CrazyBoards.org

The music in my head....

Well, no, that's not normal. At least it's Kate Bush (always nice to find another KT fan).

How loud is it? If you hear another song, what happens? Is it the original RUTH or the remix?

A lot of people have to buy an iPod for that experience. You're getting a freebie. wink.gif

This is something I live with on a daily basis. Some days are better than others. I won't tell you the tune I have stuck in my head...because they have the ability to ...leap from my head to yours...and vice versa.

It's usually a catchy tune or the last song I listened to.

I bring it up all the time to my pdoc but she insists it's not anything related to BP and doesn't seem to concerned by it.

Really sucks though... drives me batshit at least a few times a day...

How do you deal with it? Is there a med that helps it?

They can never take my music away from me, even after ECT. I was in the phospital right after Michael Jackson died, so I would wake up to PYT (with a massive headache) every time. some songs stick and repeat, sometimes a tele commercial song will get me going. I also Like to remix songs since i process them so much. I think it can affect my mood good or bad. The music plays at grocery store level and louder when hypomanic. It does not stop ever. I have Sarah Mclachlan Untouchable mixing in my head. It is from a very emotional animal humane society commercial.

I grew up playing music and writing it (my major in college partido uno) and still play in an old fart garage band on occasion. (the days of doing the club thing before the internet and eating beans out of the van was definitely unsustainable... though I still think I gave up to easily).

Anyway, I can't think of a moment in my entire life where there wasn't a tune in my head. Although I did have Machinehead in my noggin' for a coupla weeks. That drove me nuts. While it's the ultimate mountain biking soundtrack to have in the noodle, when you're trying to sleep it leaves one pretty blinkered.

I hear music all the time too - but then I listen to it most of the day anyway to focus my racing thoughts.

When I was little, I'd sing and re-create music in my head to try and ignore the voices and I guess it's just stuck. Annoying when I'm trying to have an important conversation or meeting though, as I can't focus on anything but the music.

It's a friend when I'm lonely though.

Loving the Kate Bush - personal fav is Hounds of Love!

This is something I live with on a daily basis. Some days are better than others. I won't tell you the tune I have stuck in my head...because they have the ability to ...leap from my head to yours...and vice versa.

Tempestia, there are people here with all sorts of crazy. The song that drives you batty might not even survive being stuck in my head.

You might have no problem with the DNA remix of Tom's Diner featuring Suzanne Vega (yes, that song) while every ADHD member who just clicked the link is hating me now (Don't whine. I *could* have stuck a rickroll in, but didn't. THIS time ;) )

I bring it up all the time to my pdoc but she insists it's not anything related to BP and doesn't seem to concerned by it.

The belief that the songs can jump from one head to another if you name them and thereby give them power sounds like "magical thinking" - which isn't an inherent symptom of bipolar disorder.

The experience of getting a "catchy" song stuck in your head that just won't go away is a common problem for most normal people. After all, that is why it's "catchy"

Having any old song do it, all the time, seems to go with any mental illness that causes problems with attention. Treating the underlying illness with the appropriate medications seems to reduce the problem.

The belief that the songs can jump from one head to another if you name them and thereby give them power sounds like "magical thinking" - which isn't an inherent symptom of bipolar disorder.

I don't know how to use the multi-quote thingy but I don't really believe the songs can jump from one brain to the next... I was being a smart ass

I don't know any normal people that have snippets of song stuck in their heads... then again maybe I don't know any normal people ;)

I don't know how to use the multi-quote thingy but I don't really believe the songs can jump from one brain to the next... I was being a smart ass

Some folks here do have psychotic symptoms to go along with their bipolar disorder or depression. Better for me to give a "straight" answer, so to speak.

If you actually believed the songs could leap from your head to someone else's, I'd suggest a schizophrenic slant....

BUT since you don't, it's moot.

I DO however think that, while this might not be an inherent symptom of bipolar, I think it might still be an implied symptom.

For example- everyone gets ear worms, it's how jingles work. There's actually math that goes along with that, but it is way over my head... and I don't know whether the constancy itself is peculiar either, cause I've met a lot of non-crazies that go through that too (they do all tend to be musicians though)... HOWEVER- when I am ramping up on my hypomania, or heading into manic territory, the music in my head gets a LOT louder (drowns out some external sounds and is very distracting) and it usually doubles up the tracks... like, there's not 1 song in my head, there's usually at least 2 and sometimes 3... but that's me. And it plays loud and on repeat and never the full song and it makes me want to cry.

Does it get worse at times, or accompany racing thoughts? Is it just something that's *there*, or is it a constant distraction to you where it's hard to get any work done?

I generally have about five different "trains" of thought running independently in my brain all the time. I've had this crowded cacophony of thought since I was a child. Almost always, one of the trains is a song. Right now, I'm running a Cold song in my head, cause I'm just into them right now.

If you actually believed the songs could leap from your head to someone else's, I'd suggest a schizophrenic slant....

BUT since you don't, it's moot.

I DO however think that, while this might not be an inherent symptom of bipolar, I think it might still be an implied symptom.

For example- everyone gets ear worms, it's how jingles work. There's actually math that goes along with that, but it is way over my head... and I don't know whether the constancy itself is peculiar either, cause I've met a lot of non-crazies that go through that too (they do all tend to be musicians though)... HOWEVER- when I am ramping up on my hypomania, or heading into manic territory, the music in my head gets a LOT louder (drowns out some external sounds and is very distracting) and it usually doubles up the tracks... like, there's not 1 song in my head, there's usually at least 2 and sometimes 3... but that's me. And it plays loud and on repeat and never the full song and it makes me want to cry.

Does it get worse at times, or accompany racing thoughts? Is it just something that's *there*, or is it a constant distraction to you where it's hard to get any work done?

That is actually quite accurate of what occurs in my head, wow im not alone. When the thoughts start a'racin, the music turns up, repeats phrases which I think changes mood. I can remix and crossfade back and forth. After reading all of the replies, I no longer have the Superjail theme song repeating, oh no, it's back to Kate Bush and, oh great i have been 'rick rolled' just by reading the two words together,lol. Effing Great, I may as well play Saturday Love by Cherelle and Alexander O'neil... three minutes later... no luck with one song only, must be hypo 'cause im crossfading like an ipod on a ten second demo switch. :):);)

Oh yeah, the music never dies when I'm hypo.

I want to listen to it more (physically, that is) and then it's playing in my head, over and over, on top of other thoughts, conversations, real music playing, the noise of the kids, and it helps me to focus on what I'm doing. So it's good for me.

Yeah, it gets annoying when you can't find an off switch though, especially when you want to sleep or listen properly to someone talking to you.

Any music does it though, not just what I want to hear. So that's not so cool.

Hope you find a way to censor it when needed, but otherwise, make the most of it if you can ;)

I hear music in my head all of the time. I wake up to music and fall asleep to it. Is this normal? (kate bush runnin up that hill is stuck in my head) A side note, that music video is bad a$$!

Sweet sounds will soothe the soul,happens to me on a daily basis,it's pure serenity once youv'e mastered control of your play list.Got to keep a handle on the inane audio pop ups.Take care

To keep my racing thoughts company, I generally have one instrumental or classical piece running in my head at all times. This is then overlapped by whatever jingle has recently stuck, and like mentioned by others, I never get the whole thing, just a line or two, over and over.

To keep the jingle and the classical company, there is oftentimes a cool song bouncing around, too.

This all happens along with the five different trains trying to do their thing in opposite thought directions, like some sort of horribly awry algebra problem.

No wonder I have a headache so much of the time. ;)

I usually have *something* going on in my brain. But mine is like a stuck record. Could be earworms, but it's over and over and over again, and it's ALL THE FREAKING TIME!!! ;) I have to have something external to drown it out or it will drive me insane - esp when I'm walking and the rhythm of the walk will sync with the song in my head... aaaahhhhh!

Today it was Puff the Magic Dragon - I don't know how or why, but that's the song that kept playing in my mind.

Archived