CrazyBoards.org

Acceptence

What is the deal with people not accepting mental illness as a true disorder.My family whom lives a couple thousand + miles away will not listen to one word dealing with bp.Like I said my family lives boucou far off and I haven't seen them in 20 years so I can cope okay with that,lots of white lies.I'm sure most of us have talked with people ignorant to the world that say things like bp,s@it that's just an accuse for bad behavior.I wonder what a good come back to that might be?I'm curious what my fellow pole dancers do to cope with this,for so long now I just ignored the insults,but as of late it's starting to gnaw at me.

My husband's family has the philosophy that all psychologists are quacks and unnecessary in the medical profession and that psychiatrists are all out to convince normal people they are crazy and steal people's money.

You can then understand the reaction my husband had when I went batshit crazy one week and needed to go see a pdoc. Then I was diagnosed with BP, and that was especially hard for him to take. But he loves me more than anything, so he put aside his feelings and eventually (as in a couple of years) learned that pdocs are real and needed.

His family, on the other hand, were completely different. I have it from a pretty reliable source that his mother tried to convince hubby to divorce me during my second phospitalization. They didn't understand and didn't care.

Then my father got cancer. I visited him less than a month before he passed. The last day before I left, I was so upset I downed about 8mg of xanax that day just to get through the day. The following morning I wasn't paying attention and blew through a red light and caused a major car accident. We're talking bloody face, ambulances, knee surgery, 14 days in the hospital for the person I hit, I'll getting sued and it's still not settled 6 months later.

My MIL's response? "She's too mentally unstable to drive. What are we going to do with her now?" Nice that she finally acknowledges I'm crazy, but still a long ways to go.

I guess this long-ass reply is meant to tell you that your relatives will either a) never get it or b) slowly come around. Hopefully it's b.

Okay, I am lucky, because my father is a p-doc. So he believes in mental illness. It took him a couple few years to admit that i was MI (I was telling him about 5 or 6 years before he agreed to my face). It took him many years more to admit the severity of it.

My mother pretends to understand, because her husband says it's so. But not only does she not get it, she herself has BPD. My p-doc, who knew her very well, told me that when I was having a very hard time with her once. So she is totally incapable of supporting me emotionally.

One of my sisters has MDD, but is stabilized with Wellbutrin alone (bitch.:) ). The other two "Wish you wouldn't bring it up, it really makes us uncomfortable, and it annoys us that you don't function as well as we do."

I am "out" in general, all my friends know, and my boss does too. Although when I had a mixed episode last April, I took a leave of absence and said it was for migraines. There is really no need to tell my manager anything specific, but that way I feel I can get away with suggesting taking 6 weeks off without raising eyebrows.

I am "out" in print, too, if you happen to read progressive Legal Journals. :) I was ego surfing Google the other night, and saw I actually have been sited in several legal notes discussing mental illness in the professions. A legal note is the equivalent of a Master's Thesis if written by a student, or alternately, is a discussion of significant aspects of law by law professors. One of the footnotes called it "powerful," which was totally a thrill.

Wait, was this about me? I forget. ;)

Anyway, so yeah, I feel like fuck it, they can accept me, or not. Whatevah, I'll do what I want!

My husband's family has the philosophy that all psychologists are quacks and unnecessary in the medical profession and that psychiatrists are all out to convince normal people they are crazy and steal people's money.

You can then understand the reaction my husband had when I went batshit crazy one week and needed to go see a pdoc. Then I was diagnosed with BP, and that was especially hard for him to take. But he loves me more than anything, so he put aside his feelings and eventually (as in a couple of years) learned that pdocs are real and needed.

His family, on the other hand, were completely different. I have it from a pretty reliable source that his mother tried to convince hubby to divorce me during my second phospitalization. They didn't understand and didn't care.

Then my father got cancer. I visited him less than a month before he passed. The last day before I left, I was so upset I downed about 8mg of xanax that day just to get through the day. The following morning I wasn't paying attention and blew through a red light and caused a major car accident. We're talking bloody face, ambulances, knee surgery, 14 days in the hospital for the person I hit, I'll getting sued and it's still not settled 6 months later.

My MIL's response? "She's too mentally unstable to drive. What are we going to do with her now?" Nice that she finally acknowledges I'm crazy, but still a long ways to go.

I guess this long-ass reply is meant to tell you that your relatives will either a) never get it or b) slowly come around. Hopefully it's b.

Thanks for sharing,my mate is very understanding as well and my 24yr old step daughter constinately is telling her mom why don't you divorce him.She has hated me since I wouldn't bail her out of jail after her 3rd dui in less than a year.My side of the family gets along fine with me I just don't bring up my bp.

Archived