CrazyBoards.org

Just went back to program today and saw the Nurse Practitioner (Psychiatric) there and she told me I am battling between a dx of Bipolar and Schizoaffective Disorder.

What's it all mean for me?

How can I adjust?

What's the most optimal treatment if I do happen to have Schizoaffective Disorder?

I see my pdoc Thursday. Maybe I'll have the Dx answer by then.

Thanks...

The diagnosis confusion can always throw someone for a loop a bit and feel a bit out of sorts.

It might help to keep in mind that it's not a reflection that you've changed...just that they've gotten to know you better during the course of treatment and think there might be a different flavor of MI going on. So the question of how to effectively treat it is definitely worth talking about--but if something's been helpful for you, I don't think it'll lose it's effectiveness because of a labeling change. On the other hand, if you've struggled to find things that help, it might give some new tricks or ideas.

I'm not sure how much that helps...I'm afraid that I don't know much about schizoaffective (and I think the diagnosis itself is changing shortly), but I'm sure some people on here can help with that aspect.

It's not a matter of diagnosis, I think it's more a matter of what treatment works well for you. Of course, knowing the exact diagnosis is helpful, but better to go clinical on this one. In other words, treat according to symptoms rather than labels.

There is no drug to treat schizoaffective disorder. I was diagnosed that too two years ago. My meds were the same- antipsychotics and mood stabilizers.

My diagnosis changed from bipolar to schizoaffective diorder. Mainly because I was having psychotic symptoms with no mood symptoms. When I was first diagnosed I was manic and psychotic. My biggest issue is psychosis. My psychiatrist said the treatment and prognosis is the same. They did up my anti-psychotic because I was having delusions.

It wasn't too hard for me to accept because it felt like it was the right diagnosis, but I can understand how it could be troubling. It really isn't much different from bp with psychotic features.

Archived