wasn't certain that the progesterone was the culprit in the Yasmin disaster.

The options:

1) Try a lower dose birth control pill like Yaz.

2) Get an Implanon. Less invasive than the Mirena but it looks like it worsens depression for 5.5% of people.

3) Get a Mirena. (6.4% experienced worse depression)

4) Possibly add another AD (ladydoctor didn't elaborate but I'm hesitant to change the amitryptaline)

5) Start on a mood stabilizer (this was pdocs idea, possibly Lamictal)

Does anybody have any advice on what may work? I've been reading some of the meta reviews and it's a little dismal. Doing nothing isn't an option.

I've never had the official PMDD label, but I've had some shitty moodiness around that time - beyond the norm. I take Lamictal and Abilify and they help a little, but an AD is what finally made a big difference. I get the mood stabilizer intuition - PMDD and other cyclical depressions are freakishly like BP disorders. But I wonder if PMDD is more of a serotonin issue. If I recall correctly, it's thought that serotonin levels drop around that time of the month (That's why a lot of women get carb cravings - boosts serotonin).

I take Effexor XR. I'm a fan. Hits more serotonin than Elavil, from what I understand.

As for hormonal options - blargh. I couldn't take hormonal birth control pills for a long time because they fucked with my mood too much. I can tolerate Ortho-Novum 7/7/7 for whatever reason. Ortho-Novum 1/35 was OK, too. The low low dose pills, Yasmin, and the Nuva Ring made me a train wreck. Not sure why that is. The joys of funky brain chemistry, I suppose.

• 4 months later...

Appointment with the ladydoctor finally came around but my hopes of any easy fix didn't happen. She said it's a tricky case so she said she would consult with pdoc, sent me away with a few options and instructions to call in a week and tell her what I decide. Also wasn't certain that the progesterone was the culprit in the Yasmin disaster.

The options:

1) Try a lower dose birth control pill like Yaz.

2) Get an Implanon. Less invasive than the Mirena but it looks like it worsens depression for 5.5% of people.

3) Get a Mirena. (6.4% experienced worse depression)

4) Possibly add another AD (ladydoctor didn't elaborate but I'm hesitant to change the amitryptaline)

5) Start on a mood stabilizer (this was pdocs idea, possibly Lamictal)

Does anybody have any advice on what may work? I've been reading some of the meta reviews and it's a little dismal. Doing nothing isn't an option.

Thanks you for the post.

Watch The Karate Kid Online Free

• 2 weeks later...

I know that when estrogen rises, serotonin drops, which is prob why they suggested a low-dose (lower estrogen/progesterone) pill and/or mood stabilizer and/or AD (my pdoc said that I'd just augment my normal meds routine for a few days with the additional AD).

I don't know anything about Mirena or Implanon.

As for the augmenting with more of the same AD/a different AD, I need to chart my months more carefully first, so I know exactly what days I would need to take them.

That's my experience with all this nastiness.

yeah me too, I don't know anything about Mirena or Implanon.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since this original post, but thought I'd add that I spent a couple of years going down this road and finally settled on Danazol. Your doctor may go "Huh?" if you mention it - it's pretty old-school (formerly used to treat uterine bleeding). It has completly stabilized my mood. No menstrual cycle. I had hoped it would help with the migraine, but alas, no luck on that front.

I've been on it a little over a year. Just got a second opinion about the treatment from another doctor. 200 mg every other day with 100 mg of Aldactone to keep me from turning into a man.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I am a newbie here, but I have been diagnosed with PMDD and I tried Zoloft, did nothing for the 2 wks prior to my period rages. My Gyn suggested I try Yaz but I decided to go with Prozac and give that a shot first. I cannot tell you if it has helped bc I just started taking it 4 wks ago. I chose to go with Prozac bc I would like to stay away from birth control, but if it all comes down to needing it, then I will take it. Good Luck with your choice and I hope whatever you choose helps!

Hey, welcome Nikki.

SSRIs have the most evidence for helping with PMDD (more than BC) so it's worth trying another one. I hope it works for you.

As an update lamictal didn't work so under the advice of an endocrinologist I'm (very tentatively) trialing another BC pill. Waiting until exams are over.

Thanks! Yea, I read up on Prozac and brought it up to my counselor and together we decided to talk to my pdoc about it, and she started me on it. I hope this is it bc my PMDD really is my biggest problem, I hate it. I hope your new med works as well :)

Archived