Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

Pretty sweet we have an allergy forum. Anyway, for the longest time, my room was a mess... growing mold in dishes, sticky corn syrup all over the floor, couldn't see the floor and hadn't been cleaned in years.

I've also been having respiratory symptoms, and my nose has been running constantly. So, I started taking Allegra every day. Then, I added Nasonex, and it improved but was still bad. Then I was thinking prednisone and my mom suggested I just clean my room.

So, I finally cleaned my room this past Sunday! It was a LOT of work, but I'm really proud. But, stirring up everything made me horrible! The reaction was so bad I lost my voice the next day, and still can't talk right.

I think this proves that my room and the mold is to blame for it all. Oh, I also got a humidifier. But, I'm still not 100%, using the humidifier in a clean room, vacuuming often, and using Nasonex & Allegra.

Is it possible I'm still getting over Sunday's stir-up-athon? Or, am I probably allergic to something else?

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dude, a humidifier? you want to water the mold? I don't have an intense mold allergy, but I've found the drier the better...a lot of people have dust mite allergies, and when you increase humidity you make life better for your dust mites too. The only thing humidity is good for is causing particulates to be more sticky, therefore less airborne. It will increase mold and dust mites. I actually have a dehumidifier in my room.

You need two things-a vacuum cleaner with HEPA filtration(expect to pay about 60$) and a HEPA filter unit that is big enough for your room. These two items make a HUGE difference, but they will set you back considerably...the two together about two hundred dollars. Remember-you can pick the HEPA vacuum up and run it on the naked mattress. Do so.

The other things you might try is a dust mite cover for the mattress, and the same for your pillow.

If you can't afford a HEPA filter right away, you can use a cheap box fan with a filter stuck on the intake side-use a white fine-grained fiberglass filter, not one with holes you can see through. That's too coarse. Expect to either rinse out or change your fiberglass filter once a week.

If you haven't tried over-the-counter allergy meds, I've had really great results with Zyrtec. Other folks on here swear by Claritin. Do make sure you try them out, provided your doc thinks it's ok.

Congrats on the cleaning job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spray my room with Lysol regularly, which is supposed to kill mold, mildew, viruses, and bacteria. The humidifier is for my dry nose and such... don't know if all this is helping yet though. I don't seem to notice much of a difference after all that work.

I made an appointment to go to an allergist for skin testing... hopefully that will help narrow down the possibilities. Kind of freaked out because I don't exactly know what skin testing is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm...aerosols make me sick. The scent of Lysol has made my asthma worse.

They do make saltwater specifically for nasal irrigation...but you can also make your own for a lot less...

I used a Neilmed sinus rinse for awhile-and they are a really good, nonmedicine way to both moisturize the nose and clean the allergens out. I did mine morning and evening-before bed and when I got up-usually before brushing my teeth. But you can do it as much and whenever you like...even break benadryl capsules and mix the powder in the rinse if you want. I did/do that and it reduces inflammation (but might cause dryness-good for me, bad for you) I upgraded to using a water-pik up my nose-which I wouldn't necessarily recommend. It helps keep my chronic infection under better control, but it also hurts and causes some bleeding.

Skin testing is like getting bit on the arms with a very organized bunch of fire ants in my experience...but I am allergic to a LOT of stuff. Like 3/4 of stuff I was tested on. The test is more annoying than actively painful;they do not go under the skin, just pierce the surface to expose the live cells to the allergen.

Basically they stick you with tiny little amounts of potential allergens and see which swell and how much. My worst was oak and pecan...Those produced a hive that halfway wrapped my arm.

If you haven't tried it yet, Zyrtec is a really good med for a lot of allergic people...and it's OTC. I also respond well to Tavist...also OTC, and those two, I think, are less likely to aggravate the nasal dryness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...