CrazyBoards.org

Can't be happy without therapist screaming......

Now perhaps I am over reacting to this one, but whilst my psychiatrist has never said anything to suggest that I am even slightly bipolar, I have this therapist who seems overly eagar to label me with this condition.

I admit, that I feel fucking incredible at the moment, and whilst I have tremendous confidence in my abilities to do just about anything, I am certain that this is a genuine make up of my personality.  When I got depressed, my life was PERFECT on the exterior, and I had plenty that would make other people very happy.  Now I am experiencing some relief from that depression, and I am feeling the way a person in my position should feel (sorry if I am comming off as arrogant here, but I've got to be honest).

Whilst my understanding of this condition is limited, I do sometimes feel that therapists and doctors are too eagar too label people as bipolar.  What makes it even more strange is that I am in the UK, and docs over here do not officially like to officially diagnose every little problem that you might have.

Now if I was to get totally out of control (and I know it is hard for a person suffering from a condition of this nature to look at things with an objective mind), and my therapist could recognise this, then fine. But when I ask her if there is a problem with the way I am feeling, there is none according to her.

And yet I can see her digging away at me with every question - it is obvious that she heavily suspects something.

Maybe I am being unreasonable here, but it just pisses me off - it is as if somebody is out to steal my happiness!

Has anyone here experienced similiar feelings?

Maybe I am being unreasonable here, but it just pisses me off - it is as if somebody is out to steal my happiness!

No, but I can't remember what being happy without being manic is like.  Sounds like you are just getting better.  What a shame.  Wouldn't want that now would we? 

In my experience, docs were too reluctant to label me as bipolar.  I guess they didn't believe me since I had never run up huge debts or driven cross-country on a whim or had delusions. 

I guess the question would be, what are the symptoms that your therapist thinks are indicative of bipolar disorder?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So can relate. In the early days when I was starting to figure out my pdoc thought I was bipolar, I had this bewildering exchange. I got really high on my first dose of neurontin (100mg) in an MDMA kind of way, all silky. So, I called and another pdoc who was available tried to convince me it wasn't the neurontin, but ME "never heard of neurontin causing hypomania." Then he read from my file, "says here, bubbly, giggly--isn't that the problem?"

I couldn't believe my ears! Since when was that bad? But I've come to realize it's really about what's causing problems in your life. Whether it's the mania or the depression that's putting a wrench in your life, your bipolarity gives a clue about the appropriate form of treatment. It could be that the hypo- could be excellent and productive. No one wants to take that away from you. But we want to take away the depression and keep an eye of caution on the hypomania because in many of us bipolars, it has been known to mess with our judgement (even I will attest to this). Ultimately, pdocs really are on your side (in theory). I've even stopped making my mania bars extra short in my mood chart ;)

...actually, let me amend this. My pdoc was awful eager to stamp out my mania first BEFORE treating the depression. We butted heads over this. So...it all depends on whether the mania has caused problems or not.

Archived