CrazyBoards.org

Hi guys,

This is driving me nuts... I have chronic rhinitis with post-nasal drip, so my throat was all sore today. Usually, it's just my nose being runny. It gets so bad, when I'm out with people, I always have to interupt everything to take care of my nose, and it's getting frustrating.

Suspecting allergies (Even though it's winter), I'm taking Allegra and using Nasonex. That's helping somewhat, but not completely (I'm also not very regular about using my Nasonex).

I'm going to be experimenting with moister air, since it is dry, but I'm wondering if it could also be a side effect of one of my medications?

I'm really frustrated no one knows why, and that I can't seem to fix this!

I have no idea about your problem, I just had to commiserate with you. My nose runs every time I eat, and no doctor can tell me why.

So while your living through your post-nasal drip hell, just think of me and my napkin and the reason why I never go out to eat with anyone!

Lots of stuff to be allergic to in the winter - dust, dust mites. People often get a runny nose outside in cold weather. Check the PI sheets for your meds (it can be a side effect), but if it's not connected with a med change, I'd be more inclined to your allergy hypothesis.

Does it get, say, 50% better with the Allegra? Then it could be allergies, but they're bad enough it's not the whole solution. Use the Nasonex daily - say, in the morning right after you get up (if you wake up with a sore throat, take it just before bed).

But for really bad post nasal drip . . . you want Singulair. And Astelin (which is a antihistamine nasal spray). Decongestants can help some people - check out Sudafed PE - but before you do, check for interactions of phenylephrine (Sudafed PE) with all of your medications. Don't get pseudoephedrine - that is know to interact with psych meds.

Don't discount "avoidance" either -- i.e., if you can find out what you're allergic to, you can keep yourself away from it. I.e., if you're allergic to dust, you can dust with a damp sponge. Or get special mattress and pillow covers.

Better humidity is always better for your nose.

Good luck.

I have no idea about your problem, I just had to commiserate with you. My nose runs every time I eat, and no doctor can tell me why.

So while your living through your post-nasal drip hell, just think of me and my napkin and the reason why I never go out to eat with anyone!

I understand COMPLETELY. When I go out to eat, I always get frustrated that they never give me enough napkins. The ones I get just wind up soaked and useless, and I feel stupid asking repeatedly for more. It's a bit embarrassing and frustrating. ;)

Lots of stuff to be allergic to in the winter - dust, dust mites. People often get a runny nose outside in cold weather. Check the PI sheets for your meds (it can be a side effect), but if it's not connected with a med change, I'd be more inclined to your allergy hypothesis.

Does it get, say, 50% better with the Allegra? Then it could be allergies, but they're bad enough it's not the whole solution. Use the Nasonex daily - say, in the morning right after you get up (if you wake up with a sore throat, take it just before bed).

Thanks Kodos, great advice.

It does improve with Allegra and Nasonex for sure. Apparently runny nose is a side effect of Celexa, but I seem to remember ALWAYS having this problem regardless of meds, and I do have a history of allergies. I'm supposed to use the Nasonex twice a day, I just hate squirting stuff up my nose.

I just had a 2 week trial of Seroquel and boy, the whole time I felt I was in hayfever hell. My nose was so stuffy and runny and blah.

As far as I'm aware, Seroquel is an anti-histamine and this is a known side-effect.

For many reasons, I dumped the meds and hey presto, nose is doing fine.

My husband just went through a bad bout of post-nasal drip and rhinitis and all that. He cured it with a neti pot. They're cheap, you can buy them at CVS and the other big chain stores, and there is no medication involved.

He used it 3-4 times a day and after a few days he saw great improvement. Within a week, his rhinitis was gone and he put the neti pot away.

If you don't know what it is, check it out on line. I think it's fabulous to fix up your nasal passages with this thing and not have to take a medicine.

olga

Hi guys,

This is driving me nuts... I have chronic rhinitis with post-nasal drip, so my throat was all sore today. Usually, it's just my nose being runny. It gets so bad, when I'm out with people, I always have to interupt everything to take care of my nose, and it's getting frustrating.

How long has it been going on, and are there any reliable triggers to it? If the honest answers are 1. "years", and 2. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you", do some research on vasomotor rhinitis.

It's one of the reasons I still always have a handkerchief in my pocket, a hand towel in the car, OTC antihistamines and decongestants in my bookbag (and for a while an inhaler) ... you get the picture. It turns out that the amphetamine I'm prescribed for ADHD can keep it in check long-term. The next best thing was full-strength diphenhydramine, but that has a lot of unwelcome side effects when you aren't actually treating an allergy.

Okay, well I cleaned my room spotless, dusted and obsessively got rid of every possible allergen. And, I put a humidifier (with filter) in my room too.

So, I'm going to give this a try and see if that helps stop it at the source. Also using Saline to flush out my sinuses, but it's a pain in the butt to do it regularly. I've seen the netti pots. They look pretty cool... not sure how expensive they are. I'll check it out.

Archived