CrazyBoards.org

Should I Switch To Zoloft?

I'm taking 200mg of Pristiq for anxiety. I started 50mg of Pristiq in April 2009 and then slowly increased it to 200mg. I've been on 200mg for about 2 and half weeks now. My anxiety has gotten worse since going from 150mg to 200mg. I read somewhere that the anxiety with antidepressants gets worse before it gets better. So should I give the increased dose of 200mg more time? The only other option left is Zoloft coz I've tried most of the other AD's and none of them work. Would you think Zoloft is more effective? Anyone here had good results with it for anxiety?

Just to say the Pristiq has helped a little but I still feel really anxious and nervous. Would it be worth switching to Zoloft?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking 200mg of Pristiq for anxiety. I started 50mg of Pristiq in April 2009 and then slowly increased it to 200mg. I've been on 200mg for about 2 and half weeks now. My anxiety has gotten worse since going from 150mg to 200mg. I read somewhere that the anxiety with antidepressants gets worse before it gets better. So should I give the increased dose of 200mg more time? The only other option left is Zoloft coz I've tried most of the other AD's and none of them work. Would you think Zoloft is more effective? Anyone here had good results with it for anxiety?

Just to say the Pristiq has helped a little but I still feel really anxious and nervous. Would it be worth switching to Zoloft?

I'm sorry no one else replied. I just happened to be up late and bored and looking through older posts and saw this-- I'm not a frequent board user. Um, in my experience, Zoloft helped really well with anxiety. In fact, I found it to be more helpful for anxiety than for depression and had to add other medications for the depression piece. In general, you should give a dose change at least 4 weeks to get maximum benefit, preferably 6, unless there are unbearable side effects. So, since you posted this about a week and a half ago, I'd say you're at the 4 week mark now, if you are still on the Pristiq. What does the pdoc think about the Zoloft idea? I mean, everyone's experience is different, so I wouldn't suggest switching just because I had good results with anxiety. My main concern is that you have been on other ADs and you say none of them have worked. Which other ones have you tried? If you've tried at least two others in the SSRI class (Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Luvox), then there's a great likelihood that Zoloft may not work for you either. There's several other options, including trying a different class of ADs (like the trycyclics), a more sedating AD like Remeron, or augmenting the Pristiq (or other AD) with a benzo, an atypical AAP, or Vistaril. Also, are you in therapy?

Archived