CrazyBoards.org

Artsy, fartsy, and batshit crazy

Do you use parentheses, brackets, dashes, hyphens, semicolons, etc. more than your MB (mentally boring) friends?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use parentheses, brackets, dashes, hyphens, semicolons, etc. more than your MB (mentally boring) friends?

• yes
    • no

I'm not sure where this should be posted, although I suspect that this is not the right place.  Mods, feel free to move it, but if you do, could you then tell me where it is?  The last time someone moved my post, it took me forever to find it!

I'm a musician with MDD and dysthymia.  A lot of my musician friends have issues with depression, anxiety, etc.  I think that MI often affects musicians/actors/artists/writers/whatever in different ways than people in other fields.  We really have to open up our souls in order to sing/play/compose/act/paint/sculpt/write well.  (I will eventually come up with a way to say that with fewer words...)

I don't know how many such people are on this Forum, but I thought it would be good if we could share stories and stuff.  Maybe we could start an obnoxiously long thread and the powers that be would let us have our own place...  [plots world domination...] ;)

So, if you feel my pain, write about it.  I'll put my story here as well, but it'll take me a while to write it.  Until then, you can read my nutso thread on The Springer Board.

~CS

Oh, and if there's already something like this, please tell me where it is.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you will notice that I totally overuse parentheses, brackets, elipses (...), dashes, and the little star thingies.

~CS

Here's a poem about those star thingies. I don't know the author:

Little Mary donned her skates

upon the ice to frisk

wasn't she a foolish thing

her little *

Didn't mean to change your topic there, Crazy. Just could not resist.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed a lot about parentheses in this thread, and had to contribute because I have a chronic case of what Samuel Taylor Coleridge called "parenthesophilia" (easily the most easily satisfiable of the paraphilias).

Do MI people really like parentheses more? 

I write. Ever since I was a wee one Ive been able to see stories in my mind. I am a VERY amature photographer and would love to play music or do something pretty like ink painting, but I HATE being the beginner and I have no patience, sadly.

I'm starting to get the stories back, praise be, but now I have to question whether I'm having a happy story session in my head or hallucinating LOL!

I'm also a lover of language, and ghost several neolinguistics pages. My spelling in English is horrible anymore but before my fall from sanity and grace, I was on the edge of having several of my works published. Though I write in a number of genres, both fiction and non, I love seriel style or comic book fiction.  Hopefully I will get it back and be able to see some of my tales in print one day.

pacanuck~ what's your instrument?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I play french horn...still do but am trying to get up the nerve to join the Butler symphony (a community orchestra here in Western PA) I may be able to do it soon....hopefully....

It still amazes me at the stuff I used to be able to do....I mean, was that really me?  Or an imposter?  Or a stronger version?  Or maybe just someone not so tired of pretending everything was OK and tried harder to stay with the program.  Yes, my money is on the last one.

"Edited because pacanuck posted while I was writing this post."

lol...was cute....

Hmmm. Played guitar for 20 years now, love to draw, apparently talented as a drafter, and I have a lot of story ideas but I find it hard to wrangle words onto the page. Oh and there's the book I'm working on about the fallacy of mental illness being an individual phenomenon. Also, I'm nuts.

There appears, in my life at least, to be a direct link between ow *active* my mind is in daily life and how creative I am, with a pretty high correlation between "abnormal" states and more creative output. Probably the two times my mind is most active are when I'm [hypo]manic with or without depression and when I'm actually happy, though the latter has been not too often over the years. Plus usually when I'm actually happy I don't have as much time to play/draw/create.

I went on Strattera briefly recently, and whether it was helping my mind organize or not I'm not sure, but after only a week I noticed that I was so far from creative that I was boring the hell out of myself. I hung out with a friend who I can talk to about such things and he even commented that it was highlighting how boring he must be, because there was like no conversation about anything. So I went off it.

Since I last played in a "band" (worst musicians I ever played with, but they had a jam space near where I lived), I've not done anything productive with my music, though recently I've been meeting a few musicians again and got to fulfill (sort of) a life long dream of playing in Harvard Square (for 10 minutes).

(parentheses.)

I am a wannabe painter.  Make my living in IT, but I wish I could live off my artistic talents ( Or at least convince other people that I have artistic talents and they should let me live off them) ((Could have made that a separate sentence, but what would be the fun in that?)) .

Most of my output is when I am manic or mixed.  Kind of hard to paint when you are depressed as fuck and don't care about anything.  When I am normal, which ain't often (should have used parentheses), I don't really feel like painting and if I do it sucks more than normal.

I'm artsy fartsy as hell! Heh. I've been drawing and painting and making little people out of clay since i had the motor function capabilities to do so. If yez wanna see my art stuffs:

I also play guitar, write stuffs, and generally do all the crap that brilliant creative folks do. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love parentheses and I am also artsy, although I don't have the artsy "look".  I look more like a soccer momthan an "artiste".....  I love painting, drawing, woodworking, fabric arts, paper art, most anything that I can do using my hands.  I have NO musical talent although I love to sing along with the radio (my poor kids...). :)  

I have things to say to everyone who posted, so I'll do a little play-by-play (the only time you'll ever see me use a sports metaphor...):

Space~ Being a philosopher definitely counts.  You've studied history of philosophy, right?  Can you name a single philosopher who was sane?

Ape~ Here's me reading your post: ;)

take one: huh?  I don't get it...

take two: wait, it doesn't rhyme...

take three: ooooooooh!  Hahahahahaha!

<e-mails poem to everyone she knows>

You can interrupt my thread any time you want!

Syncope~

Do MI people really like parentheses more?
See poll at the top.  I hope lots of people vote, so tell all your crazy friends!

Panz~ (is that like "pansy"?)

now I have to question whether I'm having a happy story session in my head or hallucinating LOL!
I guess that goes along with the saying "truth is stranger than fiction"!

Pacanuck~ My roommate from undergrad is from Butler!  Such a small world of crazies...  I love the French horn.  It has such a beautiful sound, and you guys get the best jokes.

What's the difference between a French horn player and a seamstress?

The seamstress tucks up the frills.

Jemini~

Oh and there's the book I'm working on about the fallacy of mental illness being an individual phenomenon.
That definitely sounds cool.  But...what do you mean, exactly?  Sorry, my brain has ceased to function correctly.

SnaiLove~ I love your work!  Everyone, go check out SnaiLove's art!

anotherBP~ You can't be artsy fartsy without being fartsy.

Synthetic~

Most of my output is when I am manic or mixed.  Kind of hard to paint when you are depressed as fuck and don't care about anything.  When I am normal, which ain't often (should have used parentheses), I don't really feel like painting and if I do it sucks more than normal.
See, this is part of my theory.  I think our craziness is part of what makes us good at what we do.

NYPaintLady~ My mom does counted cross-stitch.  You should see her pieces.  They look like paintings!

sun_zoom_spark~ I feel like I must be cheating when I get paid to sing.  It's way too much fun to qualify as work.

I'm going to start another thread about how crazymeds affect our creativity.  They might move it to one of the side effects forums, but I hope it stays here so these threads can be together.

Thanks for responding!

~CS

I've got two novels and eleven children's picture books published, one of which I illustrated.  I do my most prolific writing when I'm in the throes of angst down here in the Abyss.  I'm currently painting a wardrobe with a French-inspired Art Nouveau image.  I think it's going to be lovely.  I also play lap and hammered dulcimers, fife, bodhr

i play violin, my thing at the moment is irish music, because you just play as fast as you possibly can and dash technique. i want to learn to play the piano accordion.

i write short stories, i have a stack of unfinished novels, some of them partly burned, some of them covered in self-deprecating red pen...

i make my own clothes when i can.

all of it has taken a massive kick in the pants with my depression. my normal kind of "walking wounded" depression is fine because it keeps me away from other people and leaves plenty of time for perfectionist devotion to my creative side. but paralytic, mute depression has a lot to answer for, even when it's over it takes a long time to get back out of survival mode and take tentative steps towards making beautiful things again. my latest thing is to combine my love of adventure sports (ie:risking one's life), with art, i'm thinking maybe trapeze/aerial art, that way i can get my depression-curing adrenaline kicks and wear a funky leotard at the same time...

my latest thing is to combine my love of adventure sports (ie:risking one's life), with art, i'm thinking maybe trapeze/aerial art, that way i can get my depression-curing adrenaline kicks and wear a funky leotard at the same time...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's fabulous.  Especially the funky leotard part.

I find it highly entertaining that everyone who has voted in the poll has said that they make more use of exciting punctuation than their MB friends.  By the way, Mentally Boring is my new term.  I think it's a pretty cool one, especially since it's my first contribution to CB lingo.

I have lots of artsy fartsy stuff to report, but I'm going to post it in my thread on the Springer Board.

Goodnight everyone!

~CS

Archived