CrazyBoards.org

retail therapy/spending spree

I think that most of us have done it at one time or another (or maybe more than once). When you go on a spending spree, what kind of stuff do you wind up with. After the buyer's remorse sets in and you realized that you couldn't afford the stuff, did you spend your money with nothing to show for it? Did you get a bunch of junk that you now have no need? Or do you wind up with things that if you could have afforded you would have bought anyway?

i buy stationary, like pens and paper especially. So its useful, but I don't really need it and it takes years to get through some of the stuff. I also buy clothes and in general buy multiples of things, so if i happen to be buying lollies i get 4 packets rather than 1, and 2 shirts instead of 1, really, why buy 1 when you could have many! rolleyes.gif

I have an entire craft room full of craft products that I will never or rarely use. In my "real" life I throw away things to the point that it gets me in trouble. But my craft room... I can't throw anything away.

I won't say how much I've spent on professional quality cookware. Let's just say if Williams Sonoma had a frequent shopper card, mine would be platinum.

While not a typical item, I've spent thousands of dollars on medication copays this past year. Some on medications that work, some that didn't, some for my child that work or didn't work. Although I've accepted my disease and the treatment thereof, it would be nice if I didn't have to pay a car payment in drug/pdoc/tdoc expenses each month.

Usually everything associated with that wonderful, beautiful, creative, social, fashionable side of me - clothes, art materials, books, and lots and lots of drink!

Regret comes quickly once all of those are combined!

I buy clothes, but usually very basic stuff like jeans and tshirts. And I buy a lot of nice things off eBay as well, including used jeans (after all, I work with dogs). I have bought 3 pair of Doc Marten's for less than $15 a pair. And some really nice, and dressy clothes.

I buy lots of "costume" jewelry, not fake diamonds, just pretty things, rather than glamourous.

I buy gifts for my friends for no real reason (not a holiday or birthday).

I buy shoes.

I buy "useful" handbags.

I buy "decorative" items for the house.

I also am Etsy's bitch.

The only thing I really regret is "decorative items." I always seem to buy ones that aren't returnable, too.

Since my husband has been laid-off, In October, I have managed not to buy anything, not even clothes or shoes. I did have to really fight the urge, though, and did a lot of "window shopping," and filled my wish lists. And don't tell J, but I think I have found an inexpensive gift for my best friend, that will only be a couple of weeks late, and is perfect. Plus, J loves her too.

Craft stuff.... lots and lots of it.... I hardly touch it after a few days

Random knickknacks... that I don't have room for!

BOOKS... I usually do end up reading them (at some point)... but I really don't need to buy so many! Even more so because I simply can NOT get rid of a book... EVER

Cat toys..... although my cats like new toys (some times)... when you end up with basket fulls of them... its pointless.

Notebooks.... I always end up using them at some point.. but at the same time almost never fill one before moving on to the next. (can't get rid of these either)

Food... eating out or items I really don't have the money for... so its not that I don't get good use out of them its just that the money isn't there to be doing it.

More randomness.......

Oh! Ridiculously expensive cheese. Which I eat with relish, but seriously, really, embarrassingly expensive cheese.

Dog treats (organic human grade, of course) and dog toys: the old reliables (kongs, frisbee, bully stix) plus whatever new doggie fad toy has come out. At least Violet truly does play with all of her toys. I put them in her toy box, and they miraculously end up all over the house. ;)

ooh fun thread!

• Fast food binge. Instant happiness for me.
  • High end candles - like $30 Henri Bendels and similar. They smell fabulous and they are fabulous but come on... $30 for a little candle???
  • High dollar aromatherapy oils. I warm them with a little water in burners set all over the house. Each room has a different scent at one time - I'm a big smell-good freak. But instead of dropping $10 on something 'nice,' it's $75 on 1/2oz of oil.
  • I've spent close to a grand on incense. But not the typical Nag Champa sticks. I order imported resins from all over the world. Barks, wood chips, herbs, beans, masala, etc. - I have it all. Hand dipped is crap usually. But that's for another thread lol. But the kicker is I rarely burn any of it anymore. But I must have this full collection. Maybe I'll post a picture soon.
  • Hair products. I'll drop $50 on a couple items and never use them again. Stupid.

I could go on and on. Please know that even though I have high-end tastes (other than the fast food part lol,) I cannot afford these things. But I manage to figure out a way to purchase and then suffer later. Typical bipolar behavior I suppose.

Shit, anyone game for some ebay chat? lol

I bought a car once. Usually cross stitch projects which I start and never finish. Also jewelry, that I don't wear. I even bought a dryer cleaning set. I just saw it the other day, never been opened. And, clothes. Really, one time I just picked whatever I could and spent over $200 at Target.

Archived