CrazyBoards.org

Weird Sleeping Issue

Ok, so I've always had trouble sleeping.

Since I was 5.. yeah 5, I've had insomnia. It'd take me 1hr to get to sleep if not more. Then the older and more stressed I got, I'd end up tossing and turning for a longer and longer period of time - and when I knew I had to work early the next day, I wouldn't get any sleep at all because of the anxiety over the fact that I really had to get some sleep. However, I'd always sleep the whole night once I got to sleep.. and given the chance, I'd go for 12-15 hrs a night (any less and I feel too tired to function - even to this day). Of course that wasn't possible with school.. so I've mostly gone through life sleep deprived.

Then I started using sleep meds; Lunesta, Sonata, Ambien. The first two became too mild to work; the latter I had to stop taking after I ended up sleep-driving right into another car (Try explaining that to a Judge! "Yeah, well see..I was asleep", "Prove it", "....") Not good.

Then at one point I went through a period where I couldn't sleep for more than 2 hrs at a time - latter found out I didn't have enough dopamine to sustain sleep & fixed it by taking L-Dopa. Problem solved.

Now I'm on Amitriptyline 100mg & Trazodone 100mg for sleep. They are excellent for my insomnia! Kick in after 30min, and I'm out. Yay!

Note: Before adding the Traz, I got a script for Rozerem.. just a melatonin med.. nothing major. But didn't really see any affect. Still, I took it with the above combo.

However, (and this is my main point) quite recently I've started to randomly wake up almost exactly 4 hrs after going to bed - like down to a min or two exactly. I take the same stuff, go to bed at different times & still have this problem anywhere from every other day, to every third one. W*F?

Recently, like 5 days ago, I stopped taking the Rozerem since I thought it could be my melatonin system acting up.. but I've yet to see a difference.

I've thought about things like snoring, sleep apnea, you name it.. but none of that makes sense because once I go back to sleep after waking up at 1 or 2 AM I sleep through the night fine & get my 12-15 hrs. If those things were going on it 1)Wouldn't happen at the same time, and 2)Would pose a problem in the second half of my sleep as well.

I'm at a complete loss.

Now, I could get back to sleep easily if I were to take some of my Xanax (since I did that once as a coincidence), but I'm stubbornly refusing to use my benzos as a sleep-aid. That would only increase my resistance quicker, and I'm against being completely dependent on them. I suppose I could try some Lunesta or Sonata.. though neither have a real Patient Assistance program & buying them directly is an issue as I have no insurance. I could *maybe* handle Sonata.. but it's also generic & I have no idea how that compares to the real thing.

Also, one night I drank a bit too much wine and decided it would be a good idea to skip the A & Traz. So, I wake up early - not uncommon with alcohol - and take my night meds then (since the wine was out of my system). Slept though the rest of the night (more than 4 hrs) just fine. So that tells me that it's probably not a half-life issue either.

So, my goal is to figure out what's going on and fix the root problem rather than just use sedatives. It smacks of something chemical rather than habitual - as in my internal clock saying "wake up" - because it happens randomly.

Thoughts? Ideas? Random unlikely possibilities?

PS: I know I should probably do a sleep-study, but it's not an option without insurance, so I'm stuck trying to figure this out alone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, I could have written a lot of that.

I have problems sleeping still, though not as severe as the ones you stated.

I found that 15mg of Remeron knocked me out like nothing else when I was taking it, it relaxed me quite enough to sleep very well. It was impossible for me to stay awake for longer than two hours after taking it. However, I'd wake up after 5 or 6 hours of sleep, but at least I felt completely well rested and energized.

I haven't tried anything else for sleep, and I know this is going to sound like a lame suggestion, but reaqlly exercise helped me.

I used to jog and do a little routine every day. I've enever been too active. but yeah, I'd run about three miles a day and that would wear me the hell out, and I never slept better than when I was doing that. The problem was getting up in the morning when I was so sore I thought I could sleep all day.

Sorry, that's all I got, but those things (remeron and running) really really helped me.

Good luck, I hate sleeping issues, they suck.

I found that 15mg of Remeron knocked me out like nothing else when I was taking it, it relaxed me quite enough to sleep very well. It was impossible for me to stay awake for longer than two hours after taking it. However, I'd wake up after 5 or 6 hours of sleep, but at least I felt completely well rested and energized.

I've been on Remeron two or three times.. can't remember. It didn't help with depression or make me at all sleepy. I did get great quality sleep on it though where I actually woke up mostly rested. Probably wouldn't help with the waking up, like you said, but it's on my checklist of future drugs to get on when I (hopefully) get stable.

I've had that happen. I'm not sure why. My pdoc thinks I might have that delayed sleep-phase issue, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Strict sleep hygiene has made it go away. Almost seven months of it. Oh, and feeling sleep deprived because I have an infant that likes to wake up at 7:00 a.m.

I take 2 mg xanax at night PRN and 20mg (yes, you read that right) of ambien and still wake up halfway through the middle of the night at least twice. I'll come downstairs, watch tv, check CB, wait to get tired, and go back to bed. I used to get really tired in the mornings, but I'm slowly getting used to it now.

Before the drugs, I used to get up more frequently. When I was on cogentin, I sleepwalked AND got up every hour on the hour. That really sucked big time.

Yeah, it's strange because I've always had trouble falling asleep.. but slept through the whole night just fine. Mostly always tired when I woke up, but that's a different issue.

I wish I knew what was waking me up so that I could fix it. I also go to bed at different times, so I'm also waking up at different times (always 4hrs in). Also, after a night of waking up.. I'm usually extra tired and end up sleeping through the night just fine; but, then of course the next night I wake up again.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Archived