CrazyBoards.org

Sleep apnea = more anxiety?

I know I have sleep apnea, but that CPAP machine....GAAAAH! Forget it.

Then I read in the paper the other day that every time you stop breathing at night? You body gives you a little jolt of adrenaline to get you going again.

I'm thinking...could this account for extra anxiety, nightmares, night terrors, etc?

I'm going to see a surgeon soon anyway. Hell, who needs a Uvula?

Amazon,

The CPAP is a pain in the ass, to be blunt.  But the difference between using it and not using it is like incredible. I was exhausted and at the end of my rope physically and mentally, when I was re-tested for sleep apnea in a modern sleep lab two years ago. Getting on the CPAP turned my world around in about a month.

The key is getting high quality CPAP and a well fitted mask of the type that suites you. If it isn't comfortable and letting you sleep reasonably well then something is wrong and needs to be changed. You have to fight to get what you need. The insurance company just wants to pay for the cheapest equipment and the DME providers want to maximize profit by fitting you once with the cheapest equipment.

I've tried about 6 different mask types and 2 CPAP to find the best combo so far. Nothing is perfect and my sleep still varies in quality, but I can tell a big difference in my mental alertness and headache levels between a couple nights on the couch versus a night in bed with the cpap.

I'm not keen on surgery.  Most of the surgery outcomes are no better than 50-60% in any improvement. I don't heal quickly and have a low pain threshold so unless I'm gonna get guaranteed results, they arent' going to go cutting up my throat and palate.

Reasons why you want to get treated:

- oxygen saturation drops below 90% are associated with long term cumulative brain damage

- apnea causes cortisol (adrenaline) spikes that wear down the body long term

- associated with high blood pressure

- associated with increased diabetes risk

- associated with increases in body weight (on the other hand you don't have to be a fat middle aged man to have apnea)

- increased strain on heart can lead to (left ?) side heart enlargement and failure

Success with a CPAP is driven largely by patient attitude and also by good equipment selection and fit.

Good luck. A.M.

I know I have sleep apnea, but that CPAP machine....GAAAAH! Forget it.

Then I read in the paper the other day that every time you stop breathing at night? You body gives you a little jolt of adrenaline to get you going again.

I'm thinking...could this account for extra anxiety, nightmares, night terrors, etc?

I'm going to see a surgeon soon anyway. Hell, who needs a Uvula?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amazon,

My husband has had 2 sinus/throat surgeries and he STILL snores horribly at night and stops breathing (apnea).  They were both very, very painful and recovery time is quite long for that type of surgery.  There are mouth appliances that you can try that are supposed to keep your airway open.  I would try the CPAP or those before surgery.  Treatment of any allergies should also make a difference. 

Good luck!

Like I said, I tried CPAP. It sucked. A lot. Even when I DID manage to sleep with it on? I ripped it off in my sleep. Ditto for mouth devices (also have bruxism; no go there either). I also need to breathe at night in places where there is no electricity.

Plus it made the cats insane. Any data from anyone here about how long it takes seven zooey cats who HAVE to sleep on The Mama to adjust to the Darth Vader Machine?  Last time I gave up after a week, so they might be more flexible than I give them credit for.

Also: am still single and have delusions of personal attractiveness in bed. Satin nightgown, snuggling, touseled hair....Vader Mask. Ruling out any cute little whispering things. Or compliments on my lips.

Maybe there's a middle ground here somewhere, but I would rather have a permanent solution than a pain in the ass band aid that only works at home and only sort of and part of the time.

Add to this: My uvula has a distressing tendency to get infected about once a year. Why? Dunno. The Ear, Nose and Throat guy is pretty mystified too, especially when it turns out not to ever be any of the usual, or unusual germs, just some sort of mystery eosiniphiliac granuloma complex that nearly chokes me. I wind up on steriods and dream about drowning.

But if even the surgury won't work???

Bugger.

Shoot me now.

• 2 weeks later...

what type of mask do you have? is it one that covers your whole nose and mouth, or one that just covers your nose?  i have one of those mini ones, and i absolutely LOVE it.  i have sleep apnea but not only do i stop breathing, i desat so i have oxygen feed into the cpap, so it's great when i'm sick, freaking out, etc.

you WILL hate the thing at first.  but trust me, it will change your life.  you will become a different person with a good night's sleep.

Archived