CrazyBoards.org

Catamenial Epilepsy

So last month, when my period turned up, I had a rotten huge bone breaking siezure.

My period is due any day now. But I haven't had any episodes since I broke off my engagement with my ex and told him to come back when he figured out what gender he wanted to be. Not even a deja vu or anything. (remove major stress = fewer siezures, duh)

So if I get slammed in the next couple days? I'll consider it causative.

Meanwhile. I'm wondering if I should sleep in diapers or something. Yeck. Do they have adult versions of "Pull Ups?" Better than covering the bed with a tarp.

So last month, when my period turned up, I had a rotten huge bone breaking siezure.

My period is due any day now. But I haven't had any episodes since I broke off my engagement with my ex and told him to come back when he figured out what gender he wanted to be. Not even a deja vu or anything. (remove major stress = fewer siezures, duh)

So if I get slammed in the next couple days? I'll consider it causative.

Meanwhile. I'm wondering if I should sleep in diapers or something. Yeck. Do they have adult versions of "Pull Ups?" Better than covering the bed with a tarp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Along with having the JME thing going here, my seizures seem to be more apparent around that time of the month, when Im stressed out, ussually about a day or 2 AFTER my period is done...but right at that time...thats when I get the tonic clonics anyway, the scary ones that make feel like Im in a sequel to Jacob's Ladder. I am terrofied of my period. Every month, I hate waking up in the morning, (because with JME, the myoclonics start in the morning, and then they turn into the tonic clonic), essp. if I am going to be alone...so I have been trying to cut down on stress, and taking my vitamins...and may be starting on the Deppro provera shot, as I have done some research that it can absolutely help with catamenial seizures...buuuut...(and theres always a but), all the googleing Ive done says "if youve had a history of depression discuss with your doctor before starting on deppro" so I have a doctors appt. on the 13th and I'll see what she thinks...as I do have a long standing history of depression, although, I tend to be a little more moody around that time of the month, I dont see how the shot would cause depression, if it would eliminate ovulation, and seizures, wouldnt that help depression?

I dont see how the shot would cause depression, if it would eliminate ovulation, and seizures, wouldnt that help depression?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lisa,

I have alternating doozy periods that are accompanied by beat me up and leave me flat migraine-neuro-nightmare-head-pain-weirdness.  ie: They don't fit the pattern of a standard (or non-standard) migraine, they don't respond to Topamax, Depakote, or any migraine med (Relpax, Imitrex, etc.), they mostly come the day before or day of my period, but often are bi-monthly, and definitely have destinct auras of smell enhancement and noise problems, along with all sorts of funky twitches.

Oh, and my pituitary gland is whacked and won't stop producing prolactin, so I have to take an inhibitor. 

So.

Do I have a weird period?  Yes.  Do I have a neurological problem?  Yes.  Is it a migraine or is it catamenial - who the hell knows, not my neuro!

All I know is this:  every time I say "I'm done with kids, I'm sick of my head hurting every time I go into my cycle, why don't you just yank my shit out", they patiently say to me....

It's more complicated than that.  Because it is.  Because our girl shit is only half of the equasion.  Sure, our ovaries are producing hormones, and thus stimulating ovulation, etc. etc. but the catalyst is in our head, not our belly. 

The message for everything is coming from our pituitary gland; just yanking out our plumbing won't effect our head's message.  In the same vein, giving us a shot to supress ovulation cannot stop organic depression, nor can it stop an electrical storm in our head.  Why?  The message still goes out from our head - blocking it at our ovaries is irrelevant to all our other issues.

At least in my understanding.

I have to admit that given the track record of psychiatry and womens reproductive parts, I'm not real hip on the idea of fixing a brain problem at the ovaries either. But if its a pattern, I can predict it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If only we could figure out someway to block those pathways between the brain and the girlie parts...my biggest problem...no pattern...I know if I dont sleep well or if Im stressed, then Im in danger, but basically in the past its been hit or miss, so as the months that pass that I am OK, I let off a big sigh of relief...it sucks, I really dont want to have seizures because they are so SUPER scarey, but I dont want to get depressed either, both would be hell for my kids, and its like an evil trade off, walking into the doctors office to try this deppro out, feels almost like a guinea pig thing, maybe I'll do fine, but what if I dont...yet, every month Im biting my nails before bed hoping I wake up ok...I dont know, still gonna talk yo the doc, see what she says...so far, Im on a big combo of meds, and havent sufferred a big tonic in a while...so thats hopefull.

Unfortunately, depo is just what I don't need, as I need MORE estrogen due to PCOD, and am also (possibly foolishly) trying to get myself knocked up by a fine GAS (Genetically Acceptable Specimen). And no, it's not the guy I'm obsessiong about on the other thread. This one's a boring, no MI, no epilepsy, fairly intelligent, ordinary as cheese crumbs right up his family tree and most importantly, O Neg donor who (yeeech) listens to Lynard Skynard and is happily married so, no chance of an actual relationship.

I wonder what pregnancy hormones will do to my seizures, if I am, in fact, knocked up? I've never asked because, well, I didn't want to be told I was an idiot for trying to get pregnant while unmarried. But frankly, I've been married. And divorced. I'm coming to the conclusion that boys are useless when it comes to anything that requires them to be reliable, and more importantly, I'm 34. Yes. Thirty Four. I SO do not want to be my Aunt Mad and wind up taking my kid to school functions and having people say "How nice! You brought your grandmother!"

I wonder what pregnancy hormones will do to my seizures, if I am, in fact, knocked up? I've never asked because, well, I didn't want to be told I was an idiot for trying to get pregnant while unmarried. But frankly, I've been married. And divorced. I'm coming to the conclusion that boys are useless when it comes to anything that requires them to be reliable, and more importantly, I'm 34. Yes. Thirty Four. I SO do not want to be my Aunt Mad and wind up taking my kid to school functions and having people say "How nice! You brought your grandmother!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Ive had 2 children, I was on a lower dose of tegretol, it was my number one concern as far as birth defects...both of my kids were fine. Both of the pregnancies were fine, no complecations, no seizures. My neuro told me some women actually do better while pregnant.

My biggest concern, of course, was the medication because both of my pregnancies were unexpected. And dont worry, I know parents who have waited way longer to have children than 34!!!

No siezures.

And....

Well, I'm DEFINATELY not pregnant.

DAMN IT!

Its NOT FAIR! I did everything right, and some extra stuff, and charms and spells and all kinds of things. And BUZZ. Nothing. All these chicks I know, they look cross eyed at the right guy or more often , the WRONG guy, and BLAMMO, Preg-ooo, its in there.

Dude, I went to Pennsic with fertility drugs, prenatal vitamins, an RH compatibile donor with no history of MI or fertility problems, basal thermometer, pee-on-a-stick ovulation predictor, all these super special charms that friends have used successfully, get Reki and energy adjusted, have goddamn POMAGRANITES hennaed on my palms, and NADA.

FUCKCHEESE! I've been trying this for SEVEN YEARS,  NRGGGGG! ;)

I'm going to die alone and be found weeks later half eaten by my 36 cats and a stray Alsation. And be buried in potter's field as a Jane Doe. :)

I'm going to go cry now, and not just from the cramps.

Zon,

It sounds cheesy as hell, but you know as well as the rest of us do that if it didn't happen this month, there is a reason why.  And it isn't anything you did or didn't do.

And next time, pillows under the butt, ankles around the ears, and stay there for 15 minutes after. (you can drop your ankles....)

Amazon,

I also wanted to mention...that I have a friend that was desperately trying to get pregnant. She was trying EVERYTHING. She and her husband finally 'gave up'. They quit qith the charts, the graphs, the schedules, the thermometer, everything. They just decided to grow old together and raise their dogs.

About 2 months after they gave up trying, I get this crazy phone call, with her screaming that she's pregnant. Theyve since had 3 more kids. So dont get discouraged!

Zon,

It sounds cheesy as hell, but you know as well as the rest of us do that if it didn't happen this month, there is a reason why.  And it isn't anything you did or didn't do.

And next time, pillows under the butt, ankles around the ears, and stay there for 15 minutes after. (you can drop your ankles....)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, 6, I WOULD ask if you were TOTALLY FUCKING INSANE with this one but I already know the answer.  ;)

Know any other advanced youga trick I could use fir this? Cos, you know, with my fibo and fused spine are RIGHT up to this,  :)  

Maybe it was the wine. I dunno. I've heard every wierdass piece of layman's advice in the last 7 years on how to get pregnant, and have used them all in turn. Maybe I should try them all at once. I will wind up either a] pregnant or b]dead

BTW, no siezure this month either. Whoot.

Archived