CrazyBoards.org

Going To The Doctor

Guest Digital_Yegg

Guest Digital_Yegg

I'm headed to the doctor next week to see about getting tested for Adult ADD. I'm in my late 20s and have always had problems staying interested or motivated about anything.  As a kid, my parents though ADD was a load of hogwash and as a result I was never put on any sort of drug.  I made it though college, but it was a nightmare of repeated classes and C grades. Now I'm working in a field which requires alot of attention to detail and quick thinking.  Needless to say, I'm falling into the same situation I experienced in school; basically lagging behind and struggling with the minutia.  When I'm in a meeting, I sort of zone out. No matter how hard I try, my mind drifts out and I miss 75% of what was said. So next week I'm seeing a doctor about this. I'm not sure which drugs are readily prescribed nowadays. Whats the "in" drug? I've seen a few, but I'm not sure what the most commone one is. Thanks and hopefully I'll remember I wrote this so I can check any responses!

First off, I hope your doctor has some experience or an open mind about ADD. It wasn't so long ago that everyone thought it was just a kids problem. Some therapists and psychiatrists don't believe much in it, from what I hear.

Drugs help, but they are not the whole story. You will want to arrange for some therapy or something. If you can find a support group, this may help you locate local resources. It's kind of neat to meet other people who struggle with the same stuff, too. Not all kinds of therapy are equally good. For ADD, it seems that something relatively structured helps. Another thing is to have someone who you just make daily short reports to about your progress on things. But you'll need to poke around and do your homework on this. Suggest the "Distraction" books from Hallowell, and there's plenty of other stuff out there, including on this board. CBT seems to be the therapy of choice, tho I'm not sure how much the labels matter.

I have had the same problem with meetings, to the point of falling asleep. I found a few minutes of vigorous exercise in the morning before work helped a lot, tho of course that's not the whole thing.

The most commonly prescribed meds for this are the stimulants. Most often

Ritalin, Adderall, or Dexedrine. There are others. Strattera is supposed to be a non stimulating drug for this. Other people report improvements from Welbutrin. The nice thing about the stimulants is that you don't have to wait. You'll feel it in  minutes or an hour or something.

I'm headed to the doctor next week to see about getting tested for Adult ADD. I'm in my late 20s and have always had problems staying interested or motivated about anything.  As a kid, my parents though ADD was a load of hogwash and as a result I was never put on any sort of drug.  I made it though college, but it was a nightmare of repeated classes and C grades. Now I'm working in a field which requires alot of attention to detail and quick thinking.  Needless to say, I'm falling into the same situation I experienced in school; basically lagging behind and struggling with the minutia.  When I'm in a meeting, I sort of zone out. No matter how hard I try, my mind drifts out and I miss 75% of what was said. So next week I'm seeing a doctor about this. I'm not sure which drugs are readily prescribed nowadays. Whats the "in" drug? I've seen a few, but I'm not sure what the most commone one is. Thanks and hopefully I'll remember I wrote this so I can check any responses!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived