CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone used taurine to stabilize their mood with any success?

I've noted that these past few weeks have been the most stable I can remember. I have no depression at all, and I also have minimal to no signs of craziness (even when sleep deprived, I only have a very mild high). I am sleeping well, and I feel "normal" most of the time. I am not agitated, and I am less vulnerable to becoming crazy if I miss sleep for work.

It's actually freaking me out. I didn't even know this was possible for me. I just feel like, the same, every day for weeks... I still have emotions of course and I feel bad and good depending on whats going on, but the irrational moods are toned down.

I've not noticed any side effects other than I seem to be more tired and less motivated, but not in a depressed way, because I feel quite fine and good and I can do everything I need to do assuming I want to do it badly enough. I am sleeping much better.

I don't think this is placebo because I consumed the taurine accidentally, and the first thing I noticed was that I have been "unusually stable". Only in hindsight did I realize the greater stability seemed to correlate with the taurine use. When I was high I bought a bunch of cases of redbull, which meant I started drinking this almost daily, in place of my usual large coffee. The caffeine content is about the same (if anything, redbull is less caffeinated than a large coffee contrary to hype), but the energy drinks contain 2000 mg of taurine whereas coffee does no

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.indiana.edu/~pietsch/zoe-taurine.html

"I'd come across references to the amino acid, taurine, being useful in treating seizures in several books on epilepsy, though I had never met anyone who used it. A little more than a year ago I came across an article by a woman who had very good results stopping her convulsions using taurine. After reading her account I began a search for information about it and how it may affect seizures.

My small partial seizures I still did not have under control last year, and sometimes had several a day. The symptoms ranged from panic, to sensations of foul odors, visual disturbances, memory loss, and sickness in my gut. After reading what information was available, I began taking taurine in June. About a month later my mental state and perceptions had stabilized considerably. In August my long- standing digestive distress was easing and the frequency of seizures was much less.

By September, my seizures with the bizarre perceptual distortions had all but ceased and I was able to get my first driver's license in fifteen years. Most often taurine is used as an adjunct to medication, not a replacement in treating seizures. I found few epilepsy groups on the web are aware of how effective taurine supplementation can be or have much information about it. On the epilepsy bulletin boards I found a few others who use it, though they had little information to share. A fair amount of study on its function and usefulness has been going on for years. "

http://bipolar.about.com/od/taurine/Taurine.htm

"Taurine is an amino acid believed to play an important role in many areas of the body including the brain and nervous system. Some researchers hold that Taurine can be a beneficial dietary supplement for persons with bipolar disorder (manic depression). Found here is information and resources on this supplement to help you make an informed decision; and always consult your prescribing doctor.

Taurine is a very important amino acid involved in a large number of metabolic processes in the visual pathways, the brain and nervous system, cardiac function, and it is a conjugator of bile acids. Basically, its function is to facilitate the passage of sodium, potassium and possibly calcium and magnesium ions into and out of cells and to stabilize electrically the cell membranes."

Taurine is presently being studied in bipolar disorder, you can look it up on clinicaltrials.gov:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00217165?term=taurine&rank=3

Taurine as an Anti-Manic Agent: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study

Taurine is an amino acid that has some actions similar to mood stabilizers. Taurine is widely sold as a component of over-the-counter mood enhancing agents. However, controlled studies examining the mood effects of taurine are limited. An initial study in this laboratory looked at taurine's mood effects in individuals with bipolar disorder. This follow-up study is designed to further examine taurine's effects on manic symptoms. Subjects in the current follow-up study will add taurine or placebo to their current treatment regimen. Both depressive and manic symptoms will be tracked for three months to determine whether the addition of taurine affects mood symptoms.

A search of PubMed using keywords Taurine, Bipolar yielded 30 articles with only 1 of any relevance. The article was from 2001 with a subject of Mania causing energy drinks. ;)

The body makes taurine naturally. That's why it is important to have a good source of protein.

So, at this point there is no published scientific support for the use of taurine to treat bipolar disorder. Drinking Red Bull is essentially making very expensive urine. (and personally it smells about the same to me, ewww).

It will be interesting to see the NIMH results.

a.m.

If you search pubmed for information regarding taurine and epilepsy, there is more available - 321 hits.

If you agree that most antiepileptic interventions are also mood stabilizing (this is usually true), then you can extrapolate the findings to bipolar disorders.

There is very little research for non-drug interventions for bipolar disorder for some reason... although what research there has been with taurine for bipolar specifically has been positive. There was a preliminary study with a small group of bipolar patients at mclean hospital (harvard psych research) where supplementing with taurine caused a significant drop in mania scales. This study has lead to the larger study going on right now, still active and recruiting participants.

Yes, we synthesize all the taurine we need naturally, much in the way we naturally have a little bit of lithium in our bodies, or we naturally have a few ketones floating around in our blood regardless of diet. However, certain conditions may benefit from a HIGHER level of taurine than typical, much in the way some people may benefit from a high level of lithium (manic depression), or a high level of ketones (epilepsy). I'm not arguing that bipolar disorder (or epilepsy for that matter) is an issue of taurine deficiency, I'm arguing that consuming a high level of isolated amino acid taurine biases the amino acid profile toward taurine dominance, thereby causing changes in the stability of cell membranes (more stable) and flow of K Ca and Na so as to promote stable neruon conductivity, reducing the likelihood of going into mania, depression, or having an epileptic fit.

Prevention of epilepsy by taurine treatments in mice experimental model.

"An experimental model based on kainic acid (KA) injections replicates many phenomenological features of human temporal lobe epilepsy, the most common type of epilepsy in adults....

...Thus, a reduction in or total absence of seizures, together with a reduction in or even disappearance of cellular and molecular KA-derived effects, was detected in mice pretreated with taurine compared with those treated only with KA."

Selective resistance of taurine-fed mice to isoniazide-potentiated seizures: in vivo functional test for the activity of glutamic acid decarboxylase.

"We found that taurine-fed mice have elevated GAD expression and showed a higher threshold for seizure onset when compared with age-matched controls. Thus, taurine-fed mice have a functional increase in GAD activity which offers some protection in this seizure model. Furthermore, this pharmacological manipulation can be used to determine the level of GAD activity in other model systems that show alterations in GAD expression."

Taurine analogues; a new class of therapeutics: retrospect and prospects.

"A large number of taurine derivatives have been reported in the literature with partial to marked activity [to treat seizures]. Taurine derivatives like taltrimide, acamprosate and tauromustine, are already in the market as anti-convulsant, anti-alcoholic and anti-cancer agents."

The ketogenic diet influences the levels of excitatory and inhibitory amino acids in the CSF in children with refractory epilepsy.

The ketogenic diet (KD) is an established treatment for medically refractory pediatric epilepsy. Its anticonvulsant mechanism is still unclear. We examined the influence of the KD on the CSF levels of excitatory and inhibitory amino acids in 26 children (mean age 6.1 years) with refractory epilepsy. Seventeen amino acids were determined before and at a mean of 4 months after the start of the KD. Seizures were quantified. Highly significant changes were found in eight amino acids: increases in GABA, taurine, serine, and glycine and decreases in asparagine, alanine, tyrosine and phenylalanine.

Prevention of epileptic seizures by taurine.

"We suggest that the reduced susceptibility to KA-induced seizures in taurine-injected mice is due to an increase in GABA receptor function in the brain which increases the inhibitory drive within the limbic system. This is supported by our in vitro data obtained in primary neuronal cultures showing that taurine acts as a low affinity agonist for GABA(A) receptors, protects neurons against kainate excitotoxic insults and modulates calcium homeostasis. Therefore, taurine is potentially capable of treating seizure-associated brain damage."

Re: Energy drink induced mania... sounds farfetched.

Energy drinks are all hype, the only stimulant they contain is caffeine (same as in coffee), taurine is NOT a stimulant at all... and the caffeine content of your average energy drink is the same as the coffee you would buy at starbucks or dunkin donuts. If energy drinks cause mania, this is like saying caffeine can cause mania, which is like saying coffee can cause mania, which sounds kind of ridiculous. I agree stimulants may make mania worse, but I really find it hard to believe people are going manic drinking caffeine or coffee. More likely is that the individual was already hypomanic, working a lot/doing a lot of activities, and then started drinking lots of coffee/energy drinks to fuel the activity. Combined with the poor insight and bad judgment of a manic state, they ended up drinking tons and tons of caffeine and not sleeping making the mania much worse. Saying energy drinks can cause mania is like saying, gambling can cause mania. Reverse causality I think... If caffeine was that powerful, most bipolar people wouldn't touch the stuff, when it seems more common that most bipolar people can tolerate caffeine well.

If a mild stimulant like caffeine is so powerful as to cause mania, why are powerful stimulants like ADHD drugs given out like candy to people with bipolar disorders?

I doubt energy drinks are "good", but the point I was making is that if you replace your usual coffee with an energy drink you're getting the same caffeine PLUS a lot of taurine, which is an inhibitory amino acid noted to be antiepileptic and mood stabilizing. As I said, energy drinks are nothing but hype, they are simple caffeine in water with a bunch of useless B vitamins... although the taurine may be of value for people with mood problems or epilepsy.

Bottom line? Energy drinks are hype, they are nothing more than caffeine with some b vits and taurine. Actually I bet energy drinks are less likely to cause mania than the same caffeine content as a very large coffee, since energy drinks come with taurine which is inhibitory and antiepileptic and would actually antagonize any manic process.

I'm not arguing people drink energy drinks (if you are relatively caffeine naive, that's probably going to hype you up rather than calm you down, making any manic process worse)... and I'm not arguing that taurine is all you need... all I'm asking is if anyone has used taurine for mood stability with any success.

Regarding my own situation, for all I know this relative stability may simply be random (it has only been a few weeks).

You know what most people find most useful for mood stabilization? Mood stabilizers.

Evidence suggests taurine functions as one of those.

There is substantial research showing it is anti epileptic, and what limited research there is regarding bipolar disorder specifically supports it is an antimanic/mood stabilizer as well.

It sounds like an interesting supplement to try, though probably not one of my priorities as far as actually buying and using. I spend a lot on supplements, btw. And still take my pharmaceutical antidepressants, because there's nothing like the real thing, baby.;)

Ive read about taurine before because i find red bull much better than coffee, for increasing energy levels without needing heaps of it. And was wondering what was in it, so looked around. Taurine is pretty easy to find as a supplement, and everything i've read says its quite safe and its pretty hard to overdo it.

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?ID=1971 that site has something about anticonvulsant properties, but imho if its not a peer reviewed research paper i'm not inclined to go and spend money and change my lifestyle.

At this point, I think you should be more concerned about the *negative* effects of regular consumption of energy drinks rather than the (potentially coincidental) stablising effect its having on you.

You know what most people find most useful for mood stabilization? Mood stabilizers.

There is substantial research showing it is anti epileptic, and what limited research there is regarding bipolar disorder specifically supports it is an antimanic/mood stabilizer as well.

I did not know Taurine was a Anti-Epileptic.

B.

As far as I can tell, all of the links you've supplied deal with epilepsy. Bipolar disorder is not in fact epilepsy, so I'm unclear as to their relevance to the point you're trying to make here.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Brazil-Guy

Hi

I've been trying C vitamin (ascobic acid) for about 1 year and had surprising results

on controlling mania. After adding niacin 200mg ( 3 months ago) psychotic symptoms almost desappeared.

I will also search about taurine.

About B vitamin, caution is needed because some of them may worst mania.

Brazil-guy

I've taken taurine and have bipolar. It does help relax me though I've never tried it while manic or hypomanic. It feels a little like a mild sedative. The only problem I had with it is the same problem that I've found with other sedatives such as xanax, which is that it dumbs you down and hurts your memory a little.

Re: Energy drink induced mania... sounds farfetched.

Energy drinks are all hype, the only stimulant they contain is caffeine (same as in coffee), taurine is NOT a stimulant at all... and the caffeine content of your average energy drink is the same as the coffee you would buy at starbucks or dunkin donuts. If energy drinks cause mania, this is like saying caffeine can cause mania, which is like saying coffee can cause mania, which sounds kind of ridiculous. I agree stimulants may make mania worse, but I really find it hard to believe people are going manic drinking caffeine or coffee. More likely is that the individual was already hypomanic, working a lot/doing a lot of activities, and then started drinking lots of coffee/energy drinks to fuel the activity. Combined with the poor insight and bad judgment of a manic state, they ended up drinking tons and tons of caffeine and not sleeping making the mania much worse. Saying energy drinks can cause mania is like saying, gambling can cause mania. Reverse causality I think... If caffeine was that powerful, most bipolar people wouldn't touch the stuff, when it seems more common that most bipolar people can tolerate caffeine well.

Caffeine causes me to have hypomania and zero sleep, though of course I love the feeling. If I was wreckless enough to drink as much coffee as some people, I have no doubt that I would be manic.

I think there are a lot of people who could get by on a lot less medications if they dropped their caffeine. Anyway that's my take. Do you have bipolar or are you just going by what you have heard?

Again, Magog, could you come up with even a single piece of evidence, other than your own experience, for this idea that coffee causes hypomania? I actually think you're mislabeling the ordinary energy boost that comes with caffeine for hypomania. Maybe you should start looking up some of your terms.

Again, Magog, could you come up with even a single piece of evidence, other than your own experience, for this idea that coffee causes hypomania? I actually think you're mislabeling the ordinary energy boost that comes with caffeine for hypomania. Maybe you should start looking up some of your terms.

I can tell that you're dead set on being a pain in my ass. No I can't give you any evidence other than my experience. Is that okay? Am I allowed to do that? Why don't you tell us all exactly what causes mania and what doesn't. That way we all can judge our moods based on your criteria. It will help us determine when it's not necessary to go to the hospital. We could tell everyone that since SashaSue says caffeine can't make us manic, that it's impossible for us to be so, while we're loosing our jobs, homes and families.

No, it's not that Sasha Sue says it. It's what the research has found. And, again, I think you're mislabelling a caffeinated energy bump as hypomania.

Really? You're losing your job, home, and family because of the, "hypomania," caused by coffee. I don't actually think I believe that.

And really, again, manners. Are you this rude and obnoxious IRL? You really aren't doing a great job of advertising your semi-natural med system, as you're either kind of an ass, or less than fully stable.

No, it's not that Sasha Sue says it. It's what the research has found. And, again, I think you're mislabelling a caffeinated energy bump as hypomania.

Really? You're losing your job, home, and family because of the, "hypomania," caused by coffee. I don't actually think I believe that.

And really, again, manners. Are you this rude and obnoxious IRL? You really aren't doing a great job of advertising your semi-natural med system, as you're either kind of an ass, or less than fully stable.

All I do is make a comment anywhere and you come back with a rude reply. Yes, you're starting to bring out some frustration in me and it's starting to show up on the forum, but you've been doing this since my first post, and with every one after that, including this one, in case you don't see it.

All I do is make a comment anywhere and you come back with a rude reply. Yes, you're starting to bring out some frustration in me and it's starting to show up on the forum, but you've been doing this since my first post, and with every one after that, including this one, in case you don't see it.

Also, you have no idea at all what makes me manic and what doesn't, and I think it's competely irresponsible for you to claim that caffeine can't make anyone manic when someone who actually has the disorder says that it can with him. I don't care if you ever believe anything I say, but it pisses me off when forum moderators are allowed to pull the type of crap that you've been doing ever since I posted my first message.

One more thing, please show me this research that shows that stimulants can't induce mania!!!

Archived