CrazyBoards.org

switch from Klono to ativan

Hi,

For medical reasons, I cannot take klonopin anymore. I use to take 0,5 to 1 mg a day. Now my psychiatrist wants to swich me from klono to ativan cold turkey. I mean, tomorrw I will be able to take the equivalency of Ativan = 1 mg. Can I do that??? Does my brain will be ok with it???

Thanks

sorry..i'm not any kind of medical authority, and i also haven't been on klonopin myself..but i would  not recommend getting off of it cold turkey.

there was a girl in a treatment program with me who got taken off of klonopin too soon, and had a seizure (in front of all of us while we were eating lunch..it was an e.d. program .. we were all kind of freaked out..and the staff didn't know what caused it at first, so they just shipped her to the cardiac unit)

off course, i'm not sure how much of it she was on, or how long she was on it for.. my sister is also on it and don't think she would be advised to get off of it cold turkey.

i could be totally wrong with your situation, and it could have more to do w/ the individual..but in general, i think that klonopin is one of those meds that people should not get off cold turkey?

please don't take these thoughts as truth.. just the very limited feedback i can offer. of course, if the klonopin is causing you medical probles as it is, i can understand why you would be advised to get it off completely. i would listen to your p-doc if you trust him, but don't hesitate to ask questions or bring up your concerns.

best wishes..

Hi,

For medical reasons, I cannot take klonopin anymore. I use to take 0,5 to 1 mg a day. Now my psychiatrist wants to swich me from klono to ativan cold turkey. I mean, tomorrw I will be able to take the equivalency of Ativan = 1 mg. Can I do that??? Does my brain will be ok with it???

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm no expert but if you're substituting another benzo it is not really cold turkey.

i won't quote the equivalency charts (i'm guessing someone else will geive their opinion on dosage) because they don't seem to hold for me, but i can say i've switched benzos or combos of benzos a few times and it's not like stopping all together.

Hi,

Thanks

Essentially that switch should be fine.  The dosage equivalents are about the same, and with the exception of xanax, all of the benzos are quite good substitutes for each other.

The only thing you may find is that the short half life of atvian means you dont get the round the clock coverage that klonopin was giving you.

Not sure what your dr has advised, but you may find that taking .5mg atvian 2x per day will feel more like the 1mg klonopin once per day. 

Hi,

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the benzo equivalency charts at benzo.org.uk: 0.5 mg klonopin (why don't people use the names of the chemical substances, in this case clonazepam ? It really annoys me.) is equal to 1 mg of ativan. You said you used 0.5 to 1 mg of klonopin. To get that equivalent you should be able to take 1 to two mg of ativan.

Just one mg of ativan may be a bit on the low side.

And there is no way of telling how your body is going to respond to the ativan. It may even turn out to be the wrong drug for you.

And for as far as I know, the half-life of ativan is a lot shorter. Clonazepam (or klonopin, if you insist!) has a long half-life and can often be taken once a day. At the top of my head, I don't remember the half-life (the time it takes for your body to break down 50% of the substance) of ativan (lorazepam) is a lot shorter than clonazepam.

When are you supposed to take the ativan ? And when did you take the clonazepam ? And what do you use it for ? All relevant questions to answer your question.

The best answer I can give you: I don't know if ativan is the best choice for you. I don't know how much ativan you are going to need. And I don't know how your body will respond well to the ativan. But I suspect you will need to take ativan more then once a day. Maybe two or three times. And that leaves us to the question of the dosage. My best guess would be anything from 1 mg to 3 mg a day. I really think you need to contact your doctor and discuss the dosage-frequency and total dosage a day. And if you need to use the ativan before you can contact your doctor, (I know I'm not supposed to say this) use your own discretion on how to use it. Just make sure you don't take too much and get addicted.

Archived