CrazyBoards.org

Weaning off meds

I increased my Zyprexa to 5 mg last night. I also slept until 12:45 this afternoon when my daughter had to be in kindergarten at 12:45. So yes, my two young daughters were awake by themselves while I slept and tore my house apart (thank God they are ok.) Their father stopped by and I played it off that I was keeping my daughter home from school to go get her a new backpack but it was really because I hadn't been awake long enough to get her ready. I think he knew. I'm worried child protection will come here for the second time because of it. With the expensive copays ($50 each) and the sleeping in due to med effect, I just can't risk this anymore or afford to do this anymore. I have to try to wean myself off of my medications. I do have BPD but obviously have a mood disorder of some kind on top of it. Paxil has helped me in the past and that's the only thing I'm really amenable to trying at this point but don't know how to confront my psych about it. I don't want to mention what happened this morning or they'll call child protection. I feel so confused. Right now I'm on Depakote 1500 mg at night, Klonopin 0.5 mg 3x a day, Lexapro 10 mg in the morning, and Zyprexa 5 mg at night. I need to wean off all of it and am not sure where to start. Any suggestions? I've tried all the patient assistance programs and I make too much or don't qualify for them, FWIW. I support 3 people on an okay amount of money but not enough to pay for therapist, psychiatrist, medications, psychologist for my daughter, all those copays. no way.

Wow leadinglady, that's a radical jump, I'm with Di, try to see if you can find a friend or other family member to help you in the morning. You very well might lose your kids if you aren't med compliant, I know pdoc's and tdocs will call if they suspect abuse/neglect so that is a very valid concern. Are you sure you weren't just up too late? A med change usually needs more time then just overnight to have the desired effect. I wouldn't just start weaning off your meds like that, if you need them you need them. I think Di's right, your illness won't go away on its own, and you need to work on the problem of being awake when your kids are, I would go to bed when they do, and do that without fail so you get enough sleep.

Please think about this further, I understand you're depressed, from the other thread you posted the other day, but this is not the answer if you want to keep your precious children.

I take my meds no later than 7 pm. That is, the sleep-all-morning effects are gone by, say, 9 am. I get up at 8:15 by alarm every day to take kiddo #2 to school.

Bottom line is that if you can't make your meds fit your life, your gonna have a crappy like. Try taking them in the morning, in the afternoon. Keep a log. Try one med at a time.

Archived