CrazyBoards.org

My Doctor and Xanax

My doctor has been so hell bent on getting me off the Xanax. It is the only thing that works for my panic attacks. I have no history with substance abuse and I only take the .5 Xanax when i need it. Which is usually twice a day,some times 3. I never take more than 1.5 mg a day. I don't understand his problem. If something is working for me and I am feeling good again,why is he so cautious about it? He lowerd my quanity of them yet again this month. So once again come the end of the month,I am going to have to call him because I will run out of them. Then I really feel like a drug addict! Though, I am taking them as prescribed and not abusing them in any way. he is from another country and our conversations are pretty hard to comprehend. I just need him to understand where I am coming from on this. I guess I am just ranting and seeing if anyone else has this problem.

Some (some would say many) doctors see benzos as a short term solution only. Your doctor appears to fall into that catagory.

You have two options: talk to your doctor about his hesitation to quit the benzos when you still need them and come to a consensus, or find another doctor. Because if you can't talk to your doctor and convince him that you need 90 a month, you will never change his mind.

To answer your question, yes, I've encountered issues with certain doctors and benzos. While I only take them PRN, I take a high dose because I've been on them so long. So some doctors freak when they see my dose. But after I only need a refill every 4-5 months, they start feeling more comfortable with me.

Archived