CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
LA-G

Hello from LA

Hi everyone.

I was searching around for info on Pristiq and drinking alcohol and found this place. It is refreshing to find a place where we can speak honestly about what we are going through without being heckled by trolls. That is why I registered.

I grew up in Hillbilly Florida where I had undiagnosed depression until I left in 2000. As the culture of North Florida isn't very sympathetic to PSY/PSYC, I just dealt until I moved to LA. I take that back, I dealt with it by self-medicating with Marijuana constantly.

Once here, armed with good insurance, I took the plunge and met with a psychologist who identified that I was indeed suffering from depression and anxiety. We determined that a lot of my anxiety comes from the fact that I am the first member of my family to graduate college and try to navigate the minefield of "professional" employment. As I had no blueprint, no guidance from my family, this was all new to me. NOT saying what you mean, having meetings all day etc.. seemed to contradict all my previous life lessons (work hard, etc...)

Most of the time, I just feel like an impostor.

Anyway, long story short, I was put on Celexa at first. That seemed to work for a while, but then I started to slip back into my joyless, anti-social ways. I got traded out for Pristiq, which again seemed to work at first, but now, I am finding that a lot of my anxiety symptoms aren't being treated.

The biggest, is I seem to have a problem with hair pulling. Not on my head, but rather, my eyebrows and sideburns and beard (if I have one) or just my eyebrows otherwise. I am constantly pulling them out to the point that I now have bald spots on my brows.

This doesn't seem to concern my MD.

Does anyone have any opinions on:

1. White collar guilt-induced anxiety?

2. My eyebrow pulling? Anxiety? OCD?

Thanks and again, hello.

=LA-G

We determined that a lot of my anxiety comes from the fact that I am the first member of my family to graduate college and try to navigate the minefield of "professional" employment. As I had no blueprint, no guidance from my family, this was all new to me. NOT saying what you mean, having meetings all day etc.. seemed to contradict all my previous life lessons (work hard, etc...)

uhuh, these ppl shower daily among other other things ;)

Welcome to the boards

Hey! Welcome to CB! I can seem chipper for a moment to tell you you've foud the right place!

I don't pull hair, I pick at my skin a lot though, I think it's somewhat similar, but I don't know. some kind of OCD thing, I think.

White collar?!?! HA! I'm dealing with stay at home mom anxiety. Not quite the same thing, but I feel a shit ton of pressure to get it PERFECTLY right, that's for sure, so I relate a little. Guilt, check, yes yes yes.

Sorry, I'm not at the sanest I've ever been (mood episode/ moderate-severe depression right now) so I wish I could answer better.

HOWEVER, I am happy to see you here and would like for you to stick around.

I think there are afew members here that suffer from trichotillomania sp?(hair pulling, you probably already knew that) so, check out that thread in the OCD forum, feel free to ressurect it if you ahve questions, hopefully someone can help you with it.

Welcome welcome welcome.

Edited by THE EMPEROR

Welcome to our happy asylum. We have something in common: I was the first person in my family to graduate from college, too.

Look around and feel free to post in any of the forums that seem to be applicable. I hope we can provide some support to you. The moderators and administrators here all have some form of MI, so we understand what you're going through. Please PM one of us if you have a concern.

olga

Thanks for the warm welcome. As mentioned, it is nice to have a place like this apparently free of the "get over it! kill yourself already!" flames that people who don't understand mental health issues tend to post.

To clarify a little bit, I know that saying that a lot of my anxiety came from being the first in my family to graduate college and that might seem odd. To dig deeper, My father was a man's man kind of guy. He internalized everything and thought that anything other than a backbreaking physical job that left you exhausted was "pansy work."

Long story short, my issues run a little deeper than just "I went to college, wah wah wah.."

As my therapist told me, people from middle class families are EXPECTED to go to college and are reared from a very young age to know this direction. Their kids are pushed to do better, get good grades etc.. so they can go to the same schools their folks did. Basically, the kids are given a roadmap to their future, with best wishes from their families.

My roadmap was, "you've graduated high school, now go get a job." This is what I did, unhappily until I was 35, quit my job and returned to school. I naively thought a degree would "fix" me. All it really did was open my eyes to how freaking powerless the working class really is.

Anyway, enough about that. I just wanted to go a little deeper on that so it didn't sound like I was all crying the blues because of "school." It's a little more than that.. ;)

"... As the culture of North Florida isn't very sympathetic to PSY/PSYC..."

I disagree. I think the "culture" of a lot of N. Florida is too sympathetic. So much so that they think they're normal! ;)

Glad you escaped. (Escape to LA? That sounds familiar.)

I don't think it's quite the "middle class" vs "working class". I think it's just what your posts say. There are different cultural expectations and you weren't prepared for them. Some people can slide from one "culture" to another easily. Others might be more rigid.

Many in the "middle class" have issues as well.

I think it's hard to know if or how to let go of what feel like core beliefs and accept a different perspective.

Good luck and welcome.