CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin xl generic

I was on the brand name Wellbutrin Xl and loved it. I was lucky enough to have good insurance to stay on the brand name when everybody else had to change to generic. I remember people talking about how bad the generic brands were. I'm not sure but I think Teva's was the worst. I read about the FDA's research about the serum levels changing and stated that the fact that the more rapid absorption didn't make a difference. I left a message on this site but cant find it now. My message was about the original maker of the brand Wellbutrin (GSK) moving their pharmacy to Biovail in Canada. I believe they also changed the formula for Wellbutrin XL.

Even though I stayed with the GSK brand, I noticed my mail order RX label changed. On the label from Medco, it read GSK (Biovail) at the bottom. Within a few weeks, I started getting suicidal. I've never been suicidal before. I figured it could be something else-even though none of my meds hadn't changed in years. (It took me over 10 years to get to "normal" and I was so happy to finally be on the correct meds for 5 years.)

About 3 months ago, I finally figured out that it was GSK changing their formula.

This is gross, but it's one way I can show that there is a difference. Okay, when I was on Wellbutrin-the real stuff- I noticed the pills "shells" in the toilet everyday. It freaked me out until I figured out that's what they were. When GSK moved their pharmacy to Canada, I never saw those two little pill shells in my BMs. I know it's gross but wouldn't that be a good way to show they are absorbed in my body differently?

I've tried GSK's other buproprion like medications. Each time, I became suicidal. So, I'm SOL. I quit taking bupropion all together but wonder if there are any good generics out there.

Will somebody please let me know if they noticed the same thing? Is there a substitute that works as well as the original yet?

Thanks for your help,

DW

I rushed to my supply of pills after I read your post. I started taking Wellbutrin a year ago, and went from the IR, to the SR and now take the XL. I had an original GSK bottle dated 12/08 which said that it was made by Biovail for GSK, just like my bottle says now.

Could it be Medco? I'm sure the pills are the same, but...

What if you got one month supply of brand from a local pharmacy? I did order once from Medco and they screwed up and sent me the generic. They finally sent the brand but blamed my pdoc and charged me for the generic and the brand. I got so anxious and freaked I never used them again.

edited: in the light, the pills from local pharmacy GSK(Biovail) have a darker black curved stamp, 'wellblutrtin XL 300'.

Medco GSK(Biovail) - that stamp is lighter and off center. I think. And the local pharmacy GSK pills are tiny teeny bit bigger. I don't know what this means, if anything.

Guest dirtywonderful

When I went to my GP yesterday, I had to wait for him. In the meantime, I looked up the info on my iPhone. I read that GSK

"diverted" Wellbutrin to Biovail a long time ago. Right now Biovail's website states they are doing another study with a larger group of people and planning to submit their results to the FDA. I believe GSK used Biovail to manufacture Wellbutrin from the start. I'll need to read all the info again because I'm not sure what everything means. Biovail now makes another form of buproprion now. It's supposed to gave a different type of release. It's Aplezin.

Has anybody had good results with Aplezin. Some websites show Aplezin to have great results while others state the opposite. It makes me question where the two sites get their results. I don't trust any pharmaceutical companies anymore. Especially GSK. It's just weird that GSK sold to Bivail at the same time it went to generic. From what U've seen, most of the US gets their medication from smaller companies overseas. It's all about money and deals with our great FDA. The FDA has approved so many medications that have hurt the US consumers that they are supposed to be protecting. Big companies have too much money pouring into our government now. It's really disapointing. You know the FDA still defends the generic buproprion is safe. After people complained about the damage they suffered when Wellbutrin went to generic, the FDA admitted the release of the generic medication's was much faster and made a difference in serum levels but said it didn't make a large enough impact to make so many people sick. Independant studies produced different results and proved the rapid release could make a large impact on consumers.

This is just another perfect example of how the FDA doesn't listen to all the people in the U. S.. Look at Vioxx and Chantix - to name a few.

I'll get off the soap box now. I just want to know how many people (that had great results with Wellbutrin) had to either stop taking it or worse. I wish there is a way to find out how many people became suicidal and took their lives because the pharmaceutical companies became greedy. It's sad.

Again, where can I find real results about Aplezin. I asked my GP for an Aplezin RX. He said he hasn't given any of his patients prescriptions for Aplezin yet but I'm so desperate to get something as good as Wellbutrin XL. It was the only medication that worked for me-after ten years of trying every med on the market. I'm sure many people on this board know how hard it is to try one medication after another for years. I'm trying to keep my faith.

Sorry for any mistakes in this message. I'm not used to my new smart phone yet and I'm in such a hurry to post this reply.

Thanks for your reply.

• 3 months later...
Guest lala

i just atarted welbutrin 150 mg xl the generic and I dont feel anything but tired. When does this stuff kick in? even when I took prozac I felt something after a few days.

Guest dirtywonderful

Well... Biovail makes another buproprion (buproprion HBR). They're making it for Sanofi-Aventis. Aplenzin (HBR buproprion) is extended release and is supposed to be the equivalent to Wellbutrin XL. The dosages are different. One 150mg pill of Wellbutrin is supposed to be equivalent to one 174mg Aplezin, 300mg Wellbutrin XL is equaI to 384mg Aplenzin and 450mg of Wellbutrin XL is equal to 522mg Applenzin. When I got depressed (about the time GlaxoSmithKline sold their BRAND name to Biovail), I hit rock bottom. After researching and researching, I couldn't find anybody who was taking Aplenzin. So, I decided to try taking Aplenzin. I was on the 174mg dose for about 3 or 4 days and suddenly got a lot of energy. I was excited to see the change. But the energy went away about 2 days later. I've been on it for about two months now and even increased my dose but haven't noticed anything similar to the Wellbutrin XL. However, the skin on my left palm has peeled so much. It gets very close to becoming raw sometimes. I know it's a bad side effect but I had the same effect when I started Wellbutrin XL.

However, I was increasing my Lamictal at the same time as Wellbutrin, I believe. I was so worried about the effects of Lamictal that some of Wellbutrin's effects on my body were probably blamed on Lamictal.

Now that I think about it. I'm thinking that when my hands started peeling (as I was increasing my Lamictal and just added Wellbutrin XL), I would be worried about getting Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) from Lamictal instead of thinking it had anything to do with Wellbutrin.

I get a printed sheet with my Aplenzin refill. It states all the common, uncommon and the extremely rare/ dangerous side effects of Aplenzin. Since I think the effects are very similar to Wellbutrin XL, then QSKline should have been handing out the same cautionary info. I don't think Wellbutrin's drug monograph ever stated anything about peeling skin being a side effect at all. I was taking it years ago and regulations have changed dramatically. I wanna check it out when I get a chance. I had a real strange heart rythym come out of nowhere last night- what I used to blame on Lamictal.

After saying all that, I want to say that I had a minor case of stupor. I wasn't worried at the time because I was feeling better (depression wise). But, there was a week or two of me being extremely tired and I had two experiences with shortness of breath. Everything died down and I was nice, happy and had my normal energy back. It was great! I wasn't ever lazy and quit procrastinating- stuff that really ruins your daily life.

I'm sticking it out because the results were great with Wellbutrin XL from GSKline before they sold out.

I'm going to come back and post more when I don't have people running wild through my house.

I was on the brand name Wellbutrin Xl and loved it. I was lucky enough to have good insurance to stay on the brand name when everybody else had to change to generic. I remember people talking about how bad the generic brands were. I'm not sure but I think Teva's was the worst. I read about the FDA's research about the serum levels changing and stated that the fact that the more rapid absorption didn't make a difference. I left a message on this site but cant find it now. My message was about the original maker of the brand Wellbutrin (GSK) moving their pharmacy to Biovail in Canada. I believe they also changed the formula for Wellbutrin XL.

Even though I stayed with the GSK brand, I noticed my mail order RX label changed. On the label from Medco, it read GSK (Biovail) at the bottom. Within a few weeks, I started getting suicidal. I've never been suicidal before. I figured it could be something else-even though none of my meds hadn't changed in years. (It took me over 10 years to get to "normal" and I was so happy to finally be on the correct meds for 5 years.)

About 3 months ago, I finally figured out that it was GSK changing their formula.

This is gross, but it's one way I can show that there is a difference. Okay, when I was on Wellbutrin-the real stuff- I noticed the pills "shells" in the toilet everyday. It freaked me out until I figured out that's what they were. When GSK moved their pharmacy to Canada, I never saw those two little pill shells in my BMs. I know it's gross but wouldn't that be a good way to show they are absorbed in my body differently?

I've tried GSK's other buproprion like medications. Each time, I became suicidal. So, I'm SOL. I quit taking bupropion all together but wonder if there are any good generics out there.

Will somebody please let me know if they noticed the same thing? Is there a substitute that works as well as the original yet?

Thanks for your help,

DW

DW... what is your timeline for this?????? It would certainly explain a LOT! I'm still taking brand name but I don't look too close at the bottles as long as the pills match what I've been taking.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!! FD

• 5 months later...

I too find that GSK worked wonders for me also. Then, because of money issues I started ordering the brand Wellbutrin XL 300 mg from a Canadian pharmacy. I have been on this mediation for several months & I am concerned that it is not the same kind of medication that GSK manufactured. Has anyone had the same questions, concerns, etc.? It just seems like I am very emotional with the Canadian supposed "brand" name Wellbutrin XL 300 mg, than the real GSK brand.

Archived