CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  

Hi all,

Reading a recent post and its subsequent replies inspired me to create a new thread. As someone who is currently being treated for depression (Pristiq) AND happens to own a handgun, I wonder is this just stupid?

I've owned my gun a lot longer than I've been taking meds. I only bought my gun after I got held up at gunpoint and had my car and wallet stolen from me. I was freaked out that they had my keys and my address and felt vulnerable. I got the gun to feel a little empowered as well as protection should the scumbags who held me up decided to pay me another visit.

Anyway, that was like 20 years ago.

Although I HAVE thought of not being here, I don't know that they are "suicidal" thoughts. I mean, I have a loving wife and all, so I could never harm myself and do that to her. So basically, even though I have thought about selling the gun, I don't really feel it's a danger to me at all.

What do you think?

Pdocs both competent and not have asked me to surrender my guns . it's their duty when treating a patient that considers suicide and option because it plays all day in their minds .

although i am no longer ruminating about ending my life, suicide may have utility somewhere down the line . thus these weapons are still in my possession . the arguments against suicide are familiar to me . if i had loved ones that it would impact severely that would deter me to a great degree. but that is not the case and i have no one depending on me .

there is not much of anything that i get pleasure from so i am ready to go at anytime, just not so miserable as to DIY.

The thing about depression is that sometimes it can turn bad quickly even if it hasn't before. Once it's going down that course, you may not be in the frame of mind to sell the weapons or to hand them over to another. If you are keeping them, then have a plan. Have a person who you can give them to BEFORE you think the depression is bad. Seriously. It needs to be before suicidal thoughts are there, and that is a really difficult thing to time. Personally, I'd get rid of the guns. It's just easier that way.

Edited by Stacia

There is nothing wrong with having guns, for the average person.

The problem comes with have a bent brain.

Statistally, it is a bad bet to have guns and be depressed.

Suggestions for gun safety (may overlap or be contradictor):

-Sell or give your guns away

-Give them to a friend or relative for safe keeping

-Get rid of the ammo (yes, even throw in the trash if necessary)

-Put trigger locks on the guns and give the keys to a friend or relative

-Put your guns in a storage facility that can't be easily accessed

My pdoc and I had a go-round about this last month.

a.m.

A few thoughts on various points brought up on this thread:

1) I own firearms. I also keep them in secure safes. When I've been in a dangerous mental state, the keys have been given to trusted friends/family. Yes, I suppose that if I became suicidal so rapidly that I didn't have the opportunity to pass off the keys, that wouldn't work. I could also go purchase a firearm, in that case. Its still a safety precaution.

2) People do survive gunshot wounds to the head. More often than you'd think. And its not a pretty way to live. Some end up paralyzed and/or brain dead.

3) Regardless of whether you have loved ones in your life, some 21 year old, brand-spankin' new Patrolman is going to be sent to stand over your dead body while the scene is processed. You may not have known him, but that image will never leave him, and may send him well on the way to a lifetime of mental illness himself.

There is no such thing as a suicide that doesn't damage the lives of others. Someone always has to find the body.

Edited by mudpuppy

Interesting comments, thanks!

As I said, I've owned my gun longer than I've been taking meds, so I am inclined to keep it for the right reasons. I was just curious what others on this board thought.

Before I was a depressed loser I was a MAN, Damnit!!! ;)

Some really great responses I must say.

Well you may have seen my post about my SO and the gun and what not.

IMO no it is not a good idea to have guns around when depressed. But in my situation I feel safer with the guns and I was able to take control of my situation. I have a safe for the ammo and a safe for the guns. My SO can get the ammo (he has the combination) but I have the guns in a safe that he does not have the key or the combination to, only me, his mom and his uncle have this stuff well his mom doesnt have a key, but I figured it is better that some one know who can take control of a situation and/or get into the safe if needed.

Maybe you should lock it up for now and give your wife the key and another close friend, tell your wife to hide this key will you will never find it or even look to find it (this is what I did) that way you are safer but you still have means of getting the gun if you need to. Or sell the gun and opt for a taser gun (I really want one lol) it is non lethal but if you got an SOB with that they are down.

My thoughts...I dont know how helpful they are but I figured my two cents might be worth something. ;)

Guns? I'm a big fan of keeping them in safes. It just seems sensible to me in general and if the reason you're keeping it in the house is for protection - you should be keeping it somewhere that if a scumbag ever get into your house - the scumbag couldn't easily access the weapon.

I hold that opinion for both crazy and not crazy people though.

~ May

I couldn't agree more about keeping guns in safes. We were burglarized when we lived in DC and the burglars didn't take our guns which were just hidden and not in a safe. First thing the cop asked was, "were there any firearms?" We went out and got a safe pretty quickly.

Tommy

Interesting comments, thanks!

As I said, I've owned my gun longer than I've been taking meds, so I am inclined to keep it for the right reasons. I was just curious what others on this board thought.

Before I was a depressed loser I was a MAN, Damnit!!! smile.gif

Hi. You aren't a looser. You are still a man. Depression doesn't mean you are a wimp or less than a man. It means you are struggling with a very difficult physiological problem, one that actually takes great strength and courage. Don't sell yourself short, okay. It's a difficult illness.

Either two things are happening, at least so it seems. One is that you alone feel so down on yourself while others continue to hold you in high esteem. This is a common symptom of depression - I suck, I [insert all types of negativity], but you carry on well enough with the day to day that no one else really notices. Depending how bad the "I suck" feelings are, it may be time to have someone else hold the fire arms. When you have thoughts of suicide whether or not you think you'll act on them, it is time. Then there is when you've progressed enough for others to see that something is wrong, that you are off your game, become concerned, whatever. The second instance is when it is definitely time to take the guns out of your easy access. Many have made good suggestions. If you are in these places, please consider one of them.

When I was suicidal, I decided that if I were to kill myself it would be with a gun. I don't own a gun, so figured the act of having to go out and get one would be what would buy me the time to reconsider. That and the fact that my spouse HATES guns, and if I brought one into the house I'd have to really make sure I was dead or he'd kill me (that's a joke, okay people?).

I grew up with them in the house because I grew up in a rural area where everyone, and I mean everyone, had rifles for hunting. So rifles used in sport I suppose feel different for me. Rifles are a part of rural life where young people are brought up to respect them, are taught how to use them and not shoot themselves or someone else during doe season and all that. But a pistol really only has one purpose, to sit around and maybe end up being used to shoot a person someday. And very few people that own pistols have made sure that they and everyone in their family is properly trained to respect and use the gun. Like, how to check to make sure the safety is ON and that there are no bullets loaded, including the one hiding in the chamber (depending on model). My opinion is that unless you have the gun for a hobbyist's or collector's reason AND this reason is the only pleasure you get from life, get rid of it. Guns get stolen, found by the neighbors kids, go off 'unpredictably' for novices, and all the rest.

I just don't advocate us depressed folks having something like that around. Even non-MI people can't guarantee they have the impulse control needed to ensure something stupid does not happen to themselves or others with such a powerful item easily available for use.

Here is another line of thought that might shift your perspective, or not. Some people say "well, the gun is only dangerous to me, since I'm the depressed person and I'd only use it on myself." Ignoring the points above about the gun getting stolen or found by prying kids, a depressed person is a desperate person. Police are very, very wary of a person holding a gun, even if that person says they are "only" planning to use it on themselves. Depressed people sometimes shoot other people before turning the gun on themselves. Especially family and friends. It does not happen most of the time, but it does happen. Sometimes being "caught" with the gun in hand is enough to push a depressed person into feeling trapped, and suddenly the gun becomes a way to threaten others to back away. There is no getting around the fact that suicide is a VIOLENT impulse. We don't think of ourselves as violent people, we are lonely and sad and in terrible pain and can't hardly lift a finger let alone leave the house. But we contemplate this violent act of self harm called suicide. Violence to self can be mutated into violence to others, depending on circumstances, temperament, and all the rest.

Again, I'd say get rid of it. If you get to the point where you are MI free for a long time, you can always buy a new one if it is important to you.

My two cents.

Blue Morpho

Hi all,

Reading a recent post and its subsequent replies inspired me to create a new thread. As someone who is currently being treated for depression (Pristiq) AND happens to own a handgun, I wonder is this just stupid?

If you really have reason to believe you cannot be trusted not kill yourself or someone else, or that you are in danger of getting to that point - surrender custody to a competent and trustworthy person (or head to the hospital already, whichever can be arranged in the time remaining)

If you really are suicidal, not having a handgun around is not going to save you.

I've owned my gun a lot longer than I've been taking meds. I only bought my gun after I got held up at gunpoint and had my car and wallet stolen from me. I was freaked out that they had my keys and my address and felt vulnerable. I got the gun to feel a little empowered as well as protection should the scumbags who held me up decided to pay me another visit.

Do you maintain the handgun in a safe location (w/r family and underage guests)?

Is it in good working condition?

If you are in the situation you bought the handgun for, can you use it and WILL you use it?

If the answer to any of the above is "no" - It doesn't matter whether you're crazy or not, replace the handgun with something more practical.

I don't trust myself around knives. Never mind guns. I would most likely go psychotic and shoot myself.

My husband and I own several guns - 3 handguns, an antique Winchester 3030, an AK47, and an AR10 and an upper for an AR15. Sounds crazy, but we just like to be safe in case the government decides to take away the right to purchase arms. When I started having suicidal thoughts, my husband took all the firing mechanisms out of the guns. He didn't tell me when he did it. I never had thoughts of shooting myself and never even considered suicide despite all those thoughts, but since I have having those thoughts, it was best to be cautious about the guns. He just told me a couple days ago that he took all out the firing mechanisms. He asked me to let him know when I was feeling well and he would reassemble them.

Edited by iguanita

My going Postal remark,not a glib response,

It was a the result of a hostile work environment,

I never threatened to do it.

When my back gave up on me,for all those

900 lb rolls of paper,I loaded on the press,

8 station,4 color open web press,

I got retrained to make press plates (photo-reactive polymer)

and proofing jobs for the customer's OK,

All the technical guys were from

SF or Southern Cal,they treated me like a trained bear,

Like I was going to destroy all that sensitive equipt.

Oneday,I had picked up a new pistol,

brought it into the dept to lock it up,

a .41 magnum,

Desert Eagle,a huge handgun,

when they knew I shot for a hobby,

the remarks to me started,

after about a fucking year of this,

I told them how it would go,

who was first etc.

They shut up,but the hostility remained,

for 3 more years,loved my job,

despised my co-workers.

the company

faded after the owner wanted to play vintner in Napa Valley.

Going postal,is a grim thought,

I would rather not shoot at cops either

they might not kill me,

prison would...

Humboldt

I think it's really up to you. I own a lot of guns, and when things got bad I went and turned every gun I own that i'd kill myself with to my father to keep. When I started to feel better I started slowly taking them back.

Only you can be the judge of you. If you don't feel safe with it, get rid of it, even if it's on a temp basis.

I've thought of killin myself many times over the years, but when it really came time to judge I got rid of them out of fear. I hope you can find the middle lane to get where you're needing to go