CrazyBoards.org

Risperdal Dizziness

Guest Llamanator

Well, there is something I've noticed since starting this stuff. When levels peak, I get really dizzy...

And it goes away with food. And only food. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the ever-irritating "thirsty for sugar" feeling. Last time I had it this badly I was drinking tons of Gatorade and eating sugary crap for lunch from the school snack bar daily.

I decided to put this up after an episode this morning in which I had to get off my feet before I fell over. Luckily, I had just finished making "supper (4am? heh)."

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what did you do about it?

I'm afraid this means I'm going to have to choose between having an insatiable appetiete complete with dizzy spells and exhaustion or being a near-carnivore.

I so, so, so know this feeling.

Mimi

Well, there is something I've noticed since starting this stuff. When levels peak, I get really dizzy...

Didn't seem like inner ear or balance problem to me, but I was clearly unable to drive.  uncoordinated.

And it goes away with food. And only food. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the ever-irritating "thirsty for sugar" feeling. Last time I had it this badly I was drinking tons of Gatorade and eating sugary crap for lunch from the school snack bar daily.

I got, and and still get, sugar cravings or munchies on risperdal as my prn.  Mine may be mood (manic) related, I haven't  figured them out.  But roughly same behavior you described.

I decided to put this up after an episode this morning in which I had to get off my feet before I fell over. Luckily, I had just finished making "supper (4am? heh)."

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what did you do about it?

Healthier sugar sources (fruit, peanut butter, etc.) made me feel better about my teeth and prevent some sugar crashing.  But mostly I gave in, and looked at vitamins.  I'd rather get used to listening to my body say I should eat than trying to ignore it.  Especially since I have the opposite problem while depressed... that may not apply to anyone else, though.

I'm afraid this means I'm going to have to choose between having an insatiable appetiete complete with dizzy spells and exhaustion or being a near-carnivore.

near-carnivore?

curious, I'm vegan.

I was dizzy almost all the time on Risperdal. Food, no food, sleep, no sleep, whatever. Heat made it even worse. I took it in the evening, was dizzy for about 20 hours when I would start to surface -- just in time for my next dose.

That said, it worked really well as a mood stabilizer.

Guest Llamanator

Heh. Long aside on the carnivore thing...very-low-carbohydrate/ketogenic to help control insulin resistance. I'm supposed to doing it right now, actually...doc's repeated orders. Oops.

The constant thirst and sugar cravings are signs that my glucose tolerance itself (something that we've been trying to PREVENT from happening - I'm nearly doomed to be diabetic without specific dietary intervention and regular monitoring)  is being impaired. This has happened before. Also, that variety of diet is the *only* one I've found that works to prevent excessive hunger related to the thirsties. Which has happened before. It tends to be an either/or when it gets that far. Yay metabolic disorders.

That's what that's all about. I get to see whether or not I get to keep taking this stuff or not next Wednesday.

Although, a good thing: Risperdal is the SHIT for dealing with excessive auditory input. That high whiny noise TVs make doesn't drive me nuts, and neither does having two TVs on with sound coming though in two separate rooms. It's scary.

Mimi

• 2 weeks later...

(This is my first post) I take 1 mg. Risperdal once a day as an adjunct to my 20 mg. of Lexapro and .5 Klonopin BID for my GAD and OCD. I have had what I choose to call hypoglycemic symptoms before. Light-headedness, dizzy, sweaty palms, weak in the knees, etc. escpecially in hot weather. What worked was water and food, immediately. I didn't eat anything especially sugary, but I was getting tremors practically one summer day at an outside art fair and after eating some quiche and plenty of water felt better straight away. I think trying to eat small quantities several times a day helps me with this. Good Luck.

Risperdal made me dopey.  Felt really stoned at 2-3mg/day - felt "blah", braindead, slow to react to stimuli.  Also had a weird feeling in my head and a lot of EPS.  Didn't like it at all.  Stayed on it for a month then discontinued.  The first antipsychotic I was ever put on. 

Archived