CrazyBoards.org

SSRIs and Buspar make me more anxious

Hellos everyone. Newbie here who is having big time issues with anxiety. I've been diagnosed with GAD but it feels more like I am having an everlasting panic attack. When I'm not on meds the middle of my brain constantly feels like it has high voltage electricity flowing through it. I've tried Prozac, Paxil, Celexa and Zoloft; all of them made me more anxious. Was put on Buspar, seemed to help at first but it too ultimately made me feel more anxious. Tried Wellbutrin, but that made me feel like I was given speed while locked up in a small cell in a turkish prison that was covered in millipedes. Benzos are good but no doc wants you to be on them too long. Now I'm on Remeron and Neurontin. I can tolerate them but they make me tired and really spacey and seem to just mask the anxiety as opposed to get rid of it. Even though it is fun to be a space cadet now and then, it would be even more fun to feel normal without any anxiety. Can anyone relate to my sob story or at least point me in the right direction concerning meds. Thanks for reading.

Hey,

I have the same problem with SSRIs - I'm on Celexa at the moment, but I have to take it with Seroquel, an atypical antipsychotic which calms me down. The two of them seem to work well together, but Celexa alone would drive me up the wall. Seroquel has been my anxiety godsend.

Remeron was pretty good for me too, but I ended up coming off it.

There are some docs who will give you benzos long term, especially if you don't have addiction issues.

Anyway, I can relate to your SSRI problems. Hope you stick around ;)

Trazodone can help with anxiety too. Also beta-blockers.. I use Xanax & Nadolol to treat my anxiety. Nadolol gives me this inner calm that just makes me feel settled. The only problem with BB's is that they lower your blood pressure, so you have to be careful with the amount you take.

As for long-term benzo use.. I've been on Xanax throughout my treatment history & don't plan to ever go off it - so using it permanently is a possibility.

Hi. I have the same problems with SSRI's. They make me incredibly anxious, so much that when I was on Sertraline, after five days I thought I was going to have to be hospitalized, it was not fun.

BusPar flat out DIDN'T work for me.

I was on Neurontin for a short time and I'm not sure why p-doc dropped that one, I hardly gave it any time. Anyway, the sedation feeling does go away after a while and you won't feel much like you took anything at all. I've been on Remeron as well, which really didn't do anything for my anxiety, but it did make me super irritable.

Have you tried the SNRI's like Effexor and Cymbalta? I kinda liked Effexor, for anxious ruminations and I'm thinking about going back on it. Cymbalta doesn't help.

Now I'm on Cymbalta 60mg a day and klonopin 1mg, 3x per day. It seems like my p-doc is kind enough to let me keep my benzos if nothing else works, I've obviously tried quite a few things. Ugh. There's still more SSRI's I'm sure he can assign me that I can flip out on.

Also, AAP's like Seroquel have been found to be pretty useful for anxiety, though I hear it can be sedating as well, and if your insurance doesn't cover it (mine doesn't) you probably won't be able to afford it unless you are a millionaire or happen to have an extra 300-500 dollars a month.

Good luck, I hope something will help you.

Thanks to everyones response, very helpful. Right now I just feel like the Remeron and Neurontin are not the answers either. My pdoc said that if the Neurontin did not work out he was going to give me an AAP. I cant believe that they cost that much. Is there a cheaper way to get meds? I have no idea if my insurance covers the cost of them. I have not tried Effexor or Cymbalta yet so maybe I will give those a try. Also, as far as I know I am not BP. I don't have two poles, just one and it is anxiety riddled. It would be nice to have a temporary escape from this madness, but I would assume that what goes up must come down and that down would feel like hell. It's weird though, I do not worry or ruminate about things like the description of GAD says I should, I just have that constant high voltage feeling in my brain that makes it lock up. This website is great, glad I found it!

I think the reason my insurance didn't cover it was because I don't have a diagnosis warranting the use of an AAP. Oh, and if you go through the Astra-Zeneca(I think that's who manufactures Seroquel) website and try to get them to help you pay for it, they likely won't because you DO have insurance, or that was my experience, anyway. Maybe My insurance wouldn't cover it because I have government insurance and that shit is more expensive than cocaine! So I could see that aspect of it as well, though I REALLY wanted to try it.

FWIW, I've been on klonopin for over a year now and it really helps almost all aspects of all of my anxiety disorders. I've only had to up the dose once, I don't abuse it and never would. I know the idea is kinda scary, you know, since it's an addictive substance and everything, but if it's all that works, it's all that works. I imagine standard practice for a doctor is to go through all other options first, and once those fail, then the benzos. My p-doc has been very nicely giving me the klonopin until we find something else that works though. Yours should be giving you something besides BuSpar(which I think is a sugar pill anyway) to help with the anxiety SSRI's cause in the beginning. That's why I get the klonopin, to help me in the meantime. I may be on it long term, who knows?

I wish you very good luck and hope you find something soon, keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived