CrazyBoards.org

Hurricane Katrina

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent last night watching the satellite imagery and wincing. Hoping it would make a 1000-to-1 radical turn west and leave New Orleans unscathed. No dice.

Apprently windows started blowing out in the french quarter just before dawn.

All that history....

All those graveyards....

The worst is, its the poor and the elderly, the people who can afford the destruction least that get it worst.

And I'll bet Anne Rice is unscathed. Drat. If anyone deserves to be sucked into the storm surge its HER.

It's terribly devastating, but I read this quote and laughed out loud:

"I could have stayed at home and watched my roof blow off," said one of the refugees, Harald Johnson, 43. "Instead, I came down here and watched the Superdome roof blow off. It's no big deal; getting wet is not like dying."

Right, buddy, the freaking Superdome roof IS BLOWING OFF!! and "it's no big deal."  Might as well of stayed home and watched it on t.v. .....

I think that both my sons will be deployed to New Orleans. They are both in Coast Guard in Port Author, TX.

What a mess they have in NO. I was in the great flood of 93 in Missouri and I know first hand what it does to your life.

Pray for them

I heard on news today that something like 4000 oil platforms are out of commission- speculators have driven the price of gas up- forecasting $3.00 per. Time to start riding Motorcycle

I heard on news today that something like 4000 oil platforms are out of commission- speculators have driven the price of gas up- forecasting $3.00 per. Time to start riding Motorcycle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gas was $3.15 per gallon for regular unleaded here today...  Diesel is also way up.  My hubby has 3 tow trucks and he figured today that he will be paying an average of $1.00 extra for fuel for each tow job he runs.  That equals around $20 per tank of fuel.  Even with the release of the oil reserves, we're still going to see high fuel prices for a long time.

Gas in PA went up to 2.79 - 2.99 in some places.  Katrina is just an excuse for the government to raise these bloody gas prices up once again.  I'm NOT proud to be an American.  Bush can suck my big  fuckin' toe!  Why raise gas prices when we should be doing something to help those in need!?!?

One of my favorite author's, Poppy Z. Brite, lives in New Orleans.  Hope she got out of there with her family.  As for Anne Rice, I may not read her books, but I wouldn't wish this on her either.  She's just as human as we are.

As for those who got hit by Katrina, besides us in PA who got hit with her as a Tropical Storm, we're thinking about you.

Elizabeth

Gas in PA went up to 2.79 - 2.99 in some places.  Katrina is just an excuse for the government to raise these bloody gas prices up once again.  I'm NOT proud to be an American.  Bush can suck my big  fuckin' toe!  Why raise gas prices when we should be doing something to help those in need!?!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Elizabeth, the hurricane destroyed several oil rigs which drill for the oil that eventually becomes gasoline.  The rigs produced anywhere from 80,000 to 200,000 barrels of oil per day.  They are now not being produced so there are that many fewer barrels of oil that can be produced into gasoline.

Furthermore, the hurricane also damaged several refineries where the oil becomes gasoline.  So the oil that was there cannot be made into gasoline because the refineries are damaged.  There's more gasoline not being produced.

It's not anything to do with the government.  It's all to do with supply and demand.  The supply is very low and the demand is very high, which drives up prices. 

No one is entitled to cheap or free gas.  Think about how much you pay for a bottle of water or a latte.  And if that doesn't help you, think about how Scotland was paying $6.65/gallon for gas last month.  Imagine what they're paying now.

It's not anything to do with the government. 

my reply actually has nothing to do with gas prices (we've been paying over $3/gallon here for a long time now and i couldn't care less with all the horrendous tragedy occurring) i just don't understand why the national guard is was deployed to iraq instead of still home helping the unimagineable nightmare in the very places they were deployed from. and i'm not gonna debate it, and it's probably "not fair" for me to drop a line like this and leave, but our resources should be to give water, medicine, food and shelter, not.....well, i'm sorry, i have to go.    weeping.    anger. travesty.

It's not anything to do with the government. 

my reply actually has nothing to do with gas prices (we've been paying over $3/gallon here for a long time now and i couldn't care less with all the horrendous tragedy occurring) i just don't understand why the national guard is was deployed to iraq instead of still home helping the unimagineable nightmare in the very places they were deployed from. and i'm not gonna debate it, and it's probably "not fair" for me to drop a line like this and leave, but our resources should be to give water, medicine, food and shelter, not.....well, i'm sorry, i have to go.    weeping.    anger. travesty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel the same way.  What the hell!?  The news said something about it'll take two weeks for help to get down there.  This is just unreal.  Those people down there need help NOW, not in two weeks.  Screw the gas prices, actually.  I don't care now either.  I want help to get down there to the South now.

I spent the majority of my session with my therapist tonight weeping because I feel so freakin' useless.  We can't get out to NOLA to pick people up--they aren't letting cars through, and yes, I understand why.  I'd gladly pay $10 per gallon if it were just a matter of driving out there and shuttling people back to safety.  I'm not the praying type but I don't know that there's anything else that I can really do at this point but pray.

I spent the majority of my session with my therapist tonight weeping because I feel so freakin' useless.  We can't get out to NOLA to pick people up--they aren't letting cars through, and yes, I understand why.  I'd gladly pay $10 per gallon if it were just a matter of driving out there and shuttling people back to safety.  I'm not the praying type but I don't know that there's anything else that I can really do at this point but pray.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually cried during the news tonight because I felt useless too, Sarahnoid.  All I know is I can donate a little money and some items for those poor people down there.  But will it get to them in time?  And those poor babies and children and the elderly.  And God, just everyone!  And those who had to leave their pets behind!  I'm actually crying now.  It just sickens my soul to know I can't do more for them.  This is just tragic and believe me, I'm praying for all of them.  My dad made a joke about something horrible tonight, which I don't care to repeat and I ripped him a new arsehole yelling at him.  He just stood there and stared.  Racial comments don't go well with me.  Basically, he said he just wanted to see my reaction and that he was just kidding around with me.  I said, those people down there need help and talking like that isn't helping them.  When we watched the news, he calmly said to me, I'm sorry for saying what I said earlier.  I said, thank you.  He was born during the time when racisim was a big thing.  His parents were horrible and I'm not proud of my grandparents on that side of the family.  Anyway, after we watched the news, he said if he weren't 74 and falling apart at the seams so to speak, he would go down there and help those people out.  I smiled through tears and said, just pray for them, Dad.  They need God's help now.  And this is coming from a woman who is both a Wiccan and Christian.

i just wanted to thank those who feel so deeply, those who shared or those who didn't/couldn't.

i guess it's natural to feel most for the innocent and helpless. the pet stories somehow get me the most. i nightmared it all (since before katrina hit) and have spent some awake time weeping with you. i made my donation and wish i could do anything else from here but pray.

love to all.

my company is offering to match employee donations to the Red Cross dollar for dollar.

they have also offered $1500.00 tax-free to employees who are without a home or have sustained material losses; they have negotiated short term housing rates for employees and are coordinating efforts between employees who have homes and are offering shelter to those without homes.

finally, they have stated that paychecks will keep coming.  anyone who is unable to go to work, or doesn't have a workplace.....will still get their paycheck.  so far, they haven't tried to insist that employees use up their sick or vacation time, either.  it's just basically been "you'll still get your paycheck just like if you had gone in to work".

they're even working with banks in the neighboring states to set up an agreement that allows employees to use ATMs from other banks without fees.

i'm proud of my company.  i can't believe the way they are stepping up to the plate and taking care of their own.  i used to be ashamed of my company; now i'm impressed.

i mean, getting a paycheck even though you can't go to work?

That is awesome reddog. Lots of companies are stepping up in the same way. I'm so proud. See, corporate america can have a heart when it really wants to.

For those of you that asked, I believe that the American Red Cross is the best place to send donations for the time being. They are able to use that money to get medicines and such to people that need it. Here locally, it is easier for us to sent the tangible items such as blankets, hygiene products, food, water, ice, etc.. because we can quickly get it to the evacuees. It takes much longer for those items to get to folks if they were coming from across the country. So monetary donations are better if you're not local. (Did that make any sense? I hope that came out right.)

Thanks for all ya'lls thoughts and prayers.

Croix

(BR, La)

the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) has set up a Hurricane Katrina relief fund

they have a detailed page on options and resources for those affected by the hurricane with MI http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=H...26242&lstid=566

for donations: (quoted from webpage above)

To aid victims of Hurricane Katrina with serious mental illnesses and their families, NAMI has established the NAMI Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund. To make donations to this fund, visit http://www.nami.org/donate Please use the General Donation link and enter "For NAMI Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund" in the comment field.

Additionally, NAMI has set up an account with Wachovia Bank to receive donations under the NAMI Katrina Hurricane Relief Fund. You can donate at any Wachovia Bank branch to account number 2000024603407. People can locate the nearest Wachovia location by visiting their Web site at: http://www.wachovia.com/

Archived