CrazyBoards.org

Here, let me give you my card...

...and don't worry that'll be the last reference to the movie Harvey that I make on the site, unless I decide to add a quote I particularly like from said movie as my signature. ;)

Stumbled across this site yesterday doing a search for something, and I was surprised to finally find a forum addressing all these topics that isn't (((((HUGS))))) every third post, moronic bromides out the pooper and with a ToS so strict you feel like you're navigating a mine field with every post you make. To be honest I've kind of sworn off posting on forums, though I still lurk on a few occasionally. I've never actually gotten in trouble anywhere, but there's a lot of cases where I'm pretty sure I would have had I said what I wanted to say. Whatever. That's my problem, not anyone else's issue.

Anyway, here's a list of what I take, when I take it, and what I take it for:

th_MedicationPost.png

Though the ADHD-PI diagnosis is at present under review. I'm trying to get evaluated for Asperger's, we shall see what happens on that score. I seem to show signs of both, as in spacing out when I should be paying attention and having no clue what someone really means when they say something to me, and other stuff as well, that I can bore others with as appropriate.

The only question I did have: how honest are we allowed to be if we're thinking about suicide? I don't mean in terms of posting methods, or announcing that I plan to "catch the bus" on such-and-such a date, neither of which I would ever do, more like what I see as the pluses and minuses of it, both generally and as it relates to me personally. My gut tells me some places would interpret stuff like that as actively advocating in favor of suicide, but I'm not sure how it would be taken here. FTR, I disagree that that sort of thing is advocacy of suicide, but I'll not post on that topic if that's how things roll here. I'm pretty good at abiding by rules, even where I disagree with them.

Anyway, I'll probably lurk far more than I will post whatever the answer to the above is. Lately I've been really turning inward, without much interest in communicating with others. Probably more out of laziness than anything else, since, like I said, I do lurk on a few boards and blogs, so on some level or other I must be interested in what others have to say. Just not much in saying anything myself.

But I figured I owed the board the courtesy of an introduction post, since I did register and do plan on logging in once in a while.

Welcome!

I'm not a moderator or anything, just a member. I've read of some people who made me think "OK, fine, suicide actually sounds like a moderately rational option for you," but 99.9% of the time this is not the case. So I definitely wouldn't want to say anything that might be construed as "encouraging" anyone to suicide. Because when you're depressed (or dysphoric), and suicide feels like a good option, you are not in a good state of mind to be contemplating your "options"...

So I really wouldn't do it... Because it will probably be read by a person who's already suicidal to begin with...

Hi Elwood. I'm glad you decided to introduce yourself. Welcome to CrazyBoards. Take a look around. In addition to the boards there are blogs and chat as well.

As for suicide pros and cons, I think it can make for somewhat interesting intellectual conversation, especially in a world w/o people actively contemplating suicide. However, people sometimes seek out these boards when they are. What might just be philosophical points to you and me could be seen as another reason to follow thru. It's not worth the chance, ya know. I also know that when I've been in a real bad place, that type of discussion would have one me no good. Right or wrong, I assume that it is the same for at least some others. So, probably best to not open that discussion here. I'm glad you asked about it first, though. That's cool.

I *love* Harvey! Both of them. Thanks for the reminder of a movie I like so much.

Anyway, I think that discussions about suicide wouldn't be a really good idea - not because it would be seen as advocating suicide but because if someone was two steps away from doing the deed they *might* read it and see what someone lists as "pros" and ignore the "cons" because, you know, they're not in their right mind. Sure we can put up all the trigger warnings we want, but I think that's treading on thin ice.

Just my two cents' worth.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.

Hi Elwood,

I'm a Harvey fan myself and have a cat named Pookah which is really apt. Recently I read the original play and I could see why it was a natch for a movie.

glad you found your way here.

I agree with the others about suicide conversations. On one board I know, it's brought up over and over, and while ppl are seriously depressed and needing help- and getting it- I find it distressing and leading me to ideations that are definitely not healthy for me. So I avoid those threads.

All, thanks for the welcome and rules clarification. I sort of see what you all are saying, and I'll not post on that topic here. Not saying I'm necessarily in full agreement w/it, but I can certainly understand the fear that something I might think of as an intellectual problem being something someone else might take to heart.

Glad I was able to get clarification before I found myself in trouble.

Quite frankly as a weird looking, short, fat middle-aged man I don't normally think that anything I say is going to influence anyone anyways, except maybe to repel them from whatever idea(s) I might have. The medium being the message and all that.

Archived